Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Downsizing

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 23310 times)

Outrayjust

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »

Ivy! Good to hear from you again. 20 pounds in three months is quite impressive. And it's very common to have a nice run at loosing and hit a plateau. It's cyclical. So keep with it! You'll have another whoosh before you know it!

~Outy

Oslo

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

agreed!
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

Ivy

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »

Hello SLD folks. I had a lot of success with SLD two years ago, but the effect seemed to "wear off." I'm ready to try it again and see if I can't tackle the issues I had. I'd love to get some feedback on my troubleshooting ideas.

1: Taking the oil started to make me want to retch every single morning, and it was followed with about an hour or two of just unpleasantness. That was really fine with me and I was willing to put up with it as long as I was losing weight. When I stopped losing weight and my appetite came back full force, it wasn't such a great trade-off, though.

2: That brings me to the big question: why did my appetite come back? I think what happened is that I started to associate "morning breath" with the calories in the oil and also probably the smell of breakfast that I was cooking for other people. I didn't really put that together until after I had been off the diet for several months. I'm planning to buy a set of noseclips this time (I didn't do any noseclipping last time, just flavorless calories once a day which worked for awhile) and drink Stephen/Ethesis's morning protein shake at about 10am, keep the noseclips on for an hour, and then go about my day.

Any other ideas? It's been two years since I gave up and I have gained back everything I lost. SLD was such a relief to me while it worked- I really want to find a way to make it work longer-term this time.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

weight > set point = great AS
set point > weight = hunger

if your weight is below your set point, then you will feel hunger, your body does not want you to lose weight, so it will make you hungry again, until your set point drops back below your weight again.
you have to stick it out until your set point drops again, then AS will return.
Possibly this is why you thought it stopped working.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

shovelqueen

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »

I mix my oil with whipping cream to reduce the Yuck factor.  It's really much easier to take that way.  You just need to reduce the oil amount by the cals in the WC.  I use 1 tbsp oil (120 cals) and 1 tbsp WC (50 cals) for a total of 170 cals or so.  Shake them up until they homogenize, then drink while holding your breath or NC'ing.  No oily mouthfeel or aftertaste. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Ivy

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »

weight > set point = great AS
set point > weight = hunger

if your weight is below your set point, then you will feel hunger, your body does not want you to lose weight, so it will make you hungry again, until your set point drops back below your weight again.
you have to stick it out until your set point drops again, then AS will return.
Possibly this is why you thought it stopped working.

Does one typically need to stick it out for a period of months to get the AS back? I kept taking the oil for a solid two months after my appetite returned. After that amount of time, it didn't seem like it was going to come back, and making myself sick daily for no AS benefit was not working. Later on, I thought about the "morning breath" flavor connection and it was kind of an AHA! moment for me. I saw on here where Ethesis says it happened to him when he was taking oil in the middle of the night.

Whipping cream is a good idea SQ, thanks! I hope a mix-in agent plus the judicious use of noseclips will make the difference for me this time.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »

maybe it is the morning breath.  this plan seems to work very differently for everyone.

Ivy

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »

Yeah, it's kind of mysterious- and some of us seem to need to keep switching things up to keep it working.

I need to lose that ticker in my sig, it's depressing.

Ivy

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »

Me again...

So I tried back in March and didn't have much success. I've joined a roller derby team and am exercising strenuously many times per week, so I chalked it up to all the extra activity. Anyway, I was taking oil and whipping cream with noseclips, and it wasn't doing anything at all. After a couple weeks I  had gained a few pounds, so I got frustrated and quit again.

Now, I still believe this diet works. It worked for me at one time, and the effect was amazing. I desperately want to get that effect back. So I've been thinking about it a lot and I'm going to regroup and try again. I may lose my steam but I keep coming back.  ;D

Here are the things I've been thinking:

1) Since I started exercising in January, I had lost a little weight before I tried SLD again in March. I think it's likely that my setpoint hadn't caught up with me and I might have seen some progress had I stuck with it for longer.

2) Having said that, I do think that I began to associate my own mouth-taste with the oil, the first time back in the day. I saw some threads on here about "supertasters," took the BBC test and studied my tongue, and it turns out I am one. D'oh!

3) With 2) in mind, I think I need to just spend more time in noseclips for this to work for me. This most recent time I was only noseclipping for when I took the oil/whipping cream, and then I was taking them off once I rinsed.

4) In conclusion: what I plan to try is just wearing noseclips for a 2 hour window daily, with a dose in the middle. And waiting longer to see if it works.

Now I just need to decide what to take. Since I'll be noseclipping, I could take coconut and/or flax since I like the health benefits of them... but should I stick with oils that are flavorless for normal tasters to offset my supertasting? Or will the noseclips take care of that?

Thanks for being patient with me as I return time after time.  ;D

la-di-da

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »

Hi Ivy- I'm restarting, too. It's been about three weeks and although I have decent AS, the weight hasn't really come off yet- at least not like I want it to. The two years I was on the diet, I was able to maintain a tolerable weight- not as low as I wanted it to be, but within a normal range.

There were times in that two year period where I would miss days, kind of screw up and it always took a while to get back on track. I seem to be very sensitive to any changes in the routine- how much oil I take, when I take it, switching oils- that kind of thing. It's taking a really long time with this go, but like you, I have confidence it will kick in at some point.

I hope you iron out the glitches and find a routine you can stick with. I was going to make a change this weekend, but I've seen some legit weight loss, I think, and I don't want to mess with things. Good luck--

ponytale

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 04:24:07 AM »

That's good to know - if th set point is higher than weight, I'll be hungry.   Very interesting.  I wondered why after about a week and a half I would be hungry/ravenous.  Now I know what I have to do - I think.   Just hang in there in other words, to lower my set point.  Is this correct Narky?  I certainly don't want to gain while I'm waiting on set point.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 10:31:25 AM »

when your set point drops below your weight, your body will want you to lose weight to match your set point.

when your weight drops below your set point, your body will want you to gain weight to match your set point, and it does this by making you hungry.
if you can stick it out, your body will give up, and your set point will drop below your weight and you won't be hungry.

tinka

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »

Ivy, your story sounds similar to mine.  SLD worked GREAT first time around - 22 lbs melted off effortlessly (I was about 22 lbs above my usual set point).  Then I tried the diet again and the oil had no effect.  I gave it many many weeks.  I gave up.  This time I'm using a different oil - flaxseed, noseclipped, and I have pretty good AS.  Sometimes I am hungry, but I don't feel like I have to eat.  I don't know if I'd say the AS is rock solid like it was the first time, but good enough for now.  So maybe when you go to CO or flaxseed, SLD will work better for you.  But the other reason it might possibly be working better for me this time is my starting point was a little higher.  I'm about to hit what I believe is my set point, so we'll see how that goes.  I've got another 4 lbs or so before I hit it.   

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18