Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Downsizing

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 23645 times)

pilaf

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »

Hi Ivy,

I am new here, too, and have ennjoyed your posts.

Speaking of the "clean plate club" (charter member myself), I have also always "saved the best for last" but now I am trying to eat the stuff I REALLY want first and am finding more food left on my plate than in the past.

I get it about the relatives noticing the smaller plate or you not eating as much as usual.  I have told people I am taking oil for the omega 3's and not mentioned the diet so I don't have the spotlight on me and my attempts at weight loss. I would probably take the under the radar approach and make up a diplomatic story" Oh, I've been nibbling all day, so I am not that hungry,"  or something like that.  Food is a big part of family/socializing and the cultural stuff will be harder to deal with that the physical hunger, I think.

Practice saying "no" to food you are offered in low pressure situations, like the waitress asking you if you want dessert, (before T-Giving when everyone is around and Aunt Mary's famous pie is there in all its glory)  You could also compliment people on the appearance of their dish, or the acknowledge the work that went into it, or what a great cook you know they are etc. without having to taste it to make people happy. I have HUGE problems with not wanting to make other people feel bad: I have even eaten more of restaurant food than I wanted so the waitstaff/cook wouldn't feel bad about me leaving a lot on the plate, and really they could probably give a rat's behind what customer number 263 left on their plate.

pilaf

anacara

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »

you are right ivy... there are all kinds of complicated reasons why some people pile on the pounds and others don't - even when eating the same food.

yes, but cutting carbohydrate completely will work for anyone... especially if you're already doing lovely SLD

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »

yes - but cutting carbs is not sustainable for me.... :(  so i'm doing my best to stick to oats and wholegrain bread.

Ivy

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »

yes - but cutting carbs is not sustainable for me.... :(  so i'm doing my best to stick to oats and wholegrain bread.

Same here. I feel like I could do it for now while my enthusiasm is high, but my number one priority is doing this in a way that I can do for life. My carb intake is pretty drastically cut just by virtue of cutting out all the junk I was eating. I love fruits of all kinds, so I don't think I could cut them out for good, but I can mostly do without bread and stuff. If I recall correctly, Seth mentioned in SLD that he thinks low carb diets work because the remaining choices are slowly-digested foods that keep you satisfied for longer naturally.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »

it is a lot easier to cut out the processed carbs, like bread, pasta, etc.  and keep the whole carbs, like fruit, whole potatoes, vegetables, etc
It is the processed carbs that I do poorly on.

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Ivy

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »

Yep. They make me hungrier.

Weighed in today and was a pound and a half up from the last time I weighed, but I'm expecting a visitor in the next day or two. I think you guys call him TOM. So I'm not too worried about that nasty little pound and its shrimpy friend.

xtine

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Ivy, you're doing great! Welcome, and you are in the right place.  I'm in the category of "less to lose" but like you, have struggled and never succeeded with diets before.  On SLD I've here four months now, and have lost 12 lbs (a lot for me, that's 10% of my starting weight).  It really IS different than other diets if you have patience and stick with it.  The difference for me is the same as you mention-- which is that you're not constantly fighting powerful cravings (pushing a boulder up hill).  My appetites have changed too =---I prefer vegetables, and sometimes crave foods like radishes-- many people report this.  I now believe that our bodies drive our appetites, it's very little to do with "will power", and that SLD re-calibrates the internal triggers that set off hunger and craving.  BUT-- and this is a very big but-- I think junk food derails the process and pushes the body into a completely different state, a state that causes fatness through craving and imbalance.  So it's wonderful that you're moving away from these diet-killers!

Everyone is different, and the beauty of these forums is how open and supportive it is--- lots of different applications of the SLD theory--- the thing that's been helping me a lot lately in addition to the oil is apple cider vinegar.  It really helps with the recalibration of appetite  and digestion, I feel better inside when I take it and also my tastes move towards whole foods and vegies, sugar cravings really drop.  My weight loss since I began taking a TBSP in water 2 or 3x a day has really accelerated.

You mention insomnia-- no wonder you've been struggling with hunger.  The hormones leptin and ghrelin control hunger and one of them (I never remember which is which) is much higher without enough sleep--the one that makes you hungry.This is another thing that flax seed oil is brilliant for--- it helps you sleep.  I take my dose at night and it works like a charm.  (You have to nose-clip it or take capsules though because it has a strong smell and taste).

One last thing: some of us track our weight on the Hackers' Diet website, because it charts a moving average from daily weight fluctuations.  That way you can follow a pattern without being derailed by the daily ups and downs.  It's helped my sanity and to chart real (if slow) progress over time.

Karky is our resident genius of the very big loss, if she can do it you can too.  Good luck and keep us posted!!

Outrayjust

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »

Ivy, while I didn't do it with SLD, I did loose over 100 pounds nearly a decade ago. And I kept most of it off. Obviously I packed a little back on. Life, don'tcha know! But as you can see, I've taken off 26 pounds on SLD in about 3 months (in reality, I think it's more like 36+....I regained and re-lost a few of those pounds a few times  :lol: )

This is doable. Good luck!

~Outy

Ivy

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the support! I am SO IMPRESSED with you guys who have lost so much weight! I really am desperate for SLD to work. My weight has been starting to cause health problems (high BP, heart flutters) so I was getting more and more serious about investigating surgical options before I found out about SLD. Now I feel like I've gotten a reprieve.

Help me, Obi Seth Roberts, you're my only hope.  :lol:

xtine

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »

Hang in there Ivy.  Hope is the most powerful medicine when allied to a daily practice.  You'll get there if you stick with it, I know you will. 

Ivy

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

I DJ'ed my little brother's wedding reception last night. I was a little worried about overindulging the delicious meal and WEDDING CAKE (love it love it love it). It felt so awesome to take a small amount of food, share about 1/3 of it with my 3yo son, and leave some on the plate (including the whole roll which would NEVER have happened before). And to then share a small piece of wedding cake with my husband, and not finish THAT, even together.

And then I probably danced most of that off after the dinner! :)

I signed up for the Hacker's Diet weight tracking tool and I think it will be very helpful for me to see the Big Picture rather than focusing on tiny day-to-day fluctuations or setting my heart on the results of a weekly weigh-in. I'm still getting used to the "trend" thing, and don't quite understand how that is calculated, but I'm sure it will all become clear with further reading.

shovelqueen

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

Sounds like you did great handling a challenging situation!  Great going!! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »

great you had a lovely time a your brothers wedding!!!  and did it without indulging!!!

Outrayjust

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 10:50:48 AM »

Yay, Ivy!

By the way, you are so beautiful. We can all see it. Allow yourself to. Kindness and acceptance are the windows to success, Ivy. Gentle steps forward. Before you know it, you'll be looking back and wondering why it all seemed as hard and crucial and crazy as it did.

~Outy

Ivy

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »

Oh, Outy, thank you. You are so uplifting. I really want to see that in myself, but I guess I can't expect it to all come at once.

Still, every day I have a little more confidence that this is the real thing, and I really might be able to take this all the way. I heard on the radio today that dark chocolate is supposed to be really good for heart health, and that half a bar a week is the magic amount that delivers the most benefit. In the past, that would have been an opportunity to beat myself up for 1) preferring heart-unhealthy milk chocolate, and 2) not being able to stick to a limit like half a bar a week, even with my less favored type of chocolate. This time, it was an opportunity to head to Trader Joe's for the highest percentage dark chocolate I could find, with the knowledge that I could eat a square a day, or if I occasionally wanted a little more it would be okay.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18