Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: ...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started  (Read 56789 times)

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Re: ...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 02:54:43 AM »

The best balsamic vinegar comes from Modena in Italy. It is really thick and syrupy. I have a bottle of this. Apparently the more expensive, the better the quality. I'm still very much a "vinegar virgin" so I'm playing with it to see what happens. If I understand correctly, it's not just ACV that has good benefits, other vinegars can too. Balsamic comes high on that list.

The idea of using it with food is not really that new, it's just that people got lazy and went more towards packaged convenience foods. I feel this is a big mistake. The other day I made a salad up, baby spinach, tomatoes, mature cheddar, croutons, pine nuts plus a local trail mix (almonds, hazelnuts, raisins and pieces of grape jelly) I just drizzled white truffle spiked EVOO and balsamic vinegar over it. I took this into work and ate it over the afternoon. At the bottom, the raisins had soaked up the oil and vinegar, they were really good to eat.

I've had salmon cooked in balsamic vinegar before, the vinegar reduces during cooking, it becomes very syrupy. Just pouring it over veggies seems to work, adding some EVOO as well can be good. I'm out of white truffle oil right now, need to get another bottle, a little of that goes a long way. Fruits soaked in balsamic with some sugar added - go for good sugar here - raw or unrefined. If you have a hatred of sugar, I guess you could use one of the chemical variants, though personally I avoid them. If I want sweetness, I use sugar or honey - come to think of it, honey would work well with balsamic.

As far as sugar goes, I have unrefined demerara. My first coffee usually has a spoonful in it, sometimes a bit more. After that, I just pour the rest of the coffee in and don't add more sugar. Sometimes, I don't even bother with the sugar at all.

I'll dig out some recipes when I'm not so busy. I need to try some anyway to try out this new theory.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:54:58 AM by falconcy »
A legend in his own lunch hour

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 03:27:09 AM »

Hey Falconcy!! you're looking very handsome in your new pic!

falconcy

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »

I'm up earlier this morning after a good nights sleep. Off for a walk in a bit. I need to do this and it has to be done regularly. Gonna have some oil, walk, then eat something when I get back. Now there's a good strategy if you can make the time to do it.

xtine

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »

Yes, I mostly do this too -- take CO before I'm really awake, then walk or run round the park.  Come home, shower and have my nice pot of morning tea.  I love this routine, especially since the park is pretty and changes every day.

falconcy

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »

I'm starting to get back into a routine. Taking the oil when I wake up, going for a walk, then getting on with the day. In theory, my body will already be in burning mode at the start of the day. Keeping the food intake steady and good quality will hopefully keep things being burned as soon as they are ingested. The gym is having some repairs done due to a burst pipe, hopefully that will be back up and running again soon.

I think A/S is starting to kick in a bit. I'm more thirsty than hungry right now after the walk. That said, I ate a lot of stroganoff and rice last night. It was delicious and I felt hungry.

Starting to walk again in the mornings will hopefully restart the downward momentum again and I will be able to get down to where I know I want to be.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 03:10:01 AM »

a belated welcome back! All this talk of Carrefour reminds me of my neighborhood here in Beijing, where the ultimate store is a two-level Carrefour, a 10-minute bike ride away. It sells not only yogurt and raw meat but also towels, sandals, and electric bikes.

falconcy

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »

I'm guessing China would be a bit of a culture shock after California. I'd heard they had Carrefour there, I wonder how close it is to the European version.

I'm wondering what to eat tonight. I don't fancy anything I have in the fridge and the shops are all closed by the time I get home, which sucks big time. I may make some kind of stir fry or I may go out and eat, take away is another option. I'm in one of those confused states of mind where I want to eat something, I just don't know what or even if I'm really hungry. This could be down to A/S.

falconcy

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:30 AM »

Taking food into work as opposed to buying it from a take-away is a good strategy. The main danger there is cooking too much and then eating it. My way of dealing with that is to offer it to various colleagues who will appreciate it. Today I made a Pork Tikka Masala with Rice and Peach Chutney. I forewarned a colleague not to order from outside and got the response "bring it on" - he polished it off in half the time I took to eat mine. Heard him telling a colleague in greek just how good it was and he told me it was restaurant quality. He also said he normally didn't like potato in curry, yet this was "bloody good".

falconcy

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

It's been a bad weekend. The stalker kept on at my G/F and did a total character assassination on me. I'm pretty sure that the ultimate aim was to hurt me. She succeeded in doing just that. It's hard when someone you love doesn't want to know and will walk away because someone has been pushing their buttons. We discussed it many times and each time I thought we'd moved on and it could no longer hurt us, there was another email sent, all designed to destroy her trust in me.

I'm off my food now. I feel really ill. It's like the feeling I had when my parents died. I can never love anybody else, nor do I want to.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 01:46:30 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that :-( you don't deserve it :-( if this serves  as consolation, I think you deserve better than someone who will believe others so easily instead of you.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 02:11:30 AM »

:(

i'm sorry these things are happening to you Falconcy!!!

at least know that you are so well-liked and respected here and try to take a tiny bit of comfort from that.

falconcy

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »

I'm really taking this badly. The character assassination was done in a very tactful way, yet the end result was the same. I have zero appetite. I don't want food. I have no passion to cook (this is a first for me, as you all well know) I think you guys know all too well that I will be able to go without food right to the very end.

Day 1:

Had a couple of cups of tea. Fluids may keep me alive longer, though how I feel right now, I don't have the will to live. I Love her that much and I'm prepared to go that far to prove it.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 11:35:39 AM »

DON'T EVEN THINK OF 'RIGHT TILL THE END'

of course you are hurt - badly - but don't forget to love yourself too.  this is all the work of a mentally unstable person - hang on in there things will come right in the end.

falconcy

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

It's 2:30am and we've been talking since 12:30 - still haven't eaten, starting to get my appetite back a bit.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:40 AM »

so glad things are looking a bit better.  best of luck that things work out.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18