Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: ...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started  (Read 56179 times)

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:07:30 AM »

I guess I need to get a thread back up, so here goes.

Food for me now is mostly vegetarian. I do eat meat from time to time, I also do fish and cheese is still on the menu. I don't use a lot of milk, most of the time avoiding it. I make an exception with a bit of fat free evaporated which I whip up to put on top of coffee to make a latte. Bread is wholegrain when I get it and the only time I will have a white flour product is when we have pizza in the office (I eat the vegetarian one), fresh pasta or when I may happen to eat a kebab.

I try to avoid ditto foods as much as possible, though chargrilled aubergine pesto is becoming a firm favorite. I try varying the taste a bit to avoid the ditto effect.

I'm drinking mostly tea these days, gallons of it. That gets me through the day and to some extent gives pretty good AS. I'm getting into work around 12:30 so I tend to eat at home before going in. This is a home cooked meal as opposed to junk food. That has to be a plus point. The problem is though that come 8:30, the rats are gnawing big time.

With winter starting to set in, I'm craving a few comfort foods, stuff that is a bit heavier than my normal fayre. Sticky toffee pudding, homemade steak and kidney pie (I must figure out how to make the pudding variety) Curries, Cassoulet, that kind of thing. Cooking for one is hard, I always cook too much, cooking for two is way easier.

Life is moving forward quite positively. The only stress point is the prodigal daughter, who seems hell bent on ruining her life and will have to learn the hard way. Like any parent, I care and it is really hard for me to see her doing this. Her latest trick has been to change her name, then she expects me to add her on Facebook with this new name. Request declined. Her display picture is bad enough and she does not look happy, it is like she has a lot of pain inside. I'll be there when she comes to her senses, providing of course that she does not alienate me in the meantime.
A legend in his own lunch hour

nougat

• Malta EU
Re: ...at the tail end - nearer than I was when I started
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:28 AM »

Hi Falconcy!!

glad to see you back and doing so well in being in control of life.

so sorry that your daughter is still giving you grief...  one way or another, whether they mean to or not our kids just make us worry... that's the flipside of being a parent.

hope your recent 'problem' has been resolved and of course..... WELCOME BACK

falconcy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:37 AM »

Bumped into somebody today that I used to work with and who hadn't seen since the beginning if the year, got a comment of WOW!! You've lost a lot of weight. It's comments like that which really mean something, we never notice just how far we've come, neither do people who see us every day. It's only when you see somebody you haven't seen in ages that you get a real picture of just how much progress you have made.

I've had a couple of heavy eating days this week. The funny thing is that the following day, I just don't feel hungry anymore. This is no guilt thing where one thinks that having overeaten the previous day that deprivation is in order, this is pure Appetite Suppression. I got Walnut and Raisin bread yesterday, normally I can pig out a whole loaf in one sitting. Half is still sat there and I don't even fancy it. I need to think of what I will eat later on for my evening meal - right now I couldn't even manage to eat. Even trying to think of what to eat is not giving me any ideas.

I didn't fancy fish this week, no decent Tuna Steak, so I got some Chicken instead. The plan is to cook it well and in small portions.

Got a couple of decent pillows, the ones that came with the apartment are crap, these should be a serious improvement. I had this kind of pillow when I was at the house.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:25:19 AM »

Great about the super compliment!!!   its totally true that something like that really boosts your confidence!!

xtine

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »

Welcome back Falconcy--- and yes, isn't it nice when someone notices the weight loss and compliments you?  (Funnily enough, when my partner lost 30 lbs lots of people thought he'd had a good haircut!!)  Glad you are doing well. 

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

:lol: xtine!!  wish i could cut my hair and lose 30lbs!!

falconcy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »

I was thinking I needed a good haircut, I was letting it grow and I always used to hate my hair longer. Now it is getting a bit longer, I'm think that I may keep it a bit longer, at least until the summer next year.

falconcy

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »

Yesterday in Carrefour, I found some of their own brand frozen berries. I got a bag each of strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants, all for around 5 Euros. I just made a smoothie, well, not really a smoothie. The fruit was of course frozen, I used a bit of each, I added a banana and some fat free evaporated milk. The result was more sorbet than smoothie, pretty delicious, sugar free and I know exactly what went into it.

shovelqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 06:10:21 AM »

Sounds yummy.  I'm a big fan of Fat-Free Carnation Milk.  Use it every day in my coffee.  I figure it's a double hit of protein and calcium, and I'm not much of a milk drinker otherwise. And it's so creamy - great in chowders and cream-type sauces. 

With the recent stuff in the medai about melamine in Chinese milk products, I've been having doubts about my beloved evap milk, though.  Just why is it so creamy? 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 07:20:41 AM »

http://www.greenhealthspot.com/2008/01/non-fat-milk-pr.html

after i read this finding several months ago i stopped buying skimmed milk and get full fat.  even canned...

falconcy

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »

I don't drink much milk anyway and I get plenty of sunshine, certainly a lot more than I did in more northern climes. I also drink green tea.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »

we get sunshine too - but sometimes its not the obvious 'vit d' or whatever but the complete item.

anyways with your medical background and knowledge about food i'm sure you will do what is best.

with all the conflicting  'studies' its often hard to decide what's really good for your health.  although it seems there's a consensus of 'closest to nature' being best.

falconcy

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 11:57:43 PM »

There was once a supposed medical study that drinking coffee with bacon would give you cancer. At that time, our whole team were practically living on coffee and bacon sandwiches when we were out on the road. Studies will prove whatever they set out to prove and have very little resemblance to real life situations. They don't take on board the presence of other foods that may well neutralize the effect.

I'm finding it much easier to not eat when I'm not hungry now. last night I split up my evening meal into two and ate a lot less than I had planned to eat. I just wasn't hungry.

andrea84

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »

with all the conflicting  'studies' its often hard to decide what's really good for your health.  although it seems there's a consensus of 'closest to nature' being best.

haha, isn't that the truth?  60 years ago (not that I was around then) Readers Digest posted a medical article that eating sugar gives you great energy.  So the next time you need to stay up late for a bridge or poker game eat lots of candy, and you'll be able to stay awake much longer than your card-playing partners!

-Re-Started Oct. 30, 2008

falconcy

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »

Shopping hours here have gone pear shaped again, seems we're an EU Country during the summer and the winter months people hibernate. Gone are the opening hours that fitted well with my work schedule. Now I have to find time in the morning to shop, a bit of a pain as I prefer shopping on the way home since this is more logical. Now I have to go somewhere, come back, then head off to work. This is bad time management.

I got a blender from Carrefour yesterday, this is better for making smoothies than the stick blender, the price was good, around a third of the price of a similar Morphy Richards one, even if it lasts half the time it's still a bargain.

I'm thinking of making Moussaka tonight, a big dish of it, and making it last 3-4 meals.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18