Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Thank you

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you  (Read 8935 times)

stillwater

Thank you
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:31:31 AM »

From January 13 2008 to June 29 I very gradually went from 139 lbs to 121 lbs lbs., and finally sorted out my relationship with food by following the book and reading other articles by Dr. Roberts.  My two sisters have had, and continue to have, astounding success with SLD.  I had been cautioned that the forums would  stall my progress by sending me off on meaningless tangents in the name of “experimenting”.

Intending to join the forums just to thank Dr. Roberts, I read some posts and found myself tempted to “tweak” by nose-clipping more than my normal 300-400 calories daily, thinking I would accelerate my loss.  Cravings returned, I gained 4 lbs in about 11 days, and generally felt terrible.  I returned to my senses, and am securely back on track. I have been a comfortable 119 lbs since August 12.

I now see that the forums fulfill needs that many have, that are not really just about weight.

I allowed my annoyance at one person here to surface, as his posts from the beginning were peppered with criticisms of Dr. Roberts, while he continued to advise others despite his own lack of success.  Dr. Roberts, I want to apologize to you for this.  I believe your generosity and kindness evoked this emotion in me. 

I wish everyone here success in finding what they truly need.

Thank you and goodbye.

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: Thank you
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

So glad of your success.
Please keep us updated.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:54:53 AM »

From January 13 2008 to June 29 I very gradually went from 139 lbs to 121 lbs lbs., and finally sorted out my relationship with food by following the book and reading other articles by Dr. Roberts.  My two sisters have had, and continue to have, astounding success with SLD.  I had been cautioned that the forums would  stall my progress by sending me off on meaningless tangents in the name of “experimenting”.

Intending to join the forums just to thank Dr. Roberts, I read some posts and found myself tempted to “tweak” by nose-clipping more than my normal 300-400 calories daily, thinking I would accelerate my loss.  Cravings returned, I gained 4 lbs in about 11 days, and generally felt terrible.  I returned to my senses, and am securely back on track. I have been a comfortable 119 lbs since August 12.

I have to admit, I keep giving people the advice of not breaking things that are working and making changes slowly (e.g. when they decide to change oils).

Glad it worked for you and that you made the transition from figuring it out to a boring part of normal life.

xtine

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »

Congratulations on your success, Stillwater.  Wonderful to hear and I wish you the very best.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »

Glad it worked for you and that you made the transition from figuring it out to a boring part of normal life.

My routine is about as boring as daily bathing or tooth brushing, and just as natural.  I knew it had to be one that I could continue happily forever.  I still see the need to vary the routine periodically, but never to extremes again, and always with the fundamental  principle of SLD at the core.  One thing that is anything but boring is looking in the mirror every day--something that used to depress me but now excites me.

Now 53.9 kg. (118.5 lbs.).

That is neat, and exactly as it should be.  It is also why so many people find success and then disappear.  There isn't much else to say.  It works, it is neat, but stick with the core principles and there isn't much drama.

As far as I can tell, it works like clockwork for about 50% of the people or more.  Another large group makes it with some fine tuning (e.g. figuring out that they have so much cigarette smoke in their environment that everything tastes of it, using enough SLD calories, getting enough sleep, protein and calcium in the diet, that sort of thing).

A few more just need to be patient, through long dieting and willpower their set points are below their weight and it takes a while for everything to catch up.

The rest, I'm puzzled.

But I'm glad it worked for you.  Fare well.

xtine

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »

Stephen I do think a significant subset of those who have to work pretty hard at the fine tuning are women of a certain age! 
Might just be my own myopia but women without a lot to lose in their 40s and 50s seem to struggle with the hormonal issues that affect appetite and water retention and these are a countervailing force at times-- not that SLD doesn't work for us, just that other things are pushing in other directions too. I would really love it if Seth or someone put some research time into this, because we are a big subset of those trying to lose weight---women whose weight has been (some variant of) normal til now and then it all starts to go pear-shaped. . .

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:13 PM »

Stephen I do think a significant subset of those who have to work pretty hard at the fine tuning are women of a certain age! 
Might just be my own myopia but women without a lot to lose in their 40s and 50s seem to struggle with the hormonal issues that affect appetite and water retention and these are a countervailing force at times-- not that SLD doesn't work for us, just that other things are pushing in other directions too. I would really love it if Seth or someone put some research time into this, because we are a big subset of those trying to lose weight---women whose weight has been (some variant of) normal til now and then it all starts to go pear-shaped. . .

Ahh, if only Seth had time and funding ....

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »

Ahh, if only Seth had time and funding ....

The best person to study women without a lot to lose in their 40s and 50s would be someone in that category. One big reason I made progress on weight control is that I could study myself.

Oslo

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 06:26:31 AM »

"I had been cautioned that the forums would  stall my progress by sending me off on meaningless tangents in the name of “experimenting”.

this doesn't come up very often - but it has often crossed my mind - --      *
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18