Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
breastfeeding?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: breastfeeding?  (Read 6892 times)

K1m

breastfeeding?
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:43:38 AM »

Hi, I started this diet a few days ago. I soon noticed that I had less milk. So I now know I have to take it easy on the oil and don't loose too much weight too soon. But now I'm wondering if it's safe to be on this diet while breastfeeding. I can't think of any side effects, but I want to know for sure. My son is two months old.
Thanks!
Kim

shovelqueen

Re: breastfeeding?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:06:23 AM »

I hate to say it, but you shouldn't be worrying too much about weight loss while feeding a baby so young.  Once he is onto some other solids, in a couple of months, you can think about restricting your intake, but right now, you are it for his nourishment and shouldn't jepardize that in any way. 

That being said, you can still help yourself to lose a bit of weight by avoiding all junk calories (cookies, chips, candy, deep-fried fast foods, etc) and eat only the best, most nourishing foods when you do eat.  And drink tons - that's one of the main factors in making enough milk.  Other than milk, if you choose calorie free drinks for most of your beverages (avoid sodas and real or fake juices), you will reduce your calories that way, too.  Also, getting some gentle exercise, like taking him for long walks, will help with getting the muscles working and burning long, slow aerobic-type calories. 

Congrats on your new son!  I have 2 boys, now teens, but I remember the joys of the baby stage. :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

K1m

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:02:26 AM »

Hi!
You are so right! Thank you for making me see how stupid I am. For some reason I feel I HAVE to loose weight because I'm breastfeeding. Everyone expects you to loose the weight because of the breastfeeding. But I'm not loosing any weight at all. I'm hungy all day. But for a good reason.
I do find it very hard to eat the right things. But I'm going to try harder, for my son.
Thank you so much!
I'll start over when he's six months old.

shovelqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »

K1m, when I was pregnant, I gained ~40 lbs each time.  The first 25 or so would just fall off in the 3 weeks after I got home, but the last 15 or so would stick around for months, through the whole breastfeeding period.  I remember the feeling, once I weaned my last son off the breast, that my body was my own again, and I could now have control over it again.  Until then, it had felt like I was operating on someone else's agenda. 

Enjoy the freedom to eat whatever you want without guilt.  It's one of the only times in our lives as women that we get that freedom.  It doesn't mean to abuse your body, but you are mentally at a different place and it's OK. :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

terio

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »

And remember you need lots of fluids - plain water works with no calories - to produce milk.

K1m

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »

Thanks to all of you. I do drink enough. And I only drink tea and water and every now and then some juice. I'm going to enjoy this period without worrying about my weight. I can hardly wait to start on the oil again in a few months, but I'll do the right thing.

multitasker

• Pharmacy Pacific
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »

Food control or dietary program is not healthy for a mother who gives breastfeed to their child. It might affect your little one as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18