Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
rs-px continues the struggle :)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: rs-px continues the struggle :)  (Read 17560 times)

rs-px

rs-px continues the struggle :)
« on: July 24, 2008, 01:15:19 AM »

It's actually been well over four weeks since I started SLD, and I'm late in moving over to the four-week board.

Here's a summary of my SLD adventures so far:

1. Oil did not work for me, as I spent a few weeks finding out
2. I found that drinking cans of full-sugar Coke did (while wearing swimming nose-clips), and had superb AS
3. Over the space of about a month I lost about 12lb; I ate nothing in the day until an evening meal after 5pm. It was a little like fasting and I had fantastic focus on my work.
4. It stopped working, although in hindsight this might be simply the reduction of the AS that's common after a month or so -- as many have said, "the AS becomes more subtle as time goes on"
5. I now eat three meals a day, along with two doses of either sugar water or nose-clipped full-sugar soft drinks, and it's working fine. I feel great, and it isn't difficult at all.

A typical day's food intake is as follows:

Breakfast:
40g of All Bran plus soya milk

Mid-morning (1 hour flavor-free either side):
140 calories of sugar water (nose-clipped, even if it's just sugar + water)

Lunch:
Scrambled eggs (2 eggs and 50g of half-fat cheese)

Mid-afternoon (1 hour flavor-free either side):
140 calories of sugar water (nose-clipped)

Dinner:
Anything so long as it comes in about 500 calories (usually some high-protein vegetarian stuff like Quorn or tofu with veg or salad); sometimes I eat this meal nose-clipped. This has additional benefits beyond AS -- it reduces the need to add-in high-calorie flavorings to make things taste good... :)

Evening snack (if desired):
28g of roasted almonds

Drinks:
Decaff coffee with semi-skimmed milk
Water

Dietary supplements:
Vitamin and mineral tablet; St John's Wort; calcium tablets; cod-liver oil

The total calorie count for the day comes in at under 1,500. I'm a 5ft 11in male, so this is on the low side of a total calorie count, but I work at a desk all day.

My earlier problem when not eating all day was a radical slowing down of my metabolism. This showed in feeling cold immediately after taking the sugar water and a reduced heart rate. It made it very hard to lose weight. I've learned that you have to eat to lose weight.

I started this diet thinking that SLD is easy, and it can be, but to get the most of it for the long term you have to work with it, and consciously think about how it can help you lose weight. I'd still recommend SLD to my friends and family, but it will have to have that caveat that -- compared to other diets -- it requires a lot of input from the dieter.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: rs-px continues the struggle :)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »

I'd still recommend SLD to my friends and family, but it will have to have that caveat that -- compared to other diets -- it requires a lot of input from the dieter.

So true! I mean, for most of us - there are still a handful Lucky Ones that get it working wonderfully from the get go and never have to tweak.

What makes the difference ? - I don't know - I wish I would - I wish some studies were made... :?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

rs-px

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »

I'd still recommend SLD to my friends and family, but it will have to have that caveat that -- compared to other diets -- it requires a lot of input from the dieter.

So true! I mean, for most of us - there are still a handful Lucky Ones that get it working wonderfully from the get go and never have to tweak.

What makes the difference ? - I don't know - I wish I would - I wish some studies were made... :?

I'm actually glad that there's some work involved because, strange as it sounds, this makes it easier to sell to other people who might want to try it. They'll have to work. This makes it more appealing that saying it's a "miracle cure", which makes it sound like a fad diet. Few fad diets are supposed to involve any kind of hard work.

My adventures are continuing. I've had to drop the St John's Wort tablets after getting rashes on my hands. Apparently this is caused by skin photosensitivity due to the ingredients in SJW. A web page I read said that such a reaction is "very rare". That's me. Rare!

Other than that it's going really well and I'm feeling pretty good. I kinda wish that I'd figured out to do the diet this way a few weeks ago.

rs-px

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »

SLD constantly surprises me. Not by doing anything spectacular, but just by working.

I'm definitely into the more "subtle" stage now, where two amounts of sugar water a day give me overall AS that makes sticking to 1,500 calories a day is effortless. But I don't see any immediate effects after the dose. As such, it's more like medication than it ever has been --- if I take my daily dose, I won't "suffer from hunger" (just like if I take my antihistamine tablets I don't suffer from hay fever, but the tablets don't give me any immediate benefits).

My tip for today is about hunger. Hunger is a tiger. Don't get close to it. Feed it before it starts to growl and bite.

My experience is that, if you let hunger get a grip, it will multiply rapidly, and then even SLD might not be able to contain it. You really need to eat, and take your SLD doses, even if you're not hungry, or don't feel the need. Tangle with hunger and it's likely you'll come out of it worst off.

What does this mean in day-to-day life? It means you have to take your SLD dose of sugar or oil on a regular basis---by the clock. Don't wait until you get hungry, in an attempt to use it as a food replacement (would you use your allergy tablets or heart medicine as a food replacement?).

It means you have to eat breakfast, even if you wake up feeling like you don't want it, as is nearly always the case with me (sometimes I feel the same about lunch too).

If you wait until hunger taps you on the shoulder, it's too late --- the tiger has been let lose, and you might have a lot of trouble getting him back in the cage again. It might take more than your usual amount of food to satisfy your hunger, if your hunger can be satisfied --- sometimes I get the impression that no matter how much I eat, it will never be enough. But SLD stops me getting to that situation in the first place.

And that is why SLD constantly surprises me :)

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »

Well written and well said!  And I concur, from my own experience.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

rs-px

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »

Well written and well said!  And I concur, from my own experience.

It's always nice to have people agree with me :)

One other thing I'd add is that you should avoid tantalizing your hunger. I tried chewing sugar-free gum, inspired by Seth's comments in the book. Big mistake. This is like dangling a steak in front of the tiger's cage --- don't be surprised if the tiger gets a bit annoyed, breaks out, and mauls you to death.

The flavor (calorie-free?) just make me hungry.

Yet I'm fine with things like coffee.

The other danger about playing around with hunger is that it distorts our perceptions. One of the worst things you can do while hungry is go food shopping. You'll end up with all the wrong types of food, and will probably end-up buying something to eat in the car on the way home.

This is another reason to love SLD. It stops hunger becoming distorted in this way. I still get hungry, of course, but I'm in control of that hunger, and not the other way around. When I make my evening meal, I'm not driven to make a quick-fix meal that's unhealthy. Despite being hungry, SLD gives me the luxury to take my time --- preparing vegetables, for example.

xtine

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

This makes so much sense to me.  Today I have good AS which means I didn't really feel like eating at all but I still had a light breakfast and a lunch with lots of vegies and chickpeas (also trying to unglue the bowels which have NOT taken well to SLD---I'm going for bulk and fiber now!).   It's getting very hard to eat breakfast though, so I think I might just have grapefruit and tea for breakfast and then a real lunch.  That way  I don't go ages without food but also don't have the unpleasant "stuffed" feeling that eating when not hungry gives.

However I've had days where I really didn't feel like lunch, so skipped it then at 3.30 or 4 pm (my worst time of day) got hungry and just ate whatever was to hand.   That did not go well and I ended up making poor food choices and having too many calories, not to mention feeling tired/ hungry/ then stuffed (nasty combination!).

I think it's a lot like riding a bike or walking a tightrope-- when you're in balance, it's easy; when you slip you realize that there's a fairly narrow band you need to stay inside of.

Tomcat1765

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »

What I love so much about this is that I haven't needed to make big changes to the foods I normally like to eat.

I love my breakfasts and so I have decided that I will definitely continue to eat a good breakfast to start the day but now I am able to get through the morning and early afternoon with just 2 tablespoons of ELOO.  Before SLD, I would go back up to the kitchen multiple times during the morning hours for another PopTart, another bowl of cereal or some other food to get me through until lunch....but no more!!

My lunches have been much smaller recently and I have noted that a lot of processed (junk) foods don't have the same allure for me.  IF I do partake in some chips, I have noted that I will put a small portion on the plate instead of taking the whole bag back to my desk with me.  Evening meals are sporadic and have definitely been much smaller.  I will probably need to add some oil in the evening just to make sure that the munchies don't try to sneak up on me!!

I like the fact that chips, pretzels, and other junk foods are slowly fading from my interest.  Now, cherries, oranges, and other fruits and veggies are figuring more prominently.

I really can't believe how well this is going!   I actually WANTED to get up and do some aerobic exercise today!

Tomcat   8)

rs-px

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

I really can't believe how well this is going!   I actually WANTED to get up and do some aerobic exercise today!

Tomcat   8)

For me, that's the biggest thing Seth doesn't mention in the book -- the overall better mental attitude. Actually he does hint at it, pointing out that you'll feel like eating healthier food, but he doesn't go into why. I've said it before but SLD moves food to maybe the 2nd or 3rd on the list of my priorities, rather than being first. This has made a big difference in my life. That's the definition of a fat person -- not being overweight, but the fact that food it so damn important to them. If anything, how SLD works is not through AS, but in simply making food less important. Food is important to a chef, or to skinny people who love food, but it isn't as damned important as it is to a fat person. 

OK, today I bought some trousers. Size 38in waist. This time last year I would have been looking at a size 40-42. And they're a nice, comfortable snug fit. In the coming months I might have to start wearing a belt.

Once I get down a size 36 waist, I've already got some trousers ready and waiting from last time I was at that weight :)

I'm losing weight less quickly now. It's about a pound a week, by the looks of things. But this is good enough. In about 10lb I'll be able to start going running on a daily basis and that will help speed things up a little.

rs-px

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:32:32 AM »

Although it might be a fluke, the scales today read that I'm at 205lb. That's 14st 9lb in UK money.

I've got a feeling the scales are lying (maybe a combination of it being a hot day, and the fact I'm feeling a under the weather), but I'm happy to accept it :) Ticker updated accordingly, and I've celebrated by giving myself a new ticker design.

Oslo

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:00:33 AM »

Great on 205!  I know that scale-is-lying feeling -

Have you read things about running 20' with intervals, 3x a week, instead of daily, longer, slower?  Pretty persuasive I think.    And you could start sooner if you wanted - with the intervals being walking-faster walking or walk/jog - --
http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
I also think it's great for mood - and also speaking of mood - it's another reason to eat often/ not wait until monster hungry, if your brain is at all affected by blood sugar fluctuations, as many are.  : ) 

Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

rs-px

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:00:01 AM »

Great on 205!  I know that scale-is-lying feeling -

Have you read things about running 20' with intervals, 3x a week, instead of daily, longer, slower?  Pretty persuasive I think.    And you could start sooner if you wanted - with the intervals being walking-faster walking or walk/jog - --
http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html
I also think it's great for mood - and also speaking of mood - it's another reason to eat often/ not wait until monster hungry, if your brain is at all affected by blood sugar fluctuations, as many are.  : ) 

Well, the scales WERE lying, and I'm back up a few pounds today. But I'm keeping the ticker as it is :)

But, seriously, as mentioned, I've got a nice 1-2lb per week weight loss going. The strange thing is that I'm so confident about losing weight now using SLD and a 1,500 calorie diet that I don't even have to weigh myself. I just do that for kicks.

Thanks for the info about HIIT. I read a lot about it here, and elsewhere. The actual plan I used last time, before jarring my knee, was the "Couch potato" plan. This is where you run 60 seconds, and then walk 90 seconds, for about half an hour. Then the next week you reduce the walk break to 60 seconds. The week after you increase the run period to 90 seconds, and so on. Basically, within a few months, somebody like me -- who isn't a natural athlete -- will be running 20 minutes each day. Here's the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'm very interested in running for the contemplative benefits it offers -- almost like meditation.

shovelqueen

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:31:46 AM »

I'm very interested in running for the contemplative benefits it offers -- almost like meditation.

I agree wholheartedly.  I talk to myself when I run, I pray, I plan.  I've written whole sermons in my head (or been gifted with them, perhaps), I've planned life, I once spent a Thanksgiving morning run giving thanks the whole way - listing all the things I was so thankful for.  It was an experience that I remember to this day.

It's one of the reasons that the interval training has never appealed to me much, and the long slow running is so fulfilling for me. It's as much mental as it is physical. 

rs-px

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:31:40 AM »

I agree wholheartedly.  I talk to myself when I run, I pray, I plan.  I've written whole sermons in my head (or been gifted with them, perhaps), I've planned life, I once spent a Thanksgiving morning run giving thanks the whole way - listing all the things I was so thankful for.  It was an experience that I remember to this day.

It's one of the reasons that the interval training has never appealed to me much, and the long slow running is so fulfilling for me. It's as much mental as it is physical. 

Hi SQ -- that's what I'm looking for. I think the unique thing about running is that it keeps your mind busy, in a way, and that somehow leaves it free to think in other ways. I don't get quite the same thing when walking.

Love your comments about writing sermons :) Are you a lay-preacher? I come from a Church-going background and while I can't say I'm religious any longer, I know the value of giving thanks.

shovelqueen

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:38:08 AM »

Love your comments about writing sermons :) Are you a lay-preacher? I come from a Church-going background and while I can't say I'm religious any longer, I know the value of giving thanks.

Yes, I'm a Registered Dietitian by day, but I hold a priesthood office in my church (Community of Christ).  It would be what is considered lay ministry, except that in my church, it's pretty much all lay ministry.  Very few paid local ministers, most churches have a pastor (lay), and a group of ordained priesthood who together look after the church.  So I give sermons every couple of months.  But as an adult educator, I don't find that too hard. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18