Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?  (Read 29142 times)

Rachel

BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?
« on: May 30, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »

Hello!

I am of a healthy weight, 127 at 5'3".  I'm looking to lose 10-15 pounds (what I weighed in college).  I already eat very healthy food (I am a strict vegetarian), but I have a lot of trouble with portion sides (like I'll eat a mountain of brown rice and veggies, or natural organic foods, but way too many servings), so I'm hoping this diet will help curb my appetite since that is my weakness.  My question is does this method seem to work for people that are already at a very healthy weight still looking to lose?   Would I want to take the lower limit on oil for the day, like 200 calories?  What would happen if I took closer to 400 calories a day?

Thanks so much!

Denise

Re: BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:24:15 PM »

I'd have to say no, I don't see it working for thin people so far, but you can guinea pig it.  Don't take too many % of your daily calories, stick closer to 1-2T and no more, otherwise if you don't see appetite suppression you're just adding tons of calories, and see how it goes but stick with it for 7 weeks at least.  If you want to. :)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:19:36 AM »

Hello Rachel, we are in a similar situation, I'm 5'5 and 137.5 lbs and looking to lose 10-15 lbs like yourself.
Most of my unwanted lbs are around my waist, which I think is related to my age - getting near menopause, the body "senses" less estrogen being produces so it sticks to belly fat, which has estrogenic activity, or mimics estrogen.
Apart from age, we're in the same boat. You didn't mention if you have tried anything already, just that you have a good appetite, and you're a vegan. I'm an ovo-lacto-vegetarian but occasionally indulge in fish ( I love fish and seafood) but only very occasionally.

Have you upped your activity with some sort of exercise? (just walking 30 min a day is helpful).
Have you gone for lower calorie foods? That way you could maintain your portion sizes, which seems to be your big issue (mine too).

Anyway. Been there done that to no avail (just helped to not gain too much. My overweight was gained over the last 5 years).
Now to the SLD. I'm on my 3rd week amd only lost 2.2 lbs. I started out with the sugar water (2 T 3 x day, nearly 200 cal)
So to try to speed things up I switched to oil but it's only my 6th day on oil (3 T a day plus sugar chaser = some 460 cal = too much! But last evening I managed to have the oil without the sugar water chaser, so it's 360 cal from now).

As Denise said, it's harder for not-too-overweight people to lose. But it was hard for me anyway I tried. So, I'm keeping on this for at least 2 more weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

PS: I did feel an appetite reduction from day 1! I stopped nibbling and snacking all day long!!

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

rachel

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »

Hi!

I am lucky to have a slim mid section/waist and am looking to lose from my hips and thighs and arms mostly.  They have gotten much larger over the years and none of my jeans fit!

I walk about an hour 5 days a week and am very active on the weekends as well...  I FELL like I'm in good shape and never get out of breath or anything.

It's hard for me to eat low calorie foods.... I am so in love with high calorie but super healthy things like brown rice, veggies sauteed in olive oil, whole wheat noodles, avocados, brown rice syrup, etc.  Low calorie foods leave me really unsatisfied and I'd much rather eat a bowl of calorically-dense health food than a mountain of salad stuff.  I'm really hoping Shangri-La will help me be able tonctinue to eat the healthy foods I choose, but be satisfied with a lower quantity.

I am going to start off with 2 tablespoons of oil a day and one tablespoon of sugar water (285 calories a day).  I'll report back and we'll see what happens!

Emma

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:32:33 AM »

Hello!

I am of a healthy weight, 127 at 5'3".  I'm looking to lose 10-15 pounds (what I weighed in college).  I already eat very healthy food (I am a strict vegetarian), but I have a lot of trouble with portion sides (like I'll eat a mountain of brown rice and veggies, or natural organic foods, but way too many servings), so I'm hoping this diet will help curb my appetite since that is my weakness.  My question is does this method seem to work for people that are already at a very healthy weight still looking to lose?   Would I want to take the lower limit on oil for the day, like 200 calories?  What would happen if I took closer to 400 calories a day?

Thanks so much!

Hi Rachel, I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm 5'4", started Shangri La at 130lbs, just trying to lose extra 10-15 lbs put on since meeting restaurant loving boyfriend several years ago and eating more than I normally would eat by myself. :) 

I would say it's DEFINITELY worth a shot...I've been on SL for 2.5 weeks, and have lost about 6 lbs so far. I have been doing 1T sugar water or oil at the office, about an hour before lunch, then 1T of canola or extra light olive oil before bed time. That's it. Some days I try to take oil into work because I still have trouble wrapping my head out of drinking sugar water but the quantity of 2 tablespoons per day total seems to work fine for me. :)

I notice that I am definitely eating less. Like yourself, I could probably eat more than I really need of side dishes like rice or bread. I find I'm just not interested in more than a few bites of any dish now. If I eat more than I should, I can feel it and am physically uncomfortable. So I would say yes, there is a possibility that it can help some people with portion control/overeating. I'm just not interested in eating more. The food I do eat still tastes good and I savor it, but I'm done a lot sooner. 

Anyway, no harm in trying. Good luck!

Emma

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:51:14 AM »

Whoops, that was supposed to be "wrapping my head around drinking sugar water"...   :D

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »

My situation is completely unlike y'alls, but my understanding of Seth's theory might help you.

All of you are have very strong appetites despite being fairly low weight.  Your very strong appetites suggest that your body's setpoint is significantly higher than your present weight.  Taking in flavorless calories (sugar water, oil) should help eventually to lower your setpoint so that your appetite is reduced, but remember you are already significantly below your initial setpoint so reducing it to equilibrium and eventually lower, suppressing your appetite,  may take a long time.  One person mentioned in the book took 7 weeks, almost two months!.  *

Most of us have regular appetites in rough equilibrium with a set point that is already very high.  When we take in flavorless calories our setpoint drops significantly and our appetite is quickly reduced to a lower level associated with the new set point.    Your setpoint is probably not in equilibrium so you have a very strong appetite associated with being below your set point.   Your appetite will stay very strong until the flavorless calories (and any other diet changes) bring your set point to equilibrium or lower. 

I highly recommend implementing all of the Extra Credit stuff that Seth mentions to help your body along the path.  Lower Glycemic index foods, crazy spicing, trying new/random foods, etc..  Those in combination with a moderate amount of flavorless calories might help you achieve equilibrium faster.

* NOTE:  If my analysis is correct Shangri-La will actually be counter productive if you are not watching your calories.  Your appetite suggests your body wants to gain weight.  When you take in the flavorless calories your body will lower the set point, but until you reach equilibrium your appetite will not be reduced.  You will want to eat the same number of calories as before so the flavorless calories (although setpoint reducing) will be additional calories in your diet.  Unless you reduce your calories from other sources (or increase your exercise) this will cause you to gain weight until your body reaches equilibrium. 

Any questions?
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 01:30:42 PM »

My situation is completely unlike y'alls, but my understanding of Seth's theory might help you.

All of you are have very strong appetites despite being fairly low weight.  Your very strong appetites suggest that your body's setpoint is significantly higher than your present weight.  Taking in flavorless calories (sugar water, oil) should help eventually to lower your setpoint so that your appetite is reduced, but remember you are already significantly below your initial setpoint so reducing it to equilibrium and eventually lower, suppressing your appetite,  may take a long time.  One person mentioned in the book took 7 weeks, almost two months!.  *

Most of us have regular appetites in rough equilibrium with a set point that is already very high.  When we take in flavorless calories our setpoint drops significantly and our appetite is quickly reduced to a lower level associated with the new set point.    Your setpoint is probably not in equilibrium so you have a very strong appetite associated with being below your set point.   Your appetite will stay very strong until the flavorless calories (and any other diet changes) bring your set point to equilibrium or lower. 

I highly recommend implementing all of the Extra Credit stuff that Seth mentions to help your body along the path.  Lower Glycemic index foods, crazy spicing, trying new/random foods, etc..  Those in combination with a moderate amount of flavorless calories might help you achieve equilibrium faster.

* NOTE:  If my analysis is correct Shangri-La will actually be counter productive if you are not watching your calories.  Your appetite suggests your body wants to gain weight.  When you take in the flavorless calories your body will lower the set point, but until you reach equilibrium your appetite will not be reduced.  You will want to eat the same number of calories as before so the flavorless calories (although setpoint reducing) will be additional calories in your diet.  Unless you reduce your calories from other sources (or increase your exercise) this will cause you to gain weight until your body reaches equilibrium. 

Any questions?

This makes sense to me, pretty much matches the conclusion I've been coming to.

srlygrl

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »

I can attest to the fact that this works even at a very low weight. I have been battling an eating disorder for quite some time, and was stuck in a starvation/binge/exercise cycle that I just couldn't get out of. Seth's theory really rang true with me, because I always felt as though I had a set point that was well above my body weight, and that my body was always trying to add another 5-7 pounds (or even more). I was constantly thinking about food, and even though I have pretty great willpower, the food thoughts always won out in the end to some degree. I'm 5'1" and 100 pounds, which is a normal BMI and where I'd like to stay, but I really did have to starve to keep myself there. I didn't start SL to lose weight, rather to see if I could maintain my weight while eating like a "normal" person, and it has worked beautifully for me. While I do still think about food (that's par for the course when you've got an ED), I get ridiculously full so quickly that it's difficult to take in more than a normal portion size at any given sitting (no more bingeing!). I've also become more rigorous about eating non-processed, whole, low-glycemic foods, and the combination of those changes and the oil has been very powerful. The upshot is, I'm eating the healthiest diet in the world, and not gaining weight. It's truly amazing: this has achieved in a few weeks what years of shrinks and medication could not--go figure!  :D

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 04:29:42 PM »

Congratulations srlygrl!  I hope you keep us updated as to how things are working out for you.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Juno

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:59 PM »

I am new here and read this topic with interest.  I am 5' 6" and range between 132 and 140 lbs.  My BMI is normal.  A few times in my life I have been able to go down to 128 lbs and when I am that weight I have what I consider optimal appearance.  (I don't think my appearance improves if I get any thinner than that.)  I eat healthy foods, with the occasional treat, and I exercise regularly. 

128 is definitely below my "set point"  - I have to run daily (hard on my busy schedule) and I have also achieved 128 in the distant past using ma huang products which I TOTALLY do not recommend (and it has been proven to be unsafe) and plus as soon as I did not take the supplements I was ravenous up to at least 132 lbs if not more. 

I don't think 128 is an unrealistic or unhealthy (as in too skinny) weight for a 5' 6" person.  My personal body just doesn't want to go down quite that far on its own. 

If you see me at 135 you would say she looks healthy, boy she would really look good if she lost 5-10 lbs.  If you see me at 132 you would think I look healthy and strong.  If you see me at 128 you would say I look nice in my clothes and am slim and attractive.  I would like to be 128 and be able to eat at that level, healthy foods plus exercise, the occasional treat, without feeling like I need to eat my own arm, and without feeling tempted by snack foods (which becomes more acute when my weight is lower.) 

When they says the "last 5 lbs is the hardest" it is no joke! 

The times in my life I have gained any weight above 140, I can get down to business and lose back down pretty readily. 

I just learned about the SLD and tried oil, 3 days, and I totally feel the difference.  I have not tried sugar water, and that seems very counterintuitive to me, but I may expiriment with it.  I looked at this thread yesterday and saw the first replay saying that this probably would not work for people already "thin" or with normal BMI. 

Anyway, there were more encouraging posts and a nice discussion going on this when I checked back today.  I'm interested in more of what works and what does not, people's stories who are losing smaller amounts of weight. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I will be ordering the book and am very interested in whether the author has addressed those of us who want to reach the finish line on optimal weight, so to speak.  I am at the 132 (lower end of my range) right now, am happy about it, and would love to be 128 and just stay there. 

Juno

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 03:07:02 AM »

All of you are have very strong appetites despite being fairly low weight. Your very strong appetites suggest that your body's setpoint is significantly higher than your present weight. Taking in flavorless calories (sugar water, oil) should help eventually to lower your setpoint so that your appetite is reduced, but remember you are already significantly below your initial setpoint so reducing it to equilibrium and eventually lower, suppressing your appetite, may take a long time. One person mentioned in the book took 7 weeks, almost two months!. *

Most of us have regular appetites in rough equilibrium with a set point that is already very high. When we take in flavorless calories our setpoint drops significantly and our appetite is quickly reduced to a lower level associated with the new set point. Your setpoint is probably not in equilibrium so you have a very strong appetite associated with being below your set point. Your appetite will stay very strong until the flavorless calories (and any other diet changes) bring your set point to equilibrium or lower.

I highly recommend implementing all of the Extra Credit stuff that Seth mentions to help your body along the path. Lower Glycemic index foods, crazy spicing, trying new/random foods, etc.. Those in combination with a moderate amount of flavorless calories might help you achieve equilibrium faster.

* NOTE: If my analysis is correct Shangri-La will actually be counter productive if you are not watching your calories. Your appetite suggests your body wants to gain weight. When you take in the flavorless calories your body will lower the set point, but until you reach equilibrium your appetite will not be reduced. You will want to eat the same number of calories as before so the flavorless calories (although setpoint reducing) will be additional calories in your diet. Unless you reduce your calories from other sources (or increase your exercise) this will cause you to gain weight until your body reaches equilibrium.

Any questions?

Yes, some comments here!
Sorry to say your explanation doesn't help me much. My appetite may be strong, but much weaker since I started SLD om May 9th.
I've been eating much less food,so it should show by now right? More than the 2.2 lbs lost.
Also I'm not fairly low weight, my BMI is almost 24.
My intake is never higher than 1500 cal. So if I take 300 from oil, I need only 1200 from food.
But that's what I've been doing since I started. Shouldn't it show more already?
Crazy spicing and new foods - that's a hard to swallow concept (pun intended) The moment you have them, they're not new any more!
I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm not very optimistic either :(
Thanks anyway!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Ann H

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »

I think this is fascinating, too, even though I'm on a totally different orbit than y'all, as I'm currently one of the shrinking fatties. Please do keep posting!

And srlygrl, your post is so inspiring! I know SO MANY folks who've struggled with EDs, including dearly loved ones. Please do post more and let us know how it continues! Do you have your own thread yet?

Ann H

rachel

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 05:26:58 AM »

Well, one and a half days in.  I am taking two tablespoos of canola oil a day (although the first night I also tried the sugar water, but I don't like drinking things so slowly!  I wanted to gulp it!).  So far no appetite suppression, at least when it mattered, but that could be cuz I accidentally skipped breakfast yesterday and had a small lunch.  That's a bad trend for me:  eating very little throughout the day and then having a huge meal (last night I had a perfectly healthy quinoa salad with tons of fresh organic  vegetables (corn, yellow pepper, peas, scallion, red onion, with adzuki beans, and about half a BIG bag of organic popcorn.  But the qunioa salad was HUGE and I kept going back for more.. I ate at least 4 normal-sized servings). 

It's going to be tough for me to find "strange" new foods to try.  I already eat SO many "odd" types, like I buy most of my food at asian or other "ethnic" markets (japanese, thai, indian, indoensian, vietnamese... lots of miso, exotic veggies, etc).  I guess maybe I could eat some "normal" food like spaghetti with soy meatballs, something I haven't had in YEARS!

I'll keep updating.  I can't wait for appetite suppression to kick in!

Do you guys think 2 tablespoons of canola oil a day is a good amount for me?  (I am still BMI 22).  Should I add more?  Or take less?

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 08:36:05 AM »

I think this is fascinating, too, even though I'm on a totally different orbit than y'all, as I'm currently one of the shrinking fatties. Please do keep posting!

One of the shrinking fatties! I want the t-shirt!

It does seem those of you striving to lose a few are losing at a slower rate, but isn't that typical of all diets? Don't people who have lost gigantic amounts of weight say that the last twenty or ten or five were the hardest?

I wonder if it's because biology wants us to be heavier than fashion does.
Running weight tally:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18