Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?  (Read 29143 times)

Ronnie

Re: BMI 22, want to achieve around BMI 20?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »

I'm also just loving the idea of being one of the 'shrinking fatties'  :D  That's too good.

Jane Ann

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »

I can attest to the fact that this works even at a very low weight. I have been battling an eating disorder for quite some time, and was stuck in a starvation/binge/exercise cycle that I just couldn't get out of. Seth's theory really rang true with me, because I always felt as though I had a set point that was well above my body weight, and that my body was always trying to add another 5-7 pounds (or even more). I was constantly thinking about food, and even though I have pretty great willpower, the food thoughts always won out in the end to some degree. I'm 5'1" and 100 pounds, which is a normal BMI and where I'd like to stay, but I really did have to starve to keep myself there. I didn't start SL to lose weight, rather to see if I could maintain my weight while eating like a "normal" person, and it has worked beautifully for me. While I do still think about food (that's par for the course when you've got an ED), I get ridiculously full so quickly that it's difficult to take in more than a normal portion size at any given sitting (no more bingeing!). I've also become more rigorous about eating non-processed, whole, low-glycemic foods, and the combination of those changes and the oil has been very powerful. The upshot is, I'm eating the healthiest diet in the world, and not gaining weight. It's truly amazing: this has achieved in a few weeks what years of shrinks and medication could not--go figure!  :D

Everything this poster says about the bingeing and constantly thinking about food has been true for me.  I'm female, age 50, started 3 1/2 wks ago w/ sld at 134 and weighed 128 this morning.  Plus I am astounded at how much this has helped with the **food obsession**.  Wow.

I also want to say the appetite suppression has really hit a new high the past 3 days, so that is 3 weeks in.  Hope this helps somebody.   :D

nessen_912

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 12:50:53 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the SLD not working for people who have less to lose...I just think it may take longer to come off, since there IS less to lose.

I'm 5'5", started out at 133, and I have lost almost two pounds in under two weeks.  By the 2nd day of oil intake I was not eating as much, so this has definitely suppressed my appetite.

It sounds like I am in similar situations with some of the other people who have posted here; I am not overweight but I am at my heaviest and chunky for my body.

Honestly, I feel great - I am eating more healthfully now because that's what I'm craving, and I don't have to eat very much to be satisfied.  Plus, I'm not getting super cravings as I did before - food doesn't rule my life anymore.  I've just noticed I have to be careful with too much caffeine or alcohol intake, but otherwise I am liking the SLD.

Nancy:-)

rachel

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 02:26:25 PM »

non-overweight peopole looking to lose, how much oil or sugar are you taking a day?  I have been taking 2 tablespoons of canola oil, one a few hours before lunch and one a few hours before dinner.   

nessen_912

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 03:20:20 PM »

I started out with 1 T of oil twice a day, but I wondered if this was too much, since in the book Seth recommends around 165 calories for someone who has less than 20 pounds to lose.  The last few days I have been taking only 2/3 T twice a day (around 160 calories) and so far my appetite has not increased.

I was curious what others in a similar situation were doing.  Is 2T a day too much?  I guess experimentation is key to see what works and what doesn't.

Nancy :)

Jane Ann

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »

I started out with 1 T of oil twice a day, but I wondered if this was too much, since in the book Seth recommends around 165 calories for someone who has less than 20 pounds to lose.  The last few days I have been taking only 2/3 T twice a day (around 160 calories) and so far my appetite has not increased.

I was curious what others in a similar situation were doing.  Is 2T a day too much?  I guess experimentation is key to see what works and what doesn't.

Nancy :)

I am taking 2 tbsp of oil once a day (mid morning) canola oil.  Seems to work much better than eloo for me.  I have lost 6 lbs, want to lose 6-8 more.   :)

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »

I am very happy to hear that a number of posters seem to be in that "last few pounds" range and SLD is working for them.

One thing to remember you small people (if you weigh less than half of me you are small :) ).  When you weigh only 130 lbs your body needs less calories than if you weigh 160.

At 160 lbs you may have needed 200 more calories a day just to maintain your weight.  If you are eating a 130lb person diet at 160 lbs you will lose a pound every 17.5 days!  Once you get down to 130 your body would level off.  If you want to get to 125 you will have to eat less than you do at 130 (or exercise more).  In order to maintain that weight you will have to continue to eat less or exercise more the rest of your life.

Check out your Basal Metabolic rate:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=543.0
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Ann H

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »

Well, those of you who like the "shrinking fatties" idea, be sure to check out the thread "What are we doing?" in the "General" forum. Trying to get some good monikers.

I'm considering doing up the shrinking fatties into a .gif that could indeed be a t-shirt. Anyone else want to do that too? Welcome to... Just put anything you come up with in the "Entertainment" forum for all to download and print to laugh at, use as a screensaver, take to the t-shirt printer's, etc.

Cheers,
Ann H

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 04:16:20 AM »

I am very happy to hear that a number of posters seem to be in that "last few pounds" range and SLD is working for them.

One thing to remember you small people (if you weigh less than half of me you are small :) ).  When you weigh only 130 lbs your body needs less calories than if you weigh 160.

At 160 lbs you may have needed 200 more calories a day just to maintain your weight.  If you are eating a 130lb person diet at 160 lbs you will lose a pound every 17.5 days!  Once you get down to 130 your body would level off.  If you want to get to 125 you will have to eat less than you do at 130 (or exercise more).  In order to maintain that weight you will have to continue to eat less or exercise more the rest of your life.

Check out your Basal Metabolic rate:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=543.0

Will, I checked the calculators.
So my daily energetic needs are 1360.
Minus 240 from oil, it's 1120 from food.
To lose, I have to take in less than that.
So, I should aim for like 1000 cal/day from food.
That's not very encouraging...
My appetite supression isn't that high.

Pinkmug, day 24 on SLD, day 7 on just oil, only 2.2 lbs down.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

rachel

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 08:12:11 AM »

well yesterday I noticed an effect!  For breakfast I had some whole wheat bread and some organic flaxseed oatmeal.  Lunch rolled around, and usually I HAVE to eat between 12 and 1, but I ended up just eating some popcorn!  I got home after work and realized, for what is probably the first time in my life, I forgot to eat a fullzised lunch and didn't care!  For dinner I prepared some udon noodles in a shitakke/kombu broth with some adzuki beans (I told you I already eat weird foods!).  This is way less than I normally eat, and was satisfied!  I cooked my boyfriend a quinoa/onion/broccoli/corn salad, and ate only one spoonful cuz I just wasn't feeling it, even though usually I would at half of it!  WOW, right now it just feels like a strange concidence, but I am going to stick with it.  Down some weight this morning (to 126.5), but at this point I'm sure it's still just water weight. 

For breakfast today I had half an organic banana, 1/3 organic mango, half an organic kiwi, and some vanilla soy yogurt.  Oil in an hour!

I'll keep posting my progress and menus, if people are interested. 

Juno

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »

I'm thinking that in addition to needing to watch the calories more (and take in less of them) if you have less to lose you have to add to the time before and after the oil or SW, if you are one of the shrinking skinnies. 

Yesterday I had a banana for breakfast, later 1 T oil, later 1 T sugar in water.  It didn't really affect me much, in fact I was ravenous at lunch and ate more than I should have or wanted to. 

Today I had 1 T oil upon awakening, and now am sipping just 1 teaspoon of sugar in water, and I'm beyond satisfied.  I figure I'll have a great lunch and a small dinner and try to keep the calories low and ultra nutritious, and to have more intake-free time in my days and nights (which is against the current popular wisdome of eating every 3 hours for your metabolism.)

Juno

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:09 AM »

Pinkmug - I'm sorry I caused confusion. 

Your basal Metabolic Rate is what your body would use (roughly) even if you stayed in bed all day.  If you are active at all (and I know some of you out there are very active) it will be higher by your Active Metabolic Rate (AMR).  When you add your basal rate to your active rate you get your Daily Energy Requirement (BMR+AMR = DER). 

This calculator will help you to figure out what your total DER might be.   

http://www.preventdisease.com/healthtools/articles/bmr.html

Remember all of these calculations are generalized and won't be correct down to the calorie or anything.  Rather they give you a guide as to how you should look at your calorie intake and exercise.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 01:54:50 AM »

Hello Will

No you did not cause confusion! It was a mistake I made...
According to the calculators at the link you posted, preventdisease, my DER was 1360.

But, silly me. I just double checked and instead of entering "minutes" in the physical activity fields, I had entered  time in hours!
It does make a difference!!

Now it shows my DER at around 2320. That's a little better... though other calculators had given me a DER around 1800.
Good, as I'm not one to "forget" eating. I have a family, I cook from scratch (I have to sample everything I cook), all my social life revolves around tables covered with food.
Plus I enjoy eating. And drinking!
But, not all is bad. The kilo I lost in 4 weeks was lost without hunger!!

Thanks for your concern
Pinkmug day 27, 2.2 lbs down
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 02:17:23 AM »

I'm thinking that in addition to needing to watch the calories more (and take in less of them) if you have less to lose you have to add to the time before and after the oil or SW, if you are one of the shrinking skinnies. 

Yesterday I had a banana for breakfast, later 1 T oil, later 1 T sugar in water.  It didn't really affect me much, in fact I was ravenous at lunch and ate more than I should have or wanted to. 

Today I had 1 T oil upon awakening, and now am sipping just 1 teaspoon of sugar in water, and I'm beyond satisfied.  I figure I'll have a great lunch and a small dinner and try to keep the calories low and ultra nutritious, and to have more intake-free time in my days and nights (which is against the current popular wisdome of eating every 3 hours for your metabolism.)

Juno

Hello Juno

I agree with several points of your post.
I'm not a shrinking skinny, just a hopefully srinking tummy. (BMI 23.something)
Since the start, I always kept 2 hours before and 2 hours after the oil as taste-free time.
And popluar wisdom never helped me... eating every 3 hours only helped to increase my daily intake of foods.
Currently I'm feeling fine with breakfast, lunch, teatime snack and dinner (most times the teatime snack is enough, so I don't have dinner, as this snack is around 6.30/7 pm).

Good luck!  8)

SF

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 01:46:47 PM »

Hi Rachel,
I'm in almost EXACTLY the same boat as you.
I am 5'11" and last time I checked I weighed 159.6 lb.  This is about 15 lb over my ideal weight (where I feel the best and can fit in my clothes!).
Like you, I am a healthfood nut and I eat very healthy foods.  Unfortunately, like you, I eat huge quantities!!  I made a quinoa-black bean salad with lots of fresh veggies recently and I could have eaten the whole darn thing.  I just kept shovelling it in.  It's like I don't have an off switch.  Scary!  And this was happening to me every day.  I would make red lentil curry and eat half the pot and still feel like I could keep eating.  The only thing stopping me was the little voice in my head saying "you are disgusting for eating so much."
So even if it's healthy food, if you eat 4 - 6 servings, which is probably par for the course for me, it's a lot of calories.  And like you, I hate the thought of eating low calorie foods.  I eat so healthy, and deprive myself of cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. that when I make a luscious curry I want to just eat as much of it as I want!
Anywayz......
So here we both are.  I started on 2 T ELOO/day one week ago.  Immediately my appetite subsided and I found myself able to eat "normal" amounts and feel full.  Better yet I wasn't thinking about food all the time and obsessing about it.  ("What am I going to eat next?  When am I going to eat it?  How will I prepare it?  Where will I buy the ingredients?  How long will it take to make it?  How long will it take to eat it?  How will it taste?" etc. etc.  I have often thought I have a food obsession.)
Unfortunately, I also developed headaches while taking the oil.  (See my thread under the Progress/Updates topic.)  Several people including Dr. Roberts suggested I cut way back on my oil intake, to give my body time to adjust to eating straight oil.  I had to take two days off just to get the headaches to go away.  I haven't weighed myself but I will tomorrow morning, and I will cut back to 1 T a day and see if I still get headaches...if so I'll go to 1/2 T and so on until I find a level I can live with.
Anyway I just wanted to tell you my experience so far and say good luck and please do keep us updated.  It was great to read about someone having the exact same eating issues as me!!  I almost think there should be a thread just for us who want to lose less than 20 lbs!
Take care,
SF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18