Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sustainable

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sustainable  (Read 6740 times)

guitarchik

Sustainable
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »

Has anyone actually done the "diet", lost weight, but then stopped taking either the oil or sugar water doses and started controlling his or her own appetite without the help of the taste-less foods?

I'm just curious, because I don't know if I like the idea of ingesting oil and/or sugar water before a meal for the rest of my life. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Sustainable
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »

Not necessarily before a meal. Anytime at least an hour away from a meal. But yes, you have to continue doing something or you gain the weight back. You can continue to lower your set point using the general principles behind the diet -- see the book's Extra Credit chapter -- without drinking oil, however.

kindall

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:40:17 AM »

Y'know, I don't like the idea of having to do this for the rest of my life either. But I dislike the idea of being fat for the rest of my life even more. If I have to have some sugar water or oil once a day for the rest of my life, well, at least it's cheap.

Latoretta

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:43:15 AM »

Only if this Really works....so you stop doing it, then what ~ does the appetite that you were trying to suppress come back???  I agree with the first writer of this thread.

jzkc

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 08:16:05 AM »

If I understand right, the diet works by causing the body to lower its set point.  It achieves the weight associated with a lower set point by suppressing the appetite to take in fewer calories and burns the stored fat you already have.  I would say yes, you need to do something the rest of your life to induce the body to maintain its lower set point.  If you don't, the body will gradually and eventually raise its set point (and will achieve it by increasing hunger to take in more calories and storing fat) until we are, once again, overweight and obese like we were (or most of us anyway) before we started SLD.  I don't have any problem at all with ingesting a tablespoon a day of healthy oil the rest of my life when I consider the alternatives, especially the huge hereditary risk I have for Type II diabetes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:18:16 AM by jzkc »

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 05:11:36 PM »

I’ve thought about this, too, and here’s what I think will work for me. I eat a healthy Mediterranean diet, which on most days includes a salad with a vinaigrette dressing containing at least a tablespoon of olive oil. Instead of having the olive oil on the salad, I’ll have it separately and experiment with fat-free or low-cal dressings for the salad, thus keeping my total daily calories about the same. This will have the added benefit of keeping my salad from becoming a “ditto” food, since I can concoct a different dressing every day.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:26:34 PM »

Once I reach a happy weight, I can totally imagine myself waking up every morning, downing one tbs of olive oil for breakfast and putting off my coffee or tea for an hour after that. For the rest of my life.

Totally.
Running weight tally:

Jane Ann

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 06:17:33 PM »

If I have to take oil for the rest of my life, that's a heck of a lot better than possibly having to take a prescription drug because I develop one of the many health problems caused by being overweight.   :D

Ronnie

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »

I love the idea of having to take only one tablespoon a day.  And I have no problem with it whatsoever.  There are so many healthy oils out there.  Hopefully I'll be a fit and flexible old gal and when people ask me what my secret is I'll say "Shangri-La baby".

Denise

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 10:17:15 PM »

One HUGE thing to remember is that eating normally for me at least was only attainable by drinking the oil.  Oh, I have such good control now, but by the end of the second day with no oil it's a bit shaky and by the morning after that I do need it.  I really think one starts to think it's will power.  It's not.  It's such a feeling of control that you think you can be in control by sheer will, but in my experience that's not true.  If I take the oil I can just not eat, for a very long time.  But before that I thought salads for lunch every day would cure me, I was so convinced.  After a week and a half I suddenly couldn't get full, my brain was in the fridge all the time, and I was miserable.  If anyone wants to go off it and see if it's just your will power, go for it.  I don't.  I know this isn't placebo, because I know how my appetite controlled me and ruined everything I thought would for sure, this time, cure me.

barleyblair

• Teaching the old dog some new tricks.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 03:30:06 PM »

I've gone off the sugar water or canola oil for as long as six weeks and regained only very small amounts, which must mean some appetite suppression even though I didn't feel any lack of appetite.

Nor do I feel lack of appetite when I'm on the canola oil (which I now use in preference to the sugar water).  I don't feel the amazing lack of appetite that other people report, and I don't feel the exaggerated fullness after eating that other people report.  What I feel is a happy appetite and pleasant fullness.

Until a week ago I was losing weight very, very slowly, but very pleasantly.  A week ago I made two more changes and lost 2.25 pounds in 5 days, unprecedented for me.  (The changes were to stop eating breakfast and stop eating leftovers.)  I'll be interested to see whether those changes continue to have such a dramatic effect; I'll weigh myself tomorrow and report.

Based on what I've observed in myself, I'm guessing it may be possible to lower one's set point permanently without continuing the sugar or oil.
xxx, barley blair

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »

Once I reach a happy weight, I can totally imagine myself waking up every morning, downing one tbs of olive oil for breakfast and putting off my coffee or tea for an hour after that. For the rest of my life.

Totally.

This is me exactly. I took my birth control pill every day when that was necessary. I take my thyroid supplement and my allergy pills every day. I brush my teeth every day. My husband takes his diabetic meds every day. A daily dose of oil would fall in the "Sure, it keeps me healthy" category of living. Easy peasy.

vcanfield

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 05:13:03 PM »

I would take the oil AND do a hula while singing the Star Spangled Banner in Latin, only wearing a tutu (alone of course) if I could stay at my ideal weight without fighting my appetite. Heck, I would even consider letting my husband watch for fun, but only at my ideal weight. LOL

mdc

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 06:28:41 PM »

:D That was too funny! thanks for the LOL!

vcanfield

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 08:15:56 PM »

Glad to add some humor. :D The really sad thing is- I REALLY would do it! Slaves to our appetites, oh the depths we sink to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18