Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
"Undoing or unlearning bad eating habits"

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Undoing or unlearning bad eating habits"  (Read 7003 times)

SFGary

"Undoing or unlearning bad eating habits"
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:34:18 PM »

Hi Seth (and other forum members)

First the experience and then the question:

I came across your link while browsing SFist last Friday and I broke my rule about clicking on ads and did. And I am glad that I
did. I started on the canola oil (while waiting for Amazon to get busy) of 2tbsp x2 after the sugar water experiment became
tedious. I now just chug the oil and chase it with a glass of water. Within a day or two I felt "strange." It turned out that I was
losing my appetite. Great! So far so good. But in the next couple of days I also noticed that while my appetite was going away
and my pants were looser around the waist my eating and drinking had not appreciably lessened, I was still eating the same
foods- you call them ditto foods and some of it with high carbs like french bread, white rice and potatoes. I had become "accustomed" to eating twice or thrice a day, like clockwork, and in the evening after my workout doing my loyal duty to keep the wine industry solvent. Instinctively I know that this pretty much kills any gains of the SL diet or for that matter any other diet.

So this is where I come to the "undoing or unlearning of bad eating habits." One part of the brain says you are not hungry but the part that controls habits says but its lunch time or dinner time, you must be hungry, eat something. Did you or the others on this forum face this problem?

I hasten to add that I do plan ( I think I have the will power) to cut down and vary the food intake and switch to non alcoholic
wine but it would be nice to see this issue addressed because I think that's what negates most efforts eventually: one either goes back to the old habits after losing some weight or one sabotages the dieting in myriad other ways.

Gary

PS: Before anyone asks my weight, I would like to say that its a closely guarded state secret, suffice to say that I could create a
smaller, healthier twin if I lost the excess poundage...

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: "Undoing or unlearning bad eating habits"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:44:40 PM »

A little bit -- while losing weight I ate a little bit in order to eat even though I wasn't hungry. But mostly I didn't have trouble skipping many meals.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:26:06 AM »

Gary, I'm not having any trouble skipping most meals, on account of eating has become a pretty joyless exercise for me. I'm delighted with that for now; I have an evil twin to get rid of, myself. But I look forward to the day, however many months hence, I can cut back on the oil and crave the occasional pizza. Eating isn't supposed to be a joyless exercise.

I looked at my eating habits and decided one won't budge: lunch, because it's a badly needed break from work. But I'm having no problem making that soup. That's pretty much it for the day for me. That, and a diminishing number of vodka and tonics at night (diminishing because they have a heck of a lot of heft on an empty stomach).
Running weight tally:

xt92879

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:34:30 AM »

Gary, I'm not having any trouble skipping most meals, on account of eating has become a pretty joyless exercise for me. I'm delighted with that for now; I have an evil twin to get rid of, myself. But I look forward to the day, however many months hence, I can cut back on the oil and crave the occasional pizza. Eating isn't supposed to be a joyless exercise.

I looked at my eating habits and decided one won't budge: lunch, because it's a badly needed break from work. But I'm having no problem making that soup. That's pretty much it for the day for me. That, and a diminishing number of vodka and tonics at night (diminishing because they have a heck of a lot of heft on an empty stomach).

LOL.

I'm having trouble on the diet with lunch as well. If I don't leave my desk (meaning my comfy chair and internet connection) people will come and bring me work, or engage me in work-related conversation. So I find myself purposely bringing food I need to make in the kitchen here int he office. Once the weather lets up, I think I'll just start going for a long walk...

I still have cravings for certain foods (mostly sweets/chocolate), but I find that my craving is satisfied after much less than the usual amount. I'm usually one of those "eat the whole bag" kind of snackers - and now, food is just sitting around... I just don't want it the way I used to.

porkypine

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:41:49 AM »

I am having the lunch issue too. Mostly, I need to break to rest my eyes since I'm in front of a computer all day. Recently, I have spent my lunch hours going shopping or going on drives through the country (I work in a small city, so it's easy to get out.) I don't feel guilty telling my coworkers I am going out to lunch and then not eating.

skramer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:17 AM »

A little bit -- while losing weight I ate a little bit in order to eat even though I wasn't hungry. But mostly I didn't have trouble skipping many meals.

Seth --

During that period

1)  How many calories/day of oil or sugar water were you consuming?
2)  Split among how many doses/day?
3)  Were you also doing crazy spicing or any other Shangri La method in addition to the oil or sugar water?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18