Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144.6; 11/14/08 @132.2

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144.6; 11/14/08 @132.2  (Read 20864 times)

VeganKitten

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/15 @142.4
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 08:04:45 AM »

Xtine, I am right there in the boat with you, practically sitting in your lap. Actually I think Oslo is in our boat too!  :lol: :lol:

The average-calorie-level seems to be the key, for me. With all the SLD tricks to keep the level right.
And like you, I find 1500 is perfect maintenance, and lower = a slow loss.

I've never really lost more than 0.5 pound a week -- except when I first tried SLD back last July. Most of the weight I've lost in my life has been at the slower pace.

You're doing great!!!

xtine

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 08:24:39 AM »

Thanks for the support and company, Vegankitten and Heidi 555.  I like being in the boat with you!  Heidi, I think your suggestion of summaries every so often as to What's Working is a good one--- I might do that once a month or so--- because with all the ideas and suggestions on these forums, it can be hard to see the wood for the trees at times.   I also think in the "5-15 lbs to lose female" category, things will be tighter and specific tips/ tricks will be helpful to receive.  Onwards and downwards (and VeganKitten, you should totally wear that sexy black dress out!  Hips shmips...)  :)

xtine

Re: xtine returns
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:31:34 AM »

Hi there Xtine  - I didn't read through all your old posts again- but I see you had switched to coconut oil from flax - why-- if flax was what you thinkg was working the best?  Cheers, Oslo

So, Oslo I can answer your question better now (having been back through my old records a bit more systematically):  MOOD and ENERGY are the answers.   With CO I got great mood and energy but wild crazy dreams; Flax on the other hand knocks me out and helps me sleep.  Hence CO in the day and flax at night..  Also this way I get the Omega 3 I need from flax (which CO doesn't provide) though (being prone to mild depression) I also take Omega-Brite, which really helps with mood for me. www.omegabrite.com

VeganKitten

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »

I'm going to read more about oil + mood ... I've taken antidepressants for years (Zoloft/sertraline) and I believe that was what got me so overweight in the first place. (I went from 130 to 191 pounds during the first 7 years I was on it.)

I tapered from an average of 189mg to 150mg per day (from Jan-June '08), but I've stopped at that level for now, since I also am susceptible to seasonal depression, I want to get really used to the 150mg level before fall + winter.

Ideally I'd like to be not taking it at all, but I've tried to taper a few times before without success, so I am going ULTRA slow. I've been on it since age 18. (and I'm 34 now.)

Rhodiola Rosea (a Siberian herb) has really helped as an energy-stabilizer/mood brightener during this process (Google it :)

xtine

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »

Thanks for those thoughts, VeganKitten.  I think if I'd grown up in the US instead of Australia (I'm 48 now) and ten-fifteen years later... I would have been prescribed anti-depressants at various points.  Not sure if that's a plus or a minus, but there it is--- I grew up in a context of "Stop moping" and "Get some more fresh air and get over it" which wasn't always that helpful.  On the other hand, I haven't had to battle the side-effects of Zoloft etc. which sound pretty tough--the weight gain is no fun, as various friends have attested!

I've found the Omega-Brite helpful, when I take it consistently, and exercise-generated endorphins indispensible.   But the winters here really lay me low.  Interested to check out the Rhodiola--do you have an outlet you recommend?

IndianGirl

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »

Rhodiola Rosea (a Siberian herb) has really helped as an energy-stabilizer/mood brightener during this process (Google it :)

Rhodiola side effects:
http://www.earthclinic.com/Supplements/rhodiola.html

IndianGirl

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »

Yoga is a great mood enhancer, figure enhancer. Why not try yoga to enhance body and improve mood?

I have found that if I practice the following 2 pranayams for 15 minutes a day, it improves my mood considerably:
Kapalbhati pranayam and anulom-vilom pranayam. I practice the version taught by Baba Ramdev. You can google this.

xtine

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, IndianGirl--will check it out. 

xtine

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Feeling more positive after a blecch few days of no scale movement (or, er, much else moving besides).  Have just investigated the Hacker's Diet site (thank you friends for pointing me there).  I love the "moving average" tracking graph!  So much saner than following every little bump up and down... a powerful tool.  I also did the calculations there which figure as an average build woman of 5'4", I need to eat 1270 cals / day to lose 1 lb a week.  That is not much!! Not when 300 of it is oil. 

So here is my NEW PLAN to conquer constipation, lose weight, stay sane and feel well....

Instead of taking the oil alone I will try the "oil milk" or a variation, nose clipped--- lecithin, CO, egg white (gods, will these things mix together???) as a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.  Those times of day are really good ones for me to take FFC for AS (acronyms sprouting wildly here).   And plan SMALL meals for breakfast and lunch with lots of vegies, water content, fiber... so I can save up for a nice dinner which is when I see my partner.  With the nose-clipped oil milk I don't think I'll get hungry, even with small breakfasts and lunches.  (Kind of like 4 mini-meals, including the "oil-milk" ones).  I think I can make this work at 1200 or so cals/ day, and leave room for a little glass of red wine and square of chocolate!

I'm also going to avoid cheese and other dairy except for yogurt, because it seems to gum me up something horrible. Wheat seems fine but the uncultured dairy---my body doesn't do well with it.

I now have coconut oil (from mail order) so plan to use that as my am. oil dose and flax as the pm. one--- coconut for energy and bounce, flax for good sleep and omega 3s.

Also: will make a rule to not eat after 9 pm as all accounts seem to suggest that's not good for weight loss.  Will keep you all posted as to how this works out!

xtine

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »

So, almost 3 weeks in and the scale is back where I began AND my jeans are no looser, despite the BFL weight / aerobic plan.  Something needs tweaking.  I wrote in the exercise thread about this--- whether others find the heavy weights' intense aerobics routine good for weightloss or whether lower- stress, but sustained exercise works better for you? 

xtine

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/21 @143.8
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »

OK, it's three weeks in today (to the Body for Life exercise program and calorie watching; and 2 weeks into SLD).
Here's my 3 week report:

1. Have hovered around the same weight for this 3 weeks; the Hacker's Diet graph reports 0.25lbs/ week loss on a moving average.

2. Feeling and looking more toned, especially around belly and hips

3. Hitting some problems with the BFL routine.  The lower body weights are causing me crazy soreness and making it hard to manage the aerobics days. 

4. Digestive problems: squidgy crampy stomach and battling constipation.  Have added fiber and bulky foods but I think my body is having a hard time adjusting to less food, more protein, and the oil.  Have also added probiotics.

ADJUSTMENTS:
1. Because my weight's barely budged, and at my weight and perimenopause (I'm 48) I need to track calories as well as rely on AS, I've joined Weight Watchers online.  I was tracking cals anyway but don't think my guesstimates were very accurate.  What I like about the WW system is 1. it's much easier to tally points than cals 2. the system is geared towards more bulk, fiber and vegies which I need!

2. To manage the WW points I'm reducing the amount of oil I take to 2 tsp flax combined with a protein/ fiber nose clipped smoothie to provide enough FFC but also not completely blow out the points allowance.  I've tried the metabolic reset shake but the vanilla flavor is so overpowering that even nose-clipped it lingers for ages after... Any suggestions?  I do best avoiding dairy and wheat-based stuff. Egg protein shakes, anyone?

3. I'm moderating the BFL program so I can still walk the day after a Lower Body weights workout!  so, doing less reps and not training to fail point on lower body exercises.

4. Including gentle moderate aerobic exercise on weights days (a walk or a skate) for 45-60 mins.  I like moving at this gentler pace and get a good endorphin result from the longer periods. 

Thanks all for being there, and wish me luck this week!  As I do you all.  May we be all be happy, healthy and at peace with our bodies.

xtine

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/23 @142.2
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »

Finally today down a pound from yesterday (to 142.2) after bouncing around the same 2 lbs for 3 weeks.  HOpe it keeps up! I will really feel like things are starting to happen (including that I can zip up my jeans again!!) once I get back under 140.  Alarm bells ring for me when I drift up over that number, I'm usually around there and happier in the mid 130s.  This last year has been both sedentary and stressful with a new job, a lot of travel, and a lot of eating out on the road, and it shows!! I gained about 5-7 lbs in a year.  I thought because it was "new" podge it would fall off pretty quickly and I'd get back to "normal", but no!!

I kind of feel that I'm on the road now, that my body has settled in to the shock of increased exercise and it's ready to lose some weight.    I'm also finding the Weight Watchers tracking system a real lot easier than counting calories online, and notice that it's nudging me towards more vegies, more high-water content high fiber foods too. Which has to be good.  I'm including fiber with my daily oil (putting psyillium in the water I drink to wash it down---taking CO in the morning and flax in the afternoon) because that lowers a TBSP of oil in the WW system to 3 points instead of 4.  Maybe this is a weird kind of gaming the system, but fiber's good for you anyway, right? Onwards and downwards...

xtine

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/27 @140.4
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 07:05:17 AM »

Hurray, down 2 lbs today!! At 140.4 today.  Finally!  I cannot wait to be in the 130s and banish the 140s from my life. And the gummed up thing seems to be easing a little, thanks all for all the great suggestions.

Now, here's the thing.  I hovered round the same weight for the first 3 weeks of this month.  This last week I have been tracking with Weight Watchers online and have consistently been going down each/ most / days.  So I am sticking with WW. 

Also really rethinking the oil, I think I need to build in the FFCs as something I"d eat anyway (a la Heidi's noseclipping?) because the margins are so small-- I only get 18 pts from WW (though I do boost that somewhat with all the exercise).  And I want my digestion back to where it was if I can (which was pretty good on a good week: morning tea followed by trip to loo!).

Heidi 555

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 07:24:37 AM »

Congratulations xtine!  I'm so happy to hear of your success.  You earned it!  I hope your good success continues to flow smoothly now.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

xtine

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »

Thanks, Heidi, you're a doll. And best wishes for injury free exercise and happy SLD-ing to you as well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18