Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144.6; 11/14/08 @132.2

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144.6; 11/14/08 @132.2  (Read 21087 times)

xtine

xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144.6; 11/14/08 @132.2
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

Updating at the top of the thread is silly because it doesn't show a new post.  OK, from now on I'm writing at the bottom of my thread like everyone else does.

UPDATE Oct 26.  Stable at around 136 all month (October) and have been erratic on the oil.  Time to be consistent with that again. My new thing: exercise before eating or drinking anything but water in the morning.  Makes finding the oil window a bit tricker but it's supposed to help burn fat.  So we'll see.

UPDATE Oct 13.  Bounced up a bit to 137.4 with TOM.  I'm hoping it shifts back down, but I still feel good and my favorite pants are still fitting well.  Hopefully after stablizing here I'll have another drop in lbs.  My pattern seems to be up a bit then back down at TOM (about a 10 day up/ down in all) then I lose whatever I'm going to lose that month in the next 2 1/2 weeks, then up a bit again.  So far the "ups" have been less than the "downs" overall which is good.  After this month I'll have 4 months of daily tracking on the Hacker's Diet site and will be able to see whether that pattern holds true. 

UPDATE Sept 27: 135.6 after a week of travel and eating out a lot.  What I'm doing (since weight began really budging:
-taking calcium supplements
-using ONLY FSO 2x day (not CO as well)
-walking/jogging for 40-60 mins day
-eating more non-fat yogurt & kefir.
-increasing my fiber intake with Fiber One and Gnu bars as well as lots of fruit & veg, and beans when I get it together.

Not noticing huge AS but I am also routinely (and with no difficulty) not drinking much alcohol; not eating sweets and pastries;
and only having bread rarely (with a good restaurant meal).

One more pound to go and I will have lost 10 lbs!  That will be awesome.
UPDATE Sept 20, whooshed down 3 lbs!  Now at 136.4
UPDATE Sept 12: down to 139.6, exactly 5 lbs from starting weight in nearly 12 weeks. 
UPDATE after 2 months (July 7- Sept 7, 2008):  Lost 5 pounds (from 144.6 to 139.0) and after a hefty TOM, bumped up a couple of pounds then down again to 140.6.  So to date, I have lost 4 lbs in 2 months.  My Hacker's Diet graph gives me a monthly average loss of 0.51 lbs per week. 

Hello all!  I'm back and giving it another go.  I just dug out and re-read my thread from 2 years ago-- it's here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=1180.15

Well, I drifted away from SLD into a hugely busy and stressful 2 years where I kind of dropped the ball on self-care somewhat---but now I have some summer free time to catch up on my life (and truly assess the state of my hips!!!) On browsing and re-reading my thread, am humbled to realize that the SLD, when I did it for a few months 2 years ago, was the most successful weight loss program I'd EVER done.  I was astonished to read that I'd dropped to 132 lbs without much strain.  So I'm heading back there again!!  I'm chastened that I stopped because along with weight loss I'm recalling the softer hair and skin, better sleep and better mood that come with flax oil....

Starting date: Monday, July 7, 2008
Weight:  144 lbs (yes, I know, why didn't I stay with SLD?)
Goal: 130 lbs (but would be very happy to drop 10lbs and zip up favorite stripey pants again!)
Method:  Starting with 2 T flax oil, noseclipped
Exercise: I started the Body-For-Life challenge, as did Shovelqueen, one week ago (June 30) and we're posting about it on the "All About Exercise" thread under "General".

(UPDATE: 8/25/08: 139 so 5 lbs down in 7 weeks.   That's not too bad!  Would be happy if I can keep that up.)

Nice to be back and wish me luck and stamina! It's great to re-encounter old allies and meet new ones.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:17:38 AM by xtine »

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: xtine returns
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

great to see you back!  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Oslo

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »

Hi there Xtine  - I didn't read through all your old posts again- but I see you had switched to coconut oil from flax - why-- if flax was what you thinkg was working the best?  Cheers, Oslo
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

xtine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »

HI Oslo-- I honestly can't remember exactly, but I think it was because I read a bunch of stuff on line about the benefits of CO and since I was taking Omega-Brite capsules (for Omega 3) as well as flax-seed on cereals for breakfast, thought it might be a good balance.  But from what I recall, my AS was best with flax and I've also been persuaded, this time at least by Seth's very positive reports on it. ... so we'll see how we go!

lvivianka

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:30:13 PM »

WELCOME BACK!!!!
and good luck.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:07:33 AM »

yeah, welcome back xtine!!!  :)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

xtine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:12:31 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, friends!  I feel a bit sheepish having ditched it for so long (and er, seen the results) but I'm glad to be back.  Pinkmug, it's very nice to see you're still here! I hope it's going great for you.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »

Oooh it's going sooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow  :(
But I love the company here  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

xtine

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

Yes, the company's great.  So entertaining---better than ice-cream!  And slow is better than not at all, though I do understand the frustration... seems that being within "normal" BMI (as you are, no?) we have to crawl off those last 5 or 10 pounds. 

Well I feel very good today, happy to be sticking to the exercise and having mild AS and definitely better mood and sleep.  yay for flax oil and let's hope I have the smarts to stick with it this time...  Pinkmug it's nice to hear from you and i'm glad you're hanging in there too.

xtine

No visible progress yet
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

... so, 2 weeks of increased exercise (Body for Life routine) and reduced calories and the scale has budged not at all.  Probably because I"m growing muscle but I still wish for some sign of progress!!  Humph.  Also quite constipated which seems to accompany modest increases in dairy and protein intake for me.  Trying to boost my fiber count too (I'm tracking it) but I do hit this problem regularly.

While traveling (I take flax oil) I've found the capsules to be a very convenient way to keep taking the oil---three days' supply fit nicely in a little tupperware thingy and I dont have the hassle of oil, water, nose-clipping, rinsing out the residue etc.  So that's my new travel tip and it works well.  Now, I just wish that the pounds would budge! 

xtine

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »

Traveling is a challenge!  But I've done OK in my weekend in NY.  AS is not super-dramatic for me, but it's tangibly there.  that is, I could just NOT EAT and it would be OK, which makes it easier to eat smaller amounts and feel more detached from the process.  I feel less like drinking alcohol too (and have been cutting back on that-- not that i was a big drinker before).  I crave V8 vegetable juice!! Weird, all of it.

Been going back through my previous threads (from previous SLD time) and am amused to note (in a rueful way) that I've hit similar problems before ---the constipation and bloating that for me, goes with increased dairy & protein input.  I solved it last time with the wonderful Power Pudding and then keeping up fluid intake and having more non-dairy fiber and protein (ie. beans, tofu, veg). So soon as I'm home, it's to the supermarket for prunes, apple puree and prune juice!!!  I seem to digest meat OK (in small amounts) and bread tolerably (ditto) but dairy, other than yogurt (especially cheese) just slams the brakes on my digestion/ elimination. Maybe my ancestors didn't evolve with cows.

Heidi 555

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:51 AM »

xtine, I wonder if maybe you're not losing because you need more flavorless calories?  Have you tried nose clipping a meal?  Or maybe upping your oil dose to 3T?  Thinking about you and hoping you start losing soon!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

xtine

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/15 @142.4
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:51:34 AM »

Hurray, finally down a bit!  Nearly 2 lbs.  It really seems to go that way: Stuck, then drop.  Then little bounce, then same again.
Glad I hung in there for no weight loss for 2 weeks (was counting cals from June 30, a week before starting SLD again).
My bloating/ constipation is resolved and I'm sure that's helping.  Starting to enjoy improving fitness after initial exhaustion and adjustment to stepped up exercise.

Just read back through my old threads and it was really instructive! I'll dig them out later this afternoon and post the URLS here so it's all in a place I can find it easily.  To summarize, here's what I learned from previous attempts at SLD (on one of which I lost 8 lbs, good going for a 47 y.o. woman in the "healthy BMI" weight range.

1. Persistence leads to success, and weight loss is characterized by plateaus, drops, and little bounces
2. Best combo for me for mood and energy was CO in the day and flax or walnut at night, along with Omega-Brite fish oil caps for mood.
3. Increasing low fat dairy ALWAYS gums up my system resulting in horrid constipation, which more vegie proteins and fibers, lots of water and power pudding resolves!  I have to be very careful with protein increases to make sure the fiber, veggie and water count ALSO stays high or I always hit this highly unpleasant problem.
4. One to one and a half pounds a week is fast for me.  It's more like 2-3 lbs a month.
5. Nose-clipping works; nose-clipped smoothies work almost too well.
6. Flax oil (and walnut) at night makes me sleep very soundly.  Coconut oil, on the other hand, gives me wild and crazy dreams at night (not so good) but great energy if taken during the day.

xtine

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »

xtine, I wonder if maybe you're not losing because you need more flavorless calories?  Have you tried nose clipping a meal?  Or maybe upping your oil dose to 3T?  Thinking about you and hoping you start losing soon!

Thanks for thinking of me, Heidi!  As you were writing, I was typing in my triumphant "finally the scales are moving" post.  And I think that I will up the flavorless cals---that really seems to work.  For me, because I don't have a real lot to lose (though I would be very happy to see it go!!!) I also have to count cals--- below 1300 I seem to lose; at 1500 and above nothing budges, it seems. 

Heidi 555

Re: xtine: start 7/7/08 @ 144; 7/15 @142.4
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:29 AM »

xtine, I'm so happy to hear to hear the great news!  Congrats on hanging in there.  Your summary was excellent.  It seems like we each could use to to ongoingly summarize what works best. 
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18