Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Taste-deprived rats die from malnutrition

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taste-deprived rats die from malnutrition  (Read 5759 times)

Heidi 555

Taste-deprived rats die from malnutrition
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

From a book called NOURISHING WISDOM A New Understanding of Eating by Marc David
In one fascinating experiment scientists deprived a group of test rats of taste sensation. Both this group and a control group were placed on normal rat diets, and in a short time the taste-deprived rats all died. When the rats were autopsied, scientists could find only one cause of death clinical malnutrition. The scientists could come up with only one explanation that there are important yet unknown physiological connections between taste and health.

Unfortunately, there are no notes in the book to document this study.  Also, no info on how they were deprived of taste.  But it sure does sounds like the study showed that without taste and flavor the rats' bodies were unable to recognize the food. 

Here's his web site: http://www.marcdavid.com/  Maybe I'll e-mail him and ask about the study. 

I thought his book was a very good read for anyone wanting to deeply explore the connections between eating, thinking, and feeling.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

lynne

Re: Taste-deprived rats die from malnutrition
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:43:03 PM »

Heidi, that is really, really interesting. Also a little scary! It suggests that eating without flavour, like with nose-clipping could be compromising health. It does kind of make sense though. If you take some thing into the body the brains way of deciding what it is and therefore what to do with it would be by one of the senses (ie taste). That is what the five senses are for after all. So if there is no recognition of the food by the brain.....what does the body do with it? You would think it would pass right through undigested, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

The AS effect of the flavourless oil (or whatever) is so mysterious to me. None of the theories put forward on this forum (by myself and others) seems to really explain it completely.

I wonder what are the clinical trials Seth is working on, and I really hope he comes up with some explaination for this effect in the end. Because there is no denying the effect, in my mind. But why?? And how??

shovelqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »

Don't forget, though, that rats, being animals, are much less suceptible to environmental cues for eating, and really only respond to physiological cues for eating.  If their appetite is totally suppressed by never sensing food, they might just not eat, to the point of starving themselves.  We, on the other hand, would rationalize that we "need" to eat because it's "good for us".  That's the difference that a critically thinking brain has on us. 

Some folks with Alzheimer's dementia literally lose their appetites, to the point where you can't make them eat.  There is no rationalizing with them, they simply will not recognize the need to eat, hence they don't eat.  A real challenge for caregivers...

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »

That's a very interesting study, which I hadn't heard of. Thanks, Heidi, for posting about it.

Heidi 555

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:27:56 AM »

It suggests that eating without flavour, like with nose-clipping could be compromising health.
Not necessarily. Perhaps the set point of the rats just stayed perpetually lowered and thus they kept losing weight. Then they just died of too much weight loss. The rats weren't given choices. Losing a certain percentage of fat would be health promoting. The experiment seems to support Seth's theory quite nicely.

We swallow pills and medicine without tasting it and the body utilizes it. So it's not that the body doesn't recognize something flavorless. There's more to it than that.

So far none of the SLD rats have died of malnutrition. :D  Tim Beneke appears to have fared quite well on a tasteless diet. The only person who thinks I'm malnourished is my mother!

I e-mailed Marc this morning. I will post about any response I receive from him.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Sugardude

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »

Did you ever get a response?
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3LFPSy/]

[/url]

Heidi 555

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:31:35 AM »

I never got a response.  Thanks for asking.  I totally forgot about it.  Maybe I'll try resending the e-mail one more time.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18