Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What's your personal favorite theory?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your personal favorite theory?  (Read 16977 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: What's your personal favorite theory?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 02:09:17 AM »

Hmmm I never had morning sickness when I was pregnant.
And SLD doesn't work well for me, either.
Is this just a coincidence, or is there a correlation?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 05:41:06 AM »

I never had morning sickness either.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

I never had morning sickness either.

so much for a hypothesis...
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »

maybe I am the exception.

When I was first pregnant, before I knew for sure, I had unbelievable AS.  I remember this because it was Thanksgiving, and I couldn't eat hardly any of it.  It was one of my clues.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 08:50:24 AM »

ah, funny, me on the contrary, the first thing that made suspicious I might be pregnant was that i was totally ravenous, from day one!
I ate everything during my pregnancies and didn't have any weird cravings, or morning sickness.
But i had to put perfumes aside for a while, they indeed made me sick.

shovelqueen

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 09:02:48 AM »

ah, funny, me on the contrary, the first thing that made suspicious I might be pregnant was that i was totally ravenous, from day one!
I ate everything during my pregnancies and didn't have any weird cravings, or morning sickness.
But i had to put perfumes aside for a while, they indeed made me sick.

I had morning sickness (actually all day nausea) with son#1, much less with son#2.  The big tick-off for me was a total intolerance of coffee.  My co-workers saw me order tea for morning break and said, "Are you pregnant again?"  And no red meat at all for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy #1.  I ate alot of eggs and egg salad. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »

Hmmm... time to start a poll on the correlation between pregnancy morning sickness and AS on SLD!

(we know Karkinha is an exception)  :D

Buttercup

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »

Hormone and/or neurotransmitter connection...how the brain communicates to the rest of the body.  A lot of the "side effects" people report on SLD remind of serotonin side effects, which are different for everyone, and which tend to subside for most people after a couple of weeks...headache, stomach upset, sleeping worse or better, light-headed, sleepy, jittery, etc. ad nauseum.  I think if that is the case, there is definitely also something else at work, which is Seth's theory about tasteless calories.  In a way I feel it's best not to know because it works just the way it is...if the mechanism or chemical responsible is found, drug companies will make pills to mimic the effect and it will be expensive.  Let's hope it only gets tested for effectiveness and not for the "how," but we will always want to know so some day we will probably get the answer.

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

Check this out, it may be one of the reasons the oil works.
http://www.realage.com/ct/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/tip/7804 

I just started back on SLD this past Sunday, and am enjoying the benefits.  Sure wish I had not taken a 6 month leave of absence.

bigbaddar

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »

Welcome back...rps930...

And my personal theory....is......

a combination of Seth's theory and other opinions on this board...  Seth figured out the initial starting point of flavourless calories and it's affect on appetite.  (Thank you, Seth)   Then he hit upon ELOO....which it turns out has multiple positive health benefits...one of which is correcting the imbalances within the digestive tract... As that system corrected, the endocrine system got tweaked and became more balance because vitamins, minerals, nutrients, etc were being absorbed at a much better rate.  Anyway...that's my opinion....

and Josh...I agree with your poison theory...although I hadn't looked at it as "poison" before...but the thought pattern is there.  ELOO somehow interferes with chemically enhanced flavours....it explains why I no longer want to drink pepsi, or any soda for that matter...it also explains why JUNK food..like cheese curls, twinkies, etc...turn my stomach...literally..just like morning sickness...can't walk down the aisle at the grocery store....and yes....had the same feeling when pregnant...

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

Buttercup

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

The real beauty is that it doesn't just work with oil.  Sugar water and the like does too, and then the discovery that taking in tasteless calories like Beneke's Mush Balls, or just nose-clipping works as well or better.  Can't just be what the oil is doing, and some people have had better AS on sugar water than oil or vice-versa.  But clearly the bottom line is tasteless calories, with oils giving other benefits.  It's just all so interesting.

Clarinette

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 08:18:18 AM »

Hi Darkhorse,
Wow! you did very good on Shangri La. Isn't not nice to know that we have a way to stay thin if we put ourself into it? Which I didn't... but I didn't know about the Cream otherwise I think that I would have been back before. You did a great great job Darkhorse. Keep doing what you do because you did very well.

Darkhorse

• To thine own self be true.
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »

Hi Clarinette, thanks for your sweet words. I am 100% convinced that there is a way for some version of SLD be of benefit to everyone. Life happens to all of us without exception, but no one can take away the knowledge we have now about SLD and it will always be there for us. And, you're here, aren't you. You are a seeker, and you have proven that you do not give up.
F48,54
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120
-1T Oil/day, and/or Ns-clip 300-500 cals food
- Eat fewer calories; only high quality
"The better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied." Michael Pollan-The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Clarinette

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »

Oh! Darkhorse,

Look at me going... lol I'll made it this time and you know what? I will stick to it too for ever  :P

lrgiblet

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

I think Josh's theory (the main part, . . . he got off track a little in the last half of his post) almost accommodates everything.

I'd modify it slightly.

It could be that we have a mechanism designed to increase appetite when we sense that there's a sure source of non-poisonous food. (this is slightly different from saying that we have an aversion to "that which is not food").

And we determine that a source of food is non-poisonous through a strengthening of the flavor/calorie association.

The idea here is that if a food doesn't agree with us, we won't eat it  (from disgust, or nausea-related aversion), and the association won't become strong.

If the association between flavor and calories is strong, that indicates we've been eating it happily for a while. Therefore, let's stock up!  It's safe, and abundant.  Let's go!

Now, if we take the oil or sugar water, it's not that it's "that which is not food" that causes AS. Instead, because there is no calorie-flavor association, the "let's stock up" trigger is not tripped.

Similarly, with crazy spicing, the flavor calorie association is not strong, because it's a novel flavor.

And with nose-clipping the strength of the signal is muted, because part of it is blocked, and so it doesn't trigger the "let's stock up" response either.

So it's more that the overeating signal is not triggered than that the "poison" alert is given. 

It's more a matter of being cautious about loading up on a source of calories until after we've had several good experiences with that flavor than of going into panic mode with an unfamiliar flavor.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18