Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sunflower kernels?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunflower kernels?  (Read 4195 times)

MarcF

Sunflower kernels?
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

Hi there,

New to the boards and to the diet concept, came across it while munching some kernels at my desk in work.

I was thinking over the taste-calorie dissociation thing, and I came to the conclusion that sunflower kernels (possibly nose-clipped, but they don't taste of much anyway) may make a suitable alternative to the oil?  Is there something about oil being liquid that makes it better for SLD?

I came up with this after realising that eating 25g of sunflower kernels (150kcal, 5g protein, 4.7g carbs, 7.8g polyunsaturates, 1.1g saturates) washed down with 500ml water made me feel full for a good 5-6 hours after, and I'm usually a heavy eater in the evenings.  It might be worth noting I nibbled 25g over the course of about 30 mins.

In the spirit of self-experimentation I might modify my existing diet to roughly follow SLD's theory, but substitute the oil for sunflower kernels and see what happens.  After all they are just sunflower oil with all the good stuff left in. :)

If anyone can think of anything that might stop me with this, let me know.  Thanks.

-Marc

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: Sunflower kernels?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »

It's the flavor of the sunflower seeds that might give you a problem. Other than that, I can't think of a thing to stop you.
Heidi 555 noseclips a lot of her food, maybe you should read up on her posts.
here are a few.
Noseclipping for crazy people http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?board=12;topic=2223.13#msg69534
Nose clipping lots of food really works it's easier! http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?board=6;topic=5903.97#msg69528

I think everyone that does oil does so because it is easy to take without flavor, and relatively quick to get the amount of calories needed in a gulp or two.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Heidi 555

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »

I would think that sunflower seeds would work great for SLD, especially if you nose clip them. I think that nibbling them and eating them slowly adds to the satiation effect. I perfer to get a lot of my oil in the form of nose clipped whole foods. I eat lots of different nuts and seeds, some ground up and others whole. Occasionally, there's mention on the forum of someone consuming oil in unextracted whole food form. I recall someone mentioning nose clipped avocados. Shovelqueen and other folks here regularly snack on small amounts of nuts without clips. I hope you give it a try and keep us posted on your results.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

MarcF

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

Thanks for your advice.

I'm going to start this tomorrow.

Will be tracking my food intake and any significant exercise, and will post it up ~weekly.

Wish me luck!

(Height 6'1", Starting Weight 233lbs, Target Weight 185ish)

Heidi 555

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »

Let us know your protocol: the amount of seeds that you'll take, if you'll be nose clipping them, and how many times a day you'll take them. Also I'll be curious if you experiment with other kinds of nuts or seeds, perhaps some work better than others. Good luck. I'll be excited to hear how it goes.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18