Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Refined olive oil (and how is everyone so happy to eat it?)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refined olive oil (and how is everyone so happy to eat it?)  (Read 4763 times)

faie

ELOO is, by definition, a refined oil. Refined olive oil is made by extracting whatever's left from the olive pulp and pits after pressing for the food grades. The impurities (including flavour) are removed chemically in most cases. Vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols, blah-blah are removed too. It's not usually considered a very good thing to eat. Left-wing health publications like 'The Ecologist' regularly print scare stories about the toxic effects of the extraction chemicals left in the oil. People sometimes fry chips in it, but don't use it as an eating oil. Even if mechanically expressed (and I don't know how they would remove the acid that way) the aim of refining is basically to get all oils clear and tasteless and to keep well, which involves heating it and destroying things. Then why ELOO? You might as well eat sunflower or other random vegetable oil, which are probably more tasteless still.

:( What really made me gulp my fructose water in horror was posts about refined walnut oil. Walnut oil is a precious, precious thing. It is sacrilegious to destroy it! America has a food problem, not an eating problem... (which fits Seth's theory that bad food with flavour leads to overeating).

VeganKitten

Re: Refined olive oil (and how is everyone so happy to eat it?)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Then why ELOO? You might as well eat sunflower or other random vegetable oil

As far as I know, olive oil (whether it's "light tasting" OR unrefined/virgin) is better for you than most other readily available oils.

I was concerned about the refined-ness of it, also, and I posted about that here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5508.msg57927#msg57927

Here's what principessa had to say:
Vegan Kitten - as an olive oil producer, the ELOO that we make is "pomace oil", or the very last pressing of the same olives that we used for the EVOO -- by the time they've been pressed 2 or 3x, many of the volatile acids that make the strong flavors are gone.  I wouldn't say the ELOO is "processed", as we do no chemical wash nor use any additives of any kind.  It's plain old organic olive oil, just not as fab as the first pressing EVOO.  Some producers heat the pomace before the last pressing, however I'm not sure I'd call even that result a processed food.

So, that reassured me a bit about comsuming it.

faie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:15:32 AM »

But that's only one brand. I bet it doesn't apply to the Bertolli stuff, which is all that's available here.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »

I have weighed the consequences of being morbidly obese and the consequences of drinking oil.

The so-called "experts" in nutrition have not shown me so far that I can trust their advice.
Eggs are bad for you
No wait, eggs are good for you
Coffee is bad
No wait, coffee is good
Low fat is BEST!
and etc etc etc

I have only experienced benefits from drinking olive oil.

I have lost 93 lbs and haven't had to starve to do it
I have decreased asthma symptoms (I have had asthma for 25 years)
I sleep better and more deeply
My skin is nowhere near as dry as it used to be and not scaly anymore
My hair is soft and shiny
My mood is more even

All in all, drinking ELOO has done nothing but improve my life to an extent that I believed previously was impossible.
So I have to believe the "experts" are wrong again.

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

justus

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »

Karky, I know you have had more benefits that you haven't mentioned. I would like to add at this time that I talked to two of my doctors, my general practioner and my surgeon, and both felt that there wasn't any way this could be harmful and to go right ahead and use the olive oil. Each said that the benefits would far out weigh any negatives there may or may not be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18