Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Just realized that I'm done!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just realized that I'm done!  (Read 24158 times)

minuet

Re: Just realized that I'm done!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »

Could you talk about little bit about any logisitics you used to help you make the initial transition to that way of eating. Did you pack lunches? Did you meal plan? Did you just keep the right things in the house? Any tips you can share woudl be great!
[/b][/color][/size]

Hi NorwayGirl,
The change to low carb has been some time coming for me, and it has happened in stages. When my blood sugar had shown an elevation in 2003, fear of the family curse of diabetes was enough to make me cut out all sugar.  I had been trying to eliminate starches and breads, and had cut back a bit. I knew that I could not afford to fail, but I found it very difficult, and had all the diet books.

In 2007, SLD gave me the appetite suppression to get real control.   Yes, I make it a point to keep foods that I cannot resist out of the house completely.  Amazingly, I found that I could easily replace my breakfast cereal with eggs and back bacon, and be quite satisfied. It is important to increase fat on a low carb diet, so I don’t skimp. I replaced rice and potatoes with lots of mushrooms, seasoned oven-baked turnip ‘fries’, lots of onions, etc. Again, don’t skimp on the olive oil or whatever fat you use. And I found Spagetti Squash.  I have actually used it in place of pasta with Spagetti Sauce.  Fabulous!  Eating out is easy.  When you are increasing the fat in a meal, you won’t miss the carbs.

There are lots of good websites to give ideas for low carb.  These are good. 

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/tipslowcarb_twsk.htm

As I mentioned previously, I do have carbs—breads, not sugars—occasionally, just not every day.  I know from Atkins days that long term drastic carb restriction is not sustainable, so now I am more flexible, and it is very enjoyable.

And, also, I want to stress that I could never, never have done this without Shangri-La.  You are in the right place. 

Wishing you success with whatever you decide to do.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

Could you talk about little bit about any logisitics you used to help you make the initial transition to that way of eating. Did you pack lunches? Did you meal plan? Did you just keep the right things in the house? Any tips you can share woudl be great!
[/b][/color][/size]

Hi NorwayGirl,
The change to low carb has been some time coming for me, and it has happened in stages. When my blood sugar had shown an elevation in 2003, fear of the family curse of diabetes was enough to make me cut out all sugar.  I had been trying to eliminate starches and breads, and had cut back a bit. I knew that I could not afford to fail, but I found it very difficult, and had all the diet books.

In 2007, SLD gave me the appetite suppression to get real control.   Yes, I make it a point to keep foods that I cannot resist out of the house completely.  Amazingly, I found that I could easily replace my breakfast cereal with eggs and back bacon, and be quite satisfied. It is important to increase fat on a low carb diet, so I don’t skimp. I replaced rice and potatoes with lots of mushrooms, seasoned oven-baked turnip ‘fries’, lots of onions, etc. Again, don’t skimp on the olive oil or whatever fat you use. And I found Spagetti Squash.  I have actually used it in place of pasta with Spagetti Sauce.  Fabulous!  Eating out is easy.  When you are increasing the fat in a meal, you won’t miss the carbs.

There are lots of good websites to give ideas for low carb.  These are good. 

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/tipslowcarb_twsk.htm

As I mentioned previously, I do have carbs—breads, not sugars—occasionally, just not every day.  I know from Atkins days that long term drastic carb restriction is not sustainable, so now I am more flexible, and it is very enjoyable.

And, also, I want to stress that I could never, never have done this without Shangri-La.  You are in the right place.

Wishing you success with whatever you decide to do.

This is so well said, I just wanted to comment to bump it.  Well worth reading.

Darkhorse

• To thine own self be true.
Re: Just realized that I'm done! 4 month update.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »

Hi all.
I had to leave the forums 4 months ago to undertake a very rough work assignment, which is now just about wound up.  I felt it was a good time for a little update.

After one year on SLD I went from 160 lbs in March 2007 to 119 in March, 2008. I may have overshot my ideal weight as I went as low as 112 in July during a particularly horrific period at work. Today I weigh 118, and have been bouncing between 116-118 for the past 6 weeks.  I still take 1½ to 2 TBS ELOO every evening and have not had the uncontrollable urge to eat and keep eating that I used to experience when emotional and physical cravings would rise up like a tag team against me.  I attribute this to the fact that SLD has helped me to conquer my addiction to carbs that made insulin drive my hunger, and to recognize that when cutting carbs made me feel lousy, it was just the way an addict has to suffer through withdrawal symptoms to get better.

For fifteen years, I was trying to control the rising weight with every possible diet (remember low fat?  That’s when it all started.)  I would have a big bowl of “healthy” bran cereal with nuts and fruit and low fat milk, run for miles 4 or 5 mornings, have that “healthy” wholewheat sandwich with low fat mayo for lunch, try to nibble melba toast all day, and go through loads of “low fat” cookies.  Dinner always included that “healthy” baked potato, or rice.  Then I would rush out to aerobics classes at night. This is what you were supposed to do, right?  Still, the weight kept climbing because I was always hungry, due to the constant insulin rush from those “healthy” carbs. And, thanks to all the running, I have a wonky ankle and hip,

Now I am naturally active--rowing and hiking in summer and skiing and snowshoeing in winter--but not desperately active, and am loving my new relationship with food.

I know that when we are faced with that urge to indulge in something unnecessary we want to blame it on hormones or something else, and are supposed to ask ourselves if we really want it. 

There is only one question I now ask myself:  “Do you want to be slim, or not?”
F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120
-1½T Oil/day, and/or Ns-clip 300-500 cals food
- Eat fewer calories; only high quality
"The better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied." Michael Pollan-The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Heidi 555

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »

Hi Darkhouse, thanks for dropping back with an update.  Glad to hear that the rough work assignment has finished and that you're easily maintaining your weight. 
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Oslo

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »

Hi there  -  wonderful you are in a good groove.    Back in May you mentioned you were taking your SLD dose every other day - and this week you wrote that you take yr ELOO every evening - after a few weeks did you find the every-other day not to be working as well as it did at first, or?   Thanks!   
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

Darkhorse

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »

Back in May you mentioned you were taking your SLD dose every other day - and this week you wrote that you take yr ELOO every evening - after a few weeks did you find the every-other day not to be working as well as it did at first, or?   Thanks! 
Hi Oslo,
I realized also that I said I had reached my 119 lbs in March, when I meant to say May.  Regarding the every other day dose, even though that was largely inadvertent at the time, it seemed to be ok.  But I was so delighted (and amazed) at how well the weight loss was going, and how wonderful I felt, that I didn’t really want to do anything to spoil it, and definitely did not want to experience those cravings again.  I wondered if I was compromising the set-point-lowering effect by deliberately skipping a day.  Obviously, there are times when this  happens accidently anyway.  Clearly, SLD in its purest form was what had gotten me to that point and I never forget it.  I do slightly vary the amount of oil from 1 to 1½  to 2 T from time to time.  Not sure why, though. :?

My greatest inspiration in the forums has been Karky, with her confident and quiet determination to stay the course (Hi Karky!), and who can argue with her results?
F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120
"The better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied." Michael Pollan-The Omnivore's Dilemma.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »

WOW
I am really flattered that people are taking a cue from my cussed stubborness.  8)

I take my cue from the people here who are also perservering.
Like mpq, nougat, pinkmug, wheatondad, and more I am sure will come to me after I hit "post"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Heidi 555

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »

My greatest inspiration in the forums has been Karky, with her confident and quiet determination to stay the course (Hi Karky!), and who can argue with her results?
I have to agree.  I am inspired by lots of people here, but Karky you are the most inspirational. 
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Darkhorse

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

WOW
I am really flattered that people are taking a cue from my cussed stubborness.  8)

I take my cue from the people here who are also perservering.
Like mpq, nougat, pinkmug, wheatondad, and more I am sure will come to me after I hit "post"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You’re right, of course Karky, there are quite a few long-time members who still persevere valiantly, and some with astounding results. I didn’t mean to disparage anyone. 

The reason that you and a few others stand out for me, aside from the fact that you joined around the time I did, is that, from what I can tell, you have been so patient and continued to take the oil even when results were not immediately forthcoming, and have pretty much stayed on that course, and not been too quick to try something else.  You remind me of my cat when she knows there is a shrew in the bushes and will wait motionless for hours, and cannot be distracted. She always gets her shrew. 

Besides, in your pictures you always had that impish look, like you knew something the rest of us didn’t, and I think you do.
F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »

She always gets her shrew.

I have been called a shrew before.  :lol:  :lol: TOM was hanging around, so it might have been true, but I don't think so... <snickers>
and have pretty much stayed on that course
I do have my eye on the goal, sometimes I can barely see it, but I still know it is there.  I am just taking the scenic route, and smelling the flowers along the way.  8)
Plus, the longer that lost weight stays lost, the less likely it can find me again.  :lol:

DH says he was attracted to me from the first because I was always laughing.  8)  And, I am usually up to something......

Darkhorse

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 03:51:40 AM »

Hi Amazing SLDers,

I have enjoyed being a little more active on the forums these past few days.  As of November 4, 2008, I will be leaving my home and these fabulous forums to embark on a very thrilling and broadening phase of my life.  Opportunities have come my way thanks in no small way to the confidence I have gained from my Shangri-La experience.

Wishing joy for all.
F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »

good luck on your thrilling life experiences.  I hope you occasionally check back in  8)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 04:04:38 AM »

Hey, wow, good luck and best of happiness in whatever you'll be doing!!
Must be something really exciting, the way you speak about it. Go for it!!

Of course the flip side is not having you around. You've been a great contribution to the forums. I personally thank you for the different insights that helped open my mind. And for letting me know about the anti-estrogenic diet!  :D

Peace, health, happiness to you at all times!!! :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Outrayjust

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »

Awesome! Here's wishing you amazing adventures.

~Outy

Heidi 555

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »

Congratulations and best wishes to you Darkhorse, on your new endeavors.  You have been a role model of knowledge, inspiration, and success.  I hope you'll drop back in with updates sometime down the road.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18