Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Just realized that I'm done!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just realized that I'm done!  (Read 24816 times)

minuet

« on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »

As of today, I am one pound below my original arbitrarily chosen “goal weight”, and some 40 lbs. lighter than I was one year ago.  No one is more surprised than I am, since I was delighted to be where I was last month.  I feel that SLD is bringing me where I should be naturally.  It’s as if I had been artificially-inflated, like a balloon, for 15 or so years and am returning to normal.  I can see that this ‘inflation’ was caused by my pious adherence to a low-fat, high-carb, artificially sweetened way of eating, which we were told for so long was the healthy way.  Then, I was always hungry, and allowed my diet to rule my life, often with draconian limits on my eating. And the weight continued to rise.

In reading some of Gary Taubes’ early writings, and later, Good Calories, Bad Calories, I could see that by stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat, and that by driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.  Obviously, weight loss depends on lowering insulin levels.  But it was hard to make the full transition to low carb until SLD came along to make it easy.

Both SLD and a low carbohydrate, medium protein and moderately high fat diet provide appetite suppression, each in its own way.  They complement each other perfectly, and, together, they make an unbeatable combination for painless, enjoyable lifetime weight control.   

I have never required a lot of food, but now  I am eating foods that I never would have dreamed of eating before: juicy steaks with the fat, chicken with the crispy skin on, lots of butter on vegetables, bacon and eggs, real cream on berries , full-fat salad dressings, though none of these in large quantities. The weight seems to be slowly sliding off, cholesterol levels have gone from worrisome a year ago to astounding today, and that gnawing, always hungry feeling is gone. 

Also, with the increased fat, there is no need to worry about fibre, since I have some serious doubts about this anyway. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18279550?dopt=Abstract

Experimenting is fun, and noseclipping is a clever extension of  SLD to ensure that the SLD oil is tasteless.  However, I have concluded that every time I used it for a lot of meals or even some snacks, it left me hungry and looking for that lost taste, and that it would not be compatible with lifetime normal eating as it causes too much fixation on food.  This is probably just me.

Oddly, for the past month, I have taken my 1-2 T ELOO only every other day or so, yet continued to have AS.  My intention is to continue this way, not too strictly, while being prepared to bump it up when needed.  I just toss it back from a shot glass late night or early morning and forget about it.

SLD is exquisite in its very simplicity, and I saw no need to complicate it.   Best of all, it works!

Peace and success to all, and God bless.
minuet

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: Just realized that I'm done!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »

I am sooooo glad for you!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

I am sooooo glad for you!

Me too Darkhorse! It's stories like yours that give me inspiration and keep me going!  And heaven knows I need all the help I can get at the moment.
Darkhorse my dear, can you elaborate a bit on what carbs you have cut out and what you still include?

Heidi 555

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »

Now that must be a GREAT feeling. 

Oddly, for the past month, I have taken my 1-2 T ELOO only every other day or so, yet continued to have AS.
That's great that AS is continuing on reduced oil.   

I have never required a lot of food, but now  I am eating foods that I never would have dreamed of eating before: juicy steaks with the fat, chicken with the crispy skin on, lots of butter on vegetables, bacon and eggs, real cream on berries , full-fat salad dressings, though none of these in large quantities. The weight seems to be slowly sliding off, cholesterol levels have gone from worrisome a year ago to astounding today, and that gnawing, always hungry feeling is gone.
And that you're enjoying delicious food and good health.

I hope that you'll stick around and keep posting.  We need your inspiration!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

minuet

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

Darkhorse my dear, can you elaborate a bit on what carbs you have cut out and what you still include?
[/size]

Magpie, I have eliminated basically all refined carbohydrates.  No sugars or flour products, potatoes, rice, breads, or cereals.  About once a week, I will have some dense whole grain bread, which seem to reset my energy, just not on a daily basis. When I am training for rowing, which strarts soon, and in the Winter, when skiing, I will have bread and fruit 2 or 3 times a week. I have reduced fruit to just berries and the occasional small apple.  Nuts are eaten extremely sparingly, as I early on identified them as a diet killer for me.  Meals are beef, poultry, lamb, pork chops, (don’t drain the fat any more) or fish with lots of mushrooms, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, squash, etc.-- anything low G.I. (no carrots or corn or beets).  It’s not exactly Atkins, so I do have gravy, cream sauces, full fat cheese, yogurt. This is my general pattern, but, truly, I am not a fanatic about this, and don’t make an issue of it when at someone’s house.

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »

Thanks for that Darkhorse.  It sounds like you are fairly disciplined about it - I honestly don't know if I could totally give up potatoes or corn but maybe just being more strict about how much and how often would work for me.  I've been trying to cut down on carbs but there's room for improvement.
Good to hear about your great results though!  :D

lilo

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »

Hi everybody,

I started with the oil a couple of weeks ago, an even I have lost a couple of pounds, I do not completely feel that is working for me, I mean, I am as hungry as ever, and craving for the same junk as always. It is great to hear that Darkhorse has achieved the goal and beyond that, but isn't her ? his loss due to the low carb diet that follows, or the oil helped not to feel cravings for some refined carbs?

minuet

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »

Quote from Magpie
Thanks for that Darkhorse.  It sounds like you are fairly disciplined about it
The thing is, Magpie, that with the appetite suppression from SLD, and the stabilization of insulin levels from the reduction in carbs, I just do not have much hunger any more.  So, really, it is not a matter of my being so disciplined at all.  In my low-fat, high carb days, now that’s where discipline was needed, and it was impossible to maintain.

When I first began trying this, as long as there were carbohydrates to elevate my insulin levels and keep me hungry, lit was like a roller-coaster.  It just took a while to settle down.

I started with the oil a couple of weeks ago, an even I have lost a couple of pounds, I do not completely feel that is working for me, I mean, I am as hungry as ever, and craving for the same junk as always. It is great to hear that Darkhorse has achieved the goal and beyond that, but isn't her ? his loss due to the low carb diet that follows, or the oil helped not to feel cravings for some refined carbs?
[/color][/size][/b]
Lilo, Welcome to the forums.  Both of the reasons you stated are correct.  I had found it very difficult to give up refined carbohydrates until I had the appetite suppression of the oil to help with the cravings.  This is exactly what SLD is for. Then, a sort of double-whammy happened, because carbs were no longer causing an insulin response, with its resulting hunger.  Also, I should mention that when I first started SLD, it took about a month for me to confirm appetite suppression, because I had previously lost some weight.  So, 2 weeks is not long at all.  SLD is not a quick fix, and of course we know those do not last.

Oh, and Karky and Heidi, thank you both for your kind replies.  I apologize for not responding sooner.

IndianGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

Darkhorse,

Congrats on your success. Its interesting to know that you eat lots of butter.
Could you share more about your butter experience? Thanks...

minuet

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:16 AM »

Congrats on your success. Its interesting to know that you eat lots of butter.
Could you share more about your butter experience? Thanks...
[/size][/b]
Hi IndianGirl,
I am trying not to write a long post that no one want to read, but will say that in my ongoing efforts to avoid processed foods, I stopped using margarine, even though I had only ever used the non-hydrogenated type.
I like the Weston A. Price Foundation website--not saying I agree with everything there--but Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD have some compelling articles:

[On margerine]These may not contain hydrogenated fats but they are composed of highly processed rancid vegetable oils, soy protein isolate and a host of additives.
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html 

We all know that darling butter has gotten a bad rap, so to speak, probably started by the now somewhat infamous researcher named Ancel Keys, who was the first to propose that saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet were to blame for coronary heart disease.

Numerous subsequent studies costing hundreds of millions of dollars, have failed to conclusively back up this claim.
http://www.bodyecology.com/07/07/05/benefits_of_real_butter.php

The notion that butter causes weight gain is a sad misconception. The short and medium chain fatty acids in butter are not stored in the adipose tissue, but are used for quick energy 

Hope all this does not seem too impersonal or clinical.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 03:36:11 AM »

but will say that in my ongoing efforts to avoid processed foods, I stopped using margarine, even though I had only ever used the non-hydrogenated type.

well, that makes two of us  :D

and please don't refrain from writing long posts, many want to read them, and those who don't can just skip them.

personally I'm interested in everything that relates to eating non or little processed foods.

BTW... Sincere congrats on your success  :D I'm very happy for you!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shovelqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 04:15:43 AM »

As a dietitian, I've used only butter at home for years, and I don't like recomending margerine, although that goes against the info coming from my professional association.  Of course, the margerine people are major producers of healthy eating resources, so there is a political and financial connection. 

I used to suggest instead a mix called "Better Butter", whipped lb softened butter and 1-1/2cups light tasteless oil.  Whip and store in fridge.  It's very soft, but solid when cold, and liquifies quickly if allowed to warm to room temp.  It could be used for frying, cooking, baking or spreading, unlike the "diet spreads" that have water added.  That was before the thinking changed re saturated fats. Nowadays, I would just say use butter, and good oils.  Avoid processed and trans fats totally, or as close to totally as you can manage.

And congrats, Darkhorse, on reaching your goal! :D :D  It's so inspiring to hear about successes like yours.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

lilo

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »

Thanks Darkhorse,

I am very excited about the diet-experiment, and I will definetely will wait more than 2 weeks. I live in Costa Rica, and the only oil that I have found that is in the list is the Canola oil, but also read in some blogs that is not so good. There are some other kinds of oil but I don't know if they would work. I may need to go to the store and write down all the kinds to see if anybody can advice on which is the best  :D. Definetely the ELOO is not easy to find.

Thanks!

IndianGirl

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »

Thanks for replying and the interesting link, Darkhorse.

norwaygirl

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

Darkhorse, congratulations on your weight loss---I'm finding this thread very interesting!

My body responds well to low carb diets like the one you're describing, and I'm a huge fan of Weston A Price, so I'm hoping to transition to an eating plan a lot like yours.

Could you talk about little bit about any logisitics you used to help you make the initial transition to that way of eating. Did you pack lunches? Did you meal plan? Did you just keep the right things in the house? Any tips you can share woudl be great!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18