Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pelkabo's observations

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelkabo's observations  (Read 32721 times)

pelkabo

Pelkabo's observations
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »

I started the diet on May 4, when I weighed 197 pounds. As of this morning, May 30, I have lost ten pounds. Although they (diet books, etc.) tell you not to weigh yourself every day, I collect and analyze data for a living, so there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to get this very personal dataset. I weigh myself every morning when I wake up. These data may be of interest to others, so I include them below. While I have been losing weight at the rate of about 0.4 pounds per day, there is a lot of day-to-day variation.

I started out drinking Canola oil in the morning and sugar water in the evening. After a while, I gave up the sugar water because drinking a lot of water in the evening made me wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I take two tablespoons of oil with a big glass of water. Without the water, the oil gives me an upset stomach.

My goal is to get to 175 pounds, which would put my BMI at about 24. Given my progress so far, that sould take another three weeks or so.

5/4/06   197.0
5/5/06   194.0
5/6/06   196.5
5/7/06   193.5
5/8/06   192.0
5/9/06   192.0
5/10/06  192.0
5/11/06  192.0
5/12/06  191.5
5/13/06  192.0
5/14/06  191.5
5/15/06  190.0
5/16/06  189.5
5/17/06 190.5
5/18/06 190.5
5/19/06 189.5
5/20/06 190.0
5/21/06 190.5
5/22/06 190.5
5/23/06 191.0
5/24/06 190.5
5/25/06 188.5
5/26/06 189.0
5/27/06 190.0
5/28/06 190.0
5/29/06 187.5
5/30/06 187.0

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
Re: Pelkabo's observations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »

Neat, you sound like Seth as far as recording data goes.

pelkabo

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 06:58:51 AM »

Here is a graph of my weight each day since I started SLD. I weigh myself every morning before breakfast. The dots are the measurements, and the red line is a non-parametric fit (using loess, for R geeks). In the middle portion, where the graph seems to flatten out, I was on a business trip and drank sugar water instead of canola oil. It didn't work out too well. Now I am back on the oil and the downward trend has resumed. But note the pattern: my weight seems to rise by a half a pound per day for four or five days, then drop three or four pounds in a single day. I don't know if this will happen to everyone, but my advice is, don't get discouraged if you see your weight going up a little bit from day to day. The long-term trend will be downward.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:55:23 AM »

Here is a graph of my weight each day since I started SLD. I weigh myself every morning before breakfast. The dots are the measurements, and the red line is a non-parametric fit (using loess, for R geeks). In the middle portion, where the graph seems to flatten out, I was on a business trip and drank sugar water instead of canola oil. It didn't work out too well. Now I am back on the oil and the downward trend has resumed. But note the pattern: my weight seems to rise by a half a pound per day for four or five days, then drop three or four pounds in a single day. I don't know if this will happen to everyone, but my advice is, don't get discouraged if you see your weight going up a little bit from day to day. The long-term trend will be downward.

That sort of trend happened to me after the first couple months or so.  I think it may belong in the faq as a topic.

It was strange when it first happened, then I got worried, but but the time I was really worried I realized I'd lost ten pounds.

wildnight

• JC's Shangri-La Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »

Very cool and interesting. Thanks for posting this. You might add it to the tracking data sub-form if you haven't already.

JC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.C.
http://jcshangri-la.blogspot.com/

pelkabo

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:12:10 AM »

This diet continues to amaze me. I am now down to 182 pounds, having lost 15 pounds so far in 43 days. I continue to drink 3 Tbsp of canola oil per day and eat whatever I want. The thing is, I don't want that much.

pelkabo

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 03:58:32 AM »

Here is the graph of my weight since May 4. Since last Sunday, my weight loss has been phenomenal, even a little scary. It's dropping like a stone. This is the effect of walking four miles a day, I think. See, I always walk two miles at lunch. But my wife -- who works elsewhere and can't ger out to walk on her lunch hour -- has decided she wants to take a walk around the subdivision every evening. So all this week I've been aking two two-mile walks. It just feels like too much.

wildnight

• JC's Shangri-La Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:16:20 AM »

Holy cow, pelkabo.  What is your schedule for taking the oil?  Have you tried other dieting before?

It would seem big congratulations are due soon. Only a few more lbs till you hit goal, over 20 lbs lost in two months. :)

JC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.C.

splitbamboo

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »

This is incredible results. We started on the same day and I have more to lose and have not lost anywhere near what you have lost. I am starting to get exercise in my day, so I am hoping that will help.

Good job on the loss!

pelkabo

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »

Holy cow, pelkabo.  What is your schedule for taking the oil?  Have you tried other dieting before?

It would seem big congratulations are due soon. Only a few more lbs till you hit goal, over 20 lbs lost in two months. :)

JC
To answer your questions, I take 2 Tbsp around 9:30 AM, with a big glass of water. Then I take another Tbsp around 3:00, again with a lot of water. If I don't wash it down with lots of water I get an upset stomach.

As for other diets: in January 2001, I weighed about 210 pounds. By being very strict with myself -- eating small portions, cutting out all between-meal snacks, joining a gym and going four times a week -- I lost 30 pounds in about six months. But it was hell on earth. I was hungry all the time. You know what I would do in my free time? Read cookbooks. Just to dream about what I was going to eat.

In any case, over time I gained a lot of the weight back, though fortunately I never again got above 200. But I was getting close! The trigger was the trip we made to see my wife's family this past April. Those Latin Americans love to eat. We went from one dinner party to another, and by the time I got back, my size 36 pants hardly fit me anymore. When I saw the scale hit 197, I knew I had to do something.

I had read an article by Seth Roberts years ago in Chance magazine (kind of like Reader's Digest for statisticians), but when I saw his book mentioned in the Freakinomics blog, I decided to order it and try the diet. It really has exceeded my expectations. The weight is melting off, and hunger has not been a problem at all.

I probably sound like one of those glassy-eyed shills on an infomercial, but it's the truth. The data are coming direct from my scale every morning.

Summer33

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »

Congrats on your weight loss...I found taking the oil with water is much much much more tolerable ( for me anyways)  keep up the good work!

wildnight

• JC's Shangri-La Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 04:26:55 AM »

You know what I would do in my free time? Read cookbooks. Just to dream about what I was going to eat.

Reading cookbooks -- that's a good one!  Thank God for SLD, that's all I can say.

Sounds like we're in similar circumstances; I got "scared straight" when I hit 210 also -- did Atkins to get down under 190, then bounced back up to 195 and thankfully found SLD. I'm down 10.5 lbs this morning, started May 14. I do at least 45 mins of treadmill six days a week. My -BMI- "normal" weight is 165, but 175 is probably more appropriate for my body type. So, you can see why your experience got my attention -- with its remarkable numerical similarities to my own situation. 

It's awesome that you have the skills and motiviation to create and post your graph. I think it reveals some important key points about SLD, such as the plateu-ing and the temporary bumps up. Always followed by more loss.  Your graph should be significant resource for people just started or on a plateau.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this.

JC
J.C.

pelkabo

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »

My -BMI- "normal" weight is 165, but 175 is probably more appropriate for my body type. So, you can see why your experience got my attention -- with its remarkable numerical similarities to my own situation. 

I am deeply suspicious of BMI. They say a "normal" BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. For my height, that means my normal weight is between 133 and 179 pounds. If I weighed 133 pounds I would look horrible, like a walking skeleton. For my own curiosity, I would like to see a man my age (40s) who is 5'11" tall and weighs only 133 pounds. I may be wrong, but I'll bet few people would say this looks "normal".

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 06:38:25 PM »

They say a "normal" BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9. For my height, that means my normal weight is between 133 and 179 pounds. If I weighed 133 pounds I would look horrible, like a walking skeleton. For my own curiosity, I would like to see a man my age (40s) who is 5'11" tall and weighs only 133 pounds. I may be wrong, but I'll bet few people would say this looks "normal".

Holy cow! Sure you did the math right? I'm a woman, 5'10", and my imaciated High School weight was 135. My adult weight for 20 years was 150, and that was pretty slim.

A man, with his extra bone and muscle mass? Yeah, 133 would look political prisoner thin.
Running weight tally:

pelkabo

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 02:57:44 AM »

Holy cow! Sure you did the math right? I'm a woman, 5'10", and my imaciated High School weight was 135. My adult weight for 20 years was 150, and that was pretty slim.

Yes, the math is correct. You can also find an on-line BMI calculator here: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/.

The BMI guidelines say I should weigh between 133 and 179. The middle of that range is 156 pounds. You say you were pretty slim at 150. I would look like death warmed over at 156. So even the midrange is too low.

Now, if the low end is too low, and the mean is too low, that suggests that the high end may be too low as well. In other words, maybe doctors (or whoever promotes these BMI standards) are holding people to unrealistic standards. A man my age and height who weighs 185 could be quite normal, and yet his doctor would be nagging him to lose weight.

This is why I am skeptical when I hear statistics like 66.5% of adults in the US are overweight or obese. They're using BMI to get this number.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18