Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
more science, amounts of oils consumed on other diets

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more science, amounts of oils consumed on other diets  (Read 3235 times)

louann

more science, amounts of oils consumed on other diets
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »

Hello Seth and experts,
I am very excited about this diet.  I have only been on it for 3 days, but do notice that my hunger is less and I'm thinking about food much less.  These may not be as pronounced as some others describe in the book, but I only have 10-15 pounds to lose.

One of the reasons I am very excited about this is that many of my loved ones are morbidly obese.  I described the diet to my mother and she was worried about me even though I told her I had searched the web looking for dangers of ingesting too much ELOO and found nothing.  I have some hunches on information that could strengthen the case I could make to folks, but don't have the facts.  I was wondering if someone on the blog could help:

1.  How much oil is consumed on a diet that consists of at least one large order of fast food french fries daily?  I'm guessing it's more than 2 tablespoons (my current daily ELOO intake) and it's deep fried!  Do you know for sure?  If this is true, it would be hard to complain about someone ingesting ELOO in an attempt to eat fewer french fries.

2.  One of the things that attracted me to the diet was the fact that Mediterranean folks eat a ton of olive oil and they are said to have one of the healthiest diets in the world.   It looks as if they throw down a tablespoon at a time to soak up with bread.  Do you know how much olive oil is consumed per day by the average Greek?

3.  I'm also wondering if Seth is looking into doing some more rigorous research on this.  Certainly, there are lots of folks out there willing to try it and participate in testing.  It seems that research is needed to gain the trust of more folks who really need this information.

Thanks!

shovelqueen

Re: more science, amounts of oils consumed on other diets
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

A healthy "moderate" diet, as recommended by the "establishment" usually is set up to contain ~30% of calories as fat.  If the average woman needs 1800-2100 cals for weight maintenance, then that would mean 60-70 grams of total fat per day.  The generalized education figures we use in Canada for "Healthy Heart Diet" type guidelines are 65g for women and 90g for men.

So,2 tbsp of any oil is about 28g, less than half of even the bottom of that range.  It's not that it's so much oil, it HOW you take it that makes for the SLD effect, specifically flavourless, and in a flavourless window of time.  Once your intake of all foods is lower because of the AS, it's not hard to make healthy choices for the rest of your calories. 

AND, it's a very healthy fat, not the kind of crap fat that you get in processed and deep fat fryer type foods.  Tell your mom to relax, or better yet, to try it herself.  (I'm a Registered Dietitian, btw, if that makes her feel any better.)

Welcome to the forum!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »

A McDonald's large order of fries is 30g of fat.  Add one of the big sandwiches, such as the Quarter Pounder, or the Big Mac, and you're adding another 25 - 30 grams of fat.  So one of these meals is more than twice what you'd get in the 2 T. ELOO you take on SLD.  And that doesn't even address the quality of the fat.  Tell your mom to relax.  Good luck!

T-Vix

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »

Yes, I am starting some more rigorous research on this. Stay tuned!

louann

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »

Great answers.  Thanks everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18