Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Crazy Tea

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy Tea  (Read 8038 times)

CatsGrin

Crazy Tea
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »

Hi all!

I was thinking this morning that a recipe of mine might work well for SLD. I've read about crazy spicing and realized I've been doing something similar. I switched to unflavored iced tea a while back, because of the research being done that showed health problems related to diet soda. I am a sucker for interesting sounding tea and so have tons of different kinds, more than I can drink one at a time (plus some I like more than others) ... so I make big pot of tea using random tea bags then put them it in the fridge. Each time I make a new batch it's very different than the last, and since a batch results in only a few glasses of tea I'm thinking it's unlikely that my body gets too used to the flavor before I make another. The flavor could probably get mixed up a bit more by adding random amounts of lemon or mint or other juices.

Begun: 4/11/2008

Elli

• Carpe diem :)
Re: Crazy Tea
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »

What a fascinating idea :D I love trying out differently flavored tea.

Because the flavor-calorie association is established only when the food actually
has calories, and a cup of tea being not a notable source of calories, I personally
don't think it will become a ditto food and raise your set point even if you drink
a same bland all the time.

On the other hand, if you like to drink your cuppa with your meal, that's a little
different story though. The calories that your meal contains will now cause the
flavor of the tea to be associated with energy, so it is possible to become a
ditto food I suppose. Upon many personal experiences of those in the forum
tells us that by simply having that same drink in between meals without any other
source of calories reinforces the body to forget or at least weaken the association
made during the previous meal, however. That's the whole science behind CCK!

But the shear idea of experimenting with mixture of tea flavors just excites me.
And after all, crazy tea might aid in weight loss as well since I know a lady who
always makes new blends with literally hundreds of different kinds of tea leaves
she owns and she is as thin as a toothpick.

Tell us how this goes and make sure to share any particularly good blend that
you come up with. I'll be watching 8)

falconcy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »

I managed to find some sachets of sugar free iced tea in loads of different flavors. Each sachet makes 1.5 ltrs so it is about the right amount to use an empty soda bottle. I currently keep a bottle of water shilling in the fridge and a bottle I use for making the tea in.

Price wise, this is way cheaper than buying the ready made iced teas and the sheer variety of flavors should stop the ditto effect.

Kirk

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »

I have been drinking hot black tea with milk every morning for 30 years or so with breakfast, where breakfast typically has been some form of eggs and cheese and perhaps toast.  Having started this SLD regime recently, I thought it wise to crazy-spice the breakfast.  Using different combinations of spice blends works well for eggs, but spice blends assembled by others does not work with tea.  Therefore, I have started to use my granite mortar/pestle to grind a combination of flavors to add to the tea every day.  (I use Upton Tea, typically an Assam, brewed loose-leaf).  I find that the green herbs (basil, oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, mint, etc.) overpower everything else, so I'm learning to use just a pinch of them.  The type of mortar and pestle I use is large heavy granite (this is the first link I found, I am not affiliated:  http://tinyurl.com/5jmvob ).  There's something deeply empowering about grinding your own spices in a heavy mortar.

The only problem is that I really miss the flavor of my morning tea.

IndianGirl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »

I was wondering why one would want to crazy-spice tea, since tea is a low calorie food. I am thinking while crazy spicing leads to erosion of flavor-calorie association (which is helpful for a high calorie food), crazy spicing TEA is not required (since no need to erode flavor-calorie association for low cal tea.)

Kirk

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »

In my case, it's because I drink tea with breakfast, which is high-calorie (eggs, cheese, sometimes toast). 

Although I admit to being uncertain about the impact of consuming, at the same time, a ditto flavor whilst consuming a crazy-spiced flavor.  Does this lead to one triumphing over the other, from the SLD perspective?  Having just started, I decided to take no chances.  Perhaps later, after I've lost many, many pounds, I'll start the experiments.

IndianGirl

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »

You may want to read http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4361.0
which is about drinking CFF with meals.

Kirk

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the link to CFF thread.  I had stumbled across the CFF thread several days ago (I'm only 3 weeks into SLD) and I'm still trying to understand that particular concept.  For right now, I'm experimenting with oil and SW, along with the Extra Credit of crazy spicing breakfast.  I seem to be making progress and am not wanting to introduce any more variations at this point in time.  Ten or fifteen pounds from now, or after a stall-out, I might be willing to experiment with CFF. 

Back to the original posting . . . of why somebody would want to Crazy Tea . . . it seems to be a variation of Crazy Spicing, presuming that the tea is taken with meals.  This would be under the theory that even minor flavor changes could have an impact, as is implied in Seth's book when he discusses home cooking. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18