Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What are your hobbies??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your hobbies??  (Read 59078 times)

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: What are your hobbies??
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

azuka, we have something in common!  I got married 17 years ago, too.  8)

My DD plays bass clarinet and I was positively AMAZED at the price of a new mouthpiece.  It was money well spent, though, as her playing improved immeasurably.
And let's not even discuss the cost of a new case... :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2008, 02:22:25 AM »

Hi Azuka.

its great that you can keep doing the things you like best. i expect that for most of us this it the case.  tell us about the scambusting sites please!!  they certainly deserve publicity!

shovelqueen

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 04:09:21 PM »

One of my hobbies is quilting.  I just got this one back today.  Only my second queen-sized quilt.  I had it machine quilted,otherwise we wouldn't be using it for years!!  I can't seem to get the image to the proper size, so please click on it for a better look.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

lvivianka

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »

that is beautiful. when I come back from vacation I will photograph some of my stuff and learn how to put into this forum. my daughter is trying to do quilts. she is a professional photographer.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »

shovelqueen, that quilt is very striking.  The color choices compliment each other very well.  8)

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

norwaygirl

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

Wow, Shovelqueen--it's beautiful! Very intricate! Did it take a long time?

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »

What a clever girl you are SQ!! What an achievement - looks like a lot of work went into the quilt!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:19 AM »

WOW

Shovelqueen!!  your quilt is beautiful!!  what patience and nimble fingers you must have!!!

years ago i used to sew my own clothes and oh!  what a bother!! not matter how carefully i copied the pattern and transferred it and cut and sewed... things would never match up precisely!!!  and i doooo so appreciate  the skill involved!!

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2008, 01:57:18 AM »

Beautiful quilt!! Reminds me of the moorish patterns of the wall tiles in south portugal and spain!!! You have those too in Malta nougat? you know, this kind (we call it azulejo mudejar):

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Maychi

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2008, 02:42:43 AM »

SQ, that's gorgeous and just what we need for our bed!!!! And my DD will be in Toronto this July, so how much do you want for it?  :D :D

shovelqueen

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2008, 02:58:17 AM »

Thanks all for your admiration.  I love sewing and have since a kid.  No longer bother with clothing, as I've been completely swept away by quilting. It is my creative outlet, but something that I only came to as I turned 40 or so.  I look forward to retirement when I can give it more time, but right now, I only get to it in "spurts". 

Pinkmug, thanks for posting that beautiful tile.  It is an inspiriing pattern.  My first thought on seeing it is that all that white surrounding the coloured bits would require alot of piecing of fabrics!  The colour swirls are great, though. 

Maychi, a made-in-Canada, handmade queen-sized quilt goes for $800-1000 here.  Not nearly a fair representation of the actual amount of time that goes into them, but all that the market will bear.  Most quilters use really good quality 100% cottons (why use cheap stuff for something that absorbs so much of your energy?) both front and back, and a cotton batting.  The retail market is full of Chinese orIndian knockoffs, made with cheap cotton and polyester batting and "hand-quilted" with great big messy stiches of cheap white cotton thread.  Really is rather sad to see these sold in "country decorating" boutiques.  Just my little rant.  I have sold a couple of smaller quilts, and my other queen-sized one, I made just for the love of the colours (couldn't use it myself without repainting my bedroom!), so I raffled it off to raise money for my last Guatemala trip.  I sold tickets and raised almost $2000 for the trip!

Maychi

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2008, 03:44:49 AM »

Maychi, a made-in-Canada, handmade queen-sized quilt goes for $800-1000 here.  Not nearly a fair representation of the actual amount of time that goes into them, but all that the market will bear.  Most quilters use really good quality 100% cottons (why use cheap stuff for something that absorbs so much of your energy?) both front and back, and a cotton batting.  The retail market is full of Chinese orIndian knockoffs, made with cheap cotton and polyester batting and "hand-quilted" with great big messy stiches of cheap white cotton thread.  Really is rather sad to see these sold in "country decorating" boutiques.  Just my little rant.  I have sold a couple of smaller quilts, and my other queen-sized one, I made just for the love of the colours (couldn't use it myself without repainting my bedroom!), so I raffled it off to raise money for my last Guatemala trip.  I sold tickets and raised almost $2000 for the trip!

I know they're very expensive - we did look at some when we were in Canada, but of course queen sized ones aren't very transportable on the plane. A friend of ours in England makes them but we don't often drive there anymore (we used to every summer but now with low cost airlines it's cheaper to fly, although we are driving again this year) and would have the same problem of having to cart it on the plane.

shovelqueen

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2008, 03:51:36 AM »

It weighs 6 1/2 lbs (I just checked) and would fill over 1/2 of a carry-on sized suitcase. 

My first trip to Guatemala, I filled a hockey bag with hand-woven fabrics.  Talk about heavy!!  Of course, when going there, I generally leave most of my clothes behind, plus bedding and towels and all the donated materials I brought, so I have lots of room for "souvenirs."

Maychi

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2008, 04:57:24 AM »

It weighs 6 1/2 lbs (I just checked) and would fill over 1/2 of a carry-on sized suitcase. 

My first trip to Guatemala, I filled a hockey bag with hand-woven fabrics.  Talk about heavy!!  Of course, when going there, I generally leave most of my clothes behind, plus bedding and towels and all the donated materials I brought, so I have lots of room for "souvenirs."

Oh, they always seem heavier to me.

Anyway, let me just use this opportunity to say how much I admire you for these trips to Guatemala. And $2000 is a very impressive amount!

f4000

• Full time idler
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

Wow.. you guys are really talented! Awesome painting, Nougat! I don't know how to paint. lol
Cool pictures, sweetzen! Love your drawing style.
Karky, you surely have the patience to cross stitch eh? I've been working on a cross stitch project for 1.5 year, and only finished like 7% of it. Looool. I guess I'm really impatient.
Shovelqueen, I love your quilt! It's really cool!

Me.. I love singing a lot. I enjoy taking pictures, and manipulating it. Not a professional photographer, though. Just a newbie. Some of the pictures I took.

I have deep interest in traditional cultures. I learn korean language when I feel like. Self teaching, though. And.. I watch hell lot of movies.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18