Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What are your hobbies??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your hobbies??  (Read 56097 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: What are your hobbies??
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2008, 02:11:36 AM »

I understand what you mean nougat! I go thru phases too! Right now my phase is read 3 pages and drop asleep!  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

sweetzen

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »

If I tried to bike during commercials, I'm afraid I would spill my wine.

LOL! You just need to drink it through one of those caps with the long straws attached...  :D

Seriously, though, I'd differentiate between habits and hobbies, when it comes to how I spend my time. To keep it simple, I count as "hobbies" anything that is done for the sake of learning or personal growth.

For instance, I like to walk on the Sunabe seawall at sunset, looking out over the East China Sea, which is simply wonderful. But that's a habit, not a hobby. I know how to walk, I know what a sunset looks like. I know what the waves sound like as they crash against the sea jacks. I enjoy this activity immensely (so long as the mosquitos leave me alone), but I don't actually engage in it in order to grow.

I think the same is true of most TV watching... but as a medium of communication it can assist in other hobbies. For instance, if astronomy were one of my hobbies, I might watch every show geared towards astronomy, and that would certainly be related to my hobby. But the hobby would have nothing to do with watching TV.

This isn't to say that all habits are bad, but just to draw a useful distinction. I probably enjoy a nice glass of wine as much as strongjen, but I know next to nothing about good wine. There are some people--for whom wine is a serious hobby--who would look down their noses at what I drink as so much swill. That's fine. I'll be the first to admit that they are right, and I am wrong. After all, it's their hobby, not mine.

I do the opposite, when it comes to coffee. People rave about Starbucks (for example), and I want to say, "How can you drink that burnt swill? It has completely lost its origin!" But that's because it's my hobby, not theirs.

For me, it all comes down to a single category: education. If I'm engaged in an activity to learn more about it (i.e., further my growth in that area), then it's a hobby. If it doesn't meet this simple criterion, it's a habit.

With this in mind, I'd revise my earlier list, and add "writing" to the list of hobbies, and remove "chess." In the past year, I've decided to stop studying chess, and simply play for fun. I enjoy it, and do it regularly, but it's strictly a habit now, not a hobby.
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

cmotsinger

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »

We have some talented people here! I like to paint dogs in pastels, historical sences in acrylics, and to do fiber arts like punchneedle embroidery.

CarolM

VeganKitten

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »

Lovely greyhound portrait  :)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »

I like both the painting and the needlework  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2008, 01:54:47 AM »

Yet more amazing artists!! Congrats Carol!
The dog looks a lot like my Kiko  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »

Gorgeous pastel  cmotsinger!!  and the needlcraft is lovely too!!!  show us more!!

sweetzen - again you are right - hobbies and pastimes - completely different - but for the sake of this thread its nice to know what our friends do when we have free time.  :)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:23 AM »

When I read about stongjen's hobby of jewelry, I was reminded me and my DD have been making beaded necklaces, I had forgotten all about it (had stopped for some months, but now we're back).
We do it for ourselves and as personalized gifts to her girl friends, cousins, etc.

Strongjen, I'd really like to see your jewelry, that's something very fascinating. Nothing like what I do (extremely easy stuff any 8-year-old can do).
I do appreciate the difficult stuff. If I had more time, I'd even like to learn!  :)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 03:10:25 AM »

Very nice stuff Pinkmug!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

cmotsinger

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »

Gorgeous pastel  cmotsinger!!  and the needlcraft is lovely too!!!  show us more!!

sweetzen - again you are right - hobbies and pastimes - completely different - but for the sake of this thread its nice to know what our friends do when we have free time.  :)

Thanks!
You can see all my hobbies at my website, www.carolmotsinger.com

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »

Very pretty beads Pinkmug!!! 
and its lovely that you can do it with your DD.   :)

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

Carol - just had  a look at your site!!  WOW!! a professional artist!!!

lovely paintings especially the greyhounds which are done so sympathetically.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »

Thanks, nougat, karky.... these make unexpensive gifts for Christmas and birthdays, and fun to make too. Yea, having activities together with kids is good, it prevents lots of bad stuff...

Carol, I absolutely love your dog paintings. All of them!
As an animal lover, I have to thank you for sharing all this beauty.
I love all the other works too. The historical paintings, wow! What a great illustrator!  :D

lvivianka

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »

fantastic art - the black shepherd dog looks just like my dayghter's dog.
  Pinkmug - love your beads.

azuka

• Eaton Rapids Junk Barn
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

Well.  My hobbies.   I don't really have time for them, life is a bit too chaotic.  But I decided years ago, that doing a few things I really enjoyed was too important to ignore.  So I let a few things slide.     

First off.  My life is no picnic.  17 years ago I married a fine young woman who had a 2 1/2 year old boy with cerebral palsy.   I didn't really know what I was getting into..... but as he grew older, some new problems developed... severe scoliosis as well.   In 2000 my poor wife became severely depressed.  Our life was chaos.  We eventually realized that it was crazy for both of us to attempt to work ful-time in professional supervisory roles with a son who had significant physical and health needs.   So in 2001 I quit to be a stay-at-home dad.   I did manage to escape my horrible high stress job.    Shortly after that... a couple weeks actually, my wife became disabled too. 

So.... more responsibility than I had counted on.

Just the same.  I do have hobbies.   I have been taking tennis classes for almost three years now.  I enjoy this greatly and all my worries and problems disappear twice a week when I'm out hitting the ball on the courts.   I'm just a schlub, but am totally in love with the sport.  Hoping that droping 50+ pounds will enable me to improve my performance. 

Also... I am a musician.  I play sax and clarinet.   I have been a member at one time and another of every community band or orchestra in the area.  Currently, I play lead alto sax and clarinet in a big band that meets weekly.  I play 2nd alto in a big band that only rehearses when we have a gig coming up.  And bari sax in a group that I run sporadically, just for fun.   i started out on clarinet in 1963.    Learned a bit of keyboard in 1972.... just enough to impress people who have never heard anyone good.   In 1989 I was hired for a pit orchestra job for Fiddler on the Roof.   To my surprise, they expected me to switch between clarinet and sax.   Not only did I not own a sax, but I had never played one.      A friend loaned me his, and I learned well enough on my own to hold my own for the musical.   Been playing sax ever since.

And.... I kind of fell into finding cool saxes and clarinets etc. at pawn shops, 2nd hand shops thrift stores, and garage sales.  I started taking them in to get fixed up and reselling on ebay or locally.   Gradually, to save money, I began doing my own repairs and now do rather extensive projects. 

I'm also a mouthpiece hog.  I can spend hours just going through and looking at what I have, cleaning them up, repairing, refacing, testing.   It is amazing how much there is to talk about with mouthpieces despite the fact that there are no moving parts.  Even more amazing is how valuable some are.....  I have seen certain special hard to find mouthpieces sell for prices beyond $2000 USD!

When I get someone at the house who asks about the various musical instruments lying about my family gets this urgent panicked look and caution the person, "Don't ask about the saxes!"  If they do anyway, my family takes this as a signal to run from the house, perhaps to go to the movies.

Well, perhaps an exaggeration.  I am also very fond of cardplaying.  Due to my wife's ongoing health troubles, we rarely have guests or go anywhere, but on her better days, we are able to play euchre together on yahoo.com and then it's almost like things are 'normal.'   One of the advantages is that things go quickly online, and she has a lot of short-term memory problems, so this does work better than if we were playing against folks in person.

There...  that's about it other than reading, an occasional movie on tv, and my fascination with the scambusting websites where they scam the scammers and make them look foolish.  Great fun.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18