Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What are your hobbies??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your hobbies??  (Read 56098 times)

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: What are your hobbies??
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »

WOW

just....

WOW

8)  8)  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »

Nougat! My chin would have fallen at your racoon painting had I not already seen your duck in the bucket!
You are very talented, you really should think of exploring your talent commercially!
What lovely ilustrations for children's books for example!!  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shovelqueen

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 04:01:33 AM »

Holy cow, Nougat!!  You just "whipped off" that painting in the last few days? :shock:  That is amazing!  And a wonderful picture!  You should offer your stuff for sale - you are talented, girl!!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:39 AM »

My mom and dad looked at your raccoon, nougat, and I am supposed to tell you how much they liked it.
Here it is 2 hours since I saw it this morning and I had to come look at it again myself.
  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »

Nougat - your paintings are absolutely beautiful!  You are one very talented lady!  Where did you learn to paint? Watercolour is one of the hardest mediums too - and you have great skill with it.

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »

I was married at 18, and my hobbies for the next 30 years were gardening, sewing, embroidery, any type of needlework comes very easily to me. I always said I was born in the wrong century. 100 years ago I would have been considered gifted. But now that I am in my fifties, and I have time and freedom, I guess I would have to say that my favorite hobby is motorcycle riding. My DH drives, and I ride, we belong to a riding club. I love the freedom, the fresh air, the friends we have made. Of course I have always loved gardening, and always will, but my Dh buying his first bike at 50 was one of the best things that we have done.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

sweetzen

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 02:08:16 PM »

Now there's something the teacher never said, and I wish my parents knew about that whan the teacher gave me a D!!!
Mmmm on the other hand I've always had chubby fingers... even when I weighed 50 kg.  :oops:

Unfortunately, art teachers and parents are probably the most to blame for the proliferation of the "talent myth." If you had difficulty reading or writing, they'd tell you that you needed more practice. But difficulty in art? "Oh, sorry you poor dear... you just lack talent." It certainly makes the art teacher's job easier, of course... because they only have to really teach a fraction of their students.

It's understandable, of course. The art teacher likes to feel "gifted" and thus "special" so they have a vested interest in the myth. If it all comes down to hard work, then the people who would otherwise have to practice also have a vested interest in the myth, because believing you have no talent means no more practice.

But there have been art instructors in recent decades who have thoroughly debunked the myth, among them Betty Edwards and Mona Brookes. They achieve comparable (and outstanding) results from all their students. This means one of two things: a) all of their students have been talented; or b) the idea that talent has anything to do with it is complete nonsense. Personally, I vote for "b."

Which is just a longwinded way of saying, "Pinkmug, your art teacher was wrong." :D
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 12:40:31 AM »

Thank you
Karky, Karky's parents, Pinkmug, Shovelqueen and Magpie.
you are all too kind.
i did use a little acrylic paint at the end cos it had become a bit too dark - so lets call it 'mixed media' :D

mpq - another talented lady in our midst!!  and a biker wow!!!

sweetzen
everyone can improve their art.  but you have to love it and want to.  also i do believe that there are grades of talent - some have a lot and others a little and all shades inbetween.  and i honestly believe that i am down at the bottom.  all you have to do is look at what others can paint and you have to admit that there are amazing artists.
but of course children (especially) should be encouraged and not discouraged!!  at the end of the day art is fun!!

sweetzen

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 01:54:49 AM »

also i do believe that there are grades of talent - some have a lot and others a little and all shades inbetween.  and i honestly believe that i am down at the bottom.  all you have to do is look at what others can paint and you have to admit that there are amazing artists.

I am simply attempting to correct an error on the part of Pinkmug's art teacher, because it's obvious that telling a child "you don't have the fine motor control needed to draw" is not only cruel, but probably an outright lie. It's an art teacher masquerading as an expert on the human nervous system, and that's ridiculous.

Imagine a "skill line" with a point far to the left labeled "beginner" and a point far to the right labeled "master." Talent is nothing more or less than the amount of time it takes someone to get from one end to the other. Of course, it might also predict how far to the right someone could move, but speculation on such matters almost always becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy (i.e., "whether or not you believe you can do something, you are right").

The concept is especially damaging to students, because it only encourages those who are already good at art, and even for them it encourages them to quit if it ever becomes difficult. Of course, it's damaging in any area of study ("I'm just not good at math!"), and the focus on "intelligence" in American schools is simply another way of saying "talent." But the bottom line is, hard work always beats talent (http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2006/020906/research.html), whether in the classroom or in front of the canvas.

Parents and teachers may think they're giving a kid a complement by saying, "Oh, how talented you are!" But any other kid within earshot hears, "Oh, how talented you are not!" This is why, in our house, we've stopped complimenting our daughter in this way. Instead of saying, "You're smart!" or "You're talented!" we say, "You really worked hard on that!" because (in my opinion) words like "talent" and "intelligence" do much more harm than good.

And I'd say that Pinkmug's former art teacher is an excellent example of this.
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »

I agree with you sweetzen.
encouragment always.

one800eatashoe

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »

Parents and teachers may think they're giving a kid a complement by saying, "Oh, how talented you are!" But any other kid within earshot hears, "Oh, how talented you are not!" This is why, in our house, we've stopped complimenting our daughter in this way. Instead of saying, "You're smart!" or "You're talented!" we say, "You really worked hard on that!" because (in my opinion) words like "talent" and "intelligence" do much more harm than good.

I completely agree. When I was young (kindergarten or so), I was always told I was smart, and once I got a bit older and I had to actually apply myself, and work hard for my grades, I would simply give up, and admit that I wasn't smart any longer. I was always told I was smart, while putting in little to no effort, so when the time came to actually put in effort, if my "smarts" couldn't carry me what would? I think it hindered my learning for about 3 years, because I stayed stubborn in my outlook..

sweetzen

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

I completely agree. When I was young (kindergarten or so), I was always told I was smart, and once I got a bit older and I had to actually apply myself, and work hard for my grades, I would simply give up, and admit that I wasn't smart any longer. I was always told I was smart, while putting in little to no effort, so when the time came to actually put in effort, if my "smarts" couldn't carry me what would? I think it hindered my learning for about 3 years, because I stayed stubborn in my outlook..

Very well put. Your experience mirrors my own.

Investigations into the differences between Asian and American students seems to reinforce this conclusion, as well (http://www.thejournal.com/articles/20742. Here's a quote:

Attributing our kids’ achievement to their natural ability buoys them...right up until the instant they don’t understand something, which they will then figure means they’re not smart—they simply don’t have the head for it. And they will quit. Stigler demonstrated this by giving an unsolvable math problem to a group of Asian students and a group of American students. While the American kids gave up once their initial attempts failed, the Asian kids plowed on so doggedly that Stigler had to end the experiment as a matter of decency.

It's pretty obvious that Pinkmug's art teacher was dead wrong. But just as eatashoe points out, even well-meaning adults who are attempting to be encouraging can be just as wrong. It isn't just "encouragement always" but it's the right kind of encouragement. I think the author of the article above hit the nail on the head with his title: "Don't Call My Kid Smart."

strongjen

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 01:43:17 PM »

It is such a shame when potential goes unrealized, but so much worse when you think of a child's feelings being hurt by a a clueless teacher!  I like to think that even the ones who screwed up didn't mean to, they just didn't realize what they were doing.  I try so hard with my own children to compliment them in ways that work, that encourage and boost them without injuring the sibling, but who knows what damage I am unknowingly doing.  (but as karky says, "why worry today, when i can worry tomorrow...why worry today...."

so, my hobbies are reading, gardening, watching tv,, and making jewelry.  I've debated sharing my website where I sell stuff, but I'm paranoid because, I just am!  If I can figure out how, I'll paste some pics over.  Unfortunately, like i think karky said when she was needlepointing for breadbaskets, when you start doing it for money it sort of loses the fun.  on the other hand, as a stay at home mom, there's nothing like a COMPLETED PROJECT that somebody PAYS for to boost your ego.  the endless cleaning and laundry and cooking, etc.--just don't engender the kind of praise that I need.  But when I can make a necklace, and someone says, "wow, that's beautiful, I want to buy that" and then especially if they come back and buy one for a friend, it's a wonderful feeling.  It's not even as important as the laundry and cooking and cleaning and just care and love, but it is still something different and wonderful.  I don't really make any money for the jewelry I make, just sort of cover expenses (and pay for a cleaning lady once a week!) but it's totally worth it for the compliments.  I love being a sahm, but it is really so nice to have something that 5 minutes after it's done, doesn't have to be done again.

1/7:148 lbs
exercise
2/6:144 lbs
exercise plus sld
4/4:133 lbs

sweetzen

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »

If I can figure out how, I'll paste some pics over.

If you already have the pictures up on another website, it's easy. You can just enter a link to the picture on your server:

http://www.yourwebsite.com/coolnecklace.jpg

Then highlight that line, and click on the "Insert Image" button in the toolbar.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

i second what you say strongjen!!!  being a sahm isn't as great as it sounds!!! :)
what did you write in a teeny font in your post??  i just can't see it!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18