Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What are your hobbies??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your hobbies??  (Read 59077 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: What are your hobbies??
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »

It's so nice to know about your hobbies!!!
I love your paintings nougat and sweetzen. and I know how difficult watercolors are!
I also loved Karky's crossed stitch works!!
Before being a working mom of 2 I had hobbies! Like, 500 years ago!
I knitted several jumpers, for the family. I like sewing, knitting, I have a mom who was a true Artist in those fields and also crochet and embroidery. That came from her mom, a seamstress, and her dad, a tailor.
One day I'll photograph some of my mom's amazing works.
But I haven't inherited her talent - I seem to have problems with fine (motricity? motion?). Too small moves aren't my thing and frankly I like to see the piece grow. So I knitted, yes, but with thick needles  :lol:
I also liked drawing and painting but no talent here, in spite of having a cousin painter. I did love pottery, and once I had a group of friends who had a pottery oven and I did some works in clay - and sold them  :lol:
But my absolute fave hobby which I had to give up, was something very different! Amateur astronomy!!
That's the hobby I miss the most.
I always loved writing too. I have an uncle writer (the painter's father BTW).
Most my family are very much into gambling, all kinds - chess, dominoes, cards - I never had much patience for that. Not even computer games.
My kids took horse riding classes I could have too but much as I love horses (inlaws have 2) I wasn't in the mood!  :D
Nowadays I take pics, filming, and as possible I read and watch movies.  And listen to music. Go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. That's all! And this forum of course  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

sweetzen

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 05:17:07 AM »

I seem to have problems with fine (motricity? motion?). Too small moves aren't my thing and frankly I like to see the piece grow. So I knitted, yes, but with thick needles  :lol:

For me, it's called "getting older."  :wink:

I find that the older I get, the longer my arms need to be in order to draw. Pretty soon I'll have to strap sticks onto my arms and draw from across the room... (sigh)
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 05:47:08 AM »

I have that problem too, and boy,  is it hard to grasp a needle with a stick.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Luckily they make giant magnifying glasses that have a strap to go around your neck so it balances on your chest and is between me and the needlework.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:20 AM »

Ah, no, I always had that problem. That one, I can't blame on aging...  :D I was young (20-30) when I knitted. And my drawing teacher at school told me about the fine motricity problem, as I always made a mess, especially with China ink (I wonder if that's what you call it)...  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 06:51:05 AM »

I had trouble ink drawing in High School.  I am left handed and it always smears on my arm.  :shock:

shovelqueen

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 06:51:30 AM »

Dollar store reading glasses.  I had to resort to them last summer when hand quilting.  Now that I've had my contact lenses undercorrected (I'm nearsighted, since childhood), my near vision is better again, and I don't need them to quilt or read.  but the time is coming... :(  Blast this getting older!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:25 AM »

yeah, getting older sucks! I'm sure there is some beauty in it, I just didn't find it yet  :D
anyway it's part of life... at least we're alive!!

BTW my mom has a good Singer electric sewing machine, she can't use it any longer, for sight and neuromotor problems (talk about age... but she's 84) so she has been telling me to take the machine to my house.
I don't know how it works.... well I would learn... but I don't have much room... I have a portable one, one of those very cheap ones from the chinese store, but there's some problem with it and I can't fix it.

So one of these days I might get a new machine... what a waste, all I do is hems. I need a course in sewing :D  Anyone knows if there's online FREE sewing courses?  :D

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »

I had trouble ink drawing in High School.  I am left handed and it always smears on my arm.  :shock:

I got ink everywhere. Nose, clothes, books... a disgrace. Even righthanded.  I've always been quite clumsy!  :(

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »

At my previous job I was a sew trainer.... :)

We made car seat parts, like headrests, etc, and also some bullet proof vest kevlar carriers for NYPD.  And some NYPD detectives just like Law & Order  8)
I have sewed Cadillac SRT headrests, Suburban seats, Hyundai Sonata map pockets, a GM van seats (the one that looks like a dustbuster), Chrysler Town & Country seats, Mazda 626 seats, Chevy Impala headrests, and some Buick I can't remember.  Plus some.  :lol:  Industrial sewing is a little different than home sewing though.

I got my sewing machine, 2nd hand, for my 12 birthday.  I guess my parent's got their money's worth.

I got ink everywhere. Nose, clothes, books... a disgrace. Even righthanded.  I've always been quite clumsy!
One time I was chewing on a pen in class and it exploded in my mouth.  Blue teeth for a week!  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »

WOW - I'm impressed, karky!!!
It's wonderful when you actually know some craft, or you can actually make things. it's something very precious (ditto what sweetzen had said above).
i envy such people! You're always safe, money-wise. There will always be people who will need your skills.
In this age of unemployment in my country, many women who were laid-out from textile factories have resorted to doing sewing odd jobs, and they make some money. Better than nothing!
The last major project I did was some 15 years ago, chintz curtains - I bought the fabric, cut and hemmed. I even made pencil headings, which nobody uses any longer. Then, I used more of the same chintz to make couch slip covers! Hmmm I wonder where I found the time for all that? My daughter wasn't born yet, maybe that's it...

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »

And Karky, you were the inventor of Bluetooth!?!?  :D

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »

And Karky, you were the inventor of Bluetooth!?!?  :D
Now those are some royalties I wouldn't turn down  :lol:  :lol:  boy that ink sure was vile tasting too.  I was 13 and now can still remember how bad that tasted.

As to the sewing, I don't know much about home sewing, at work we mostly made leather stuff for cars.
but I can usually figure out how to fix whatever my home machine is doing to act up. bad tension and such.
and I have learned I can't name call it where it can hear me, or it acts up worse!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

sweetzen

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

Ah, no, I always had that problem. That one, I can't blame on aging...  :D I was young (20-30) when I knitted. And my drawing teacher at school told me about the fine motricity problem, as I always made a mess, especially with China ink (I wonder if that's what you call it)...  :D

Sounds like your drawing teacher was impatient. The fingers only need to move for the fine details. All other drawing can come from the elbow and shoulder. If you can reach for something and pick it up, you have all the motor control it takes to draw.  :D
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »

Sounds like your drawing teacher was impatient. The fingers only need to move for the fine details. All other drawing can come from the elbow and shoulder. If you can reach for something and pick it up, you have all the motor control it takes to draw. :D

Now there's something the teacher never said, and I wish my parents knew about that whan the teacher gave me a D!!!
Mmmm on the other hand I've always had chubby fingers... even when I weighed 50 kg.  :oops:

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »

WOW

i always knew you were an interesting lot!!  and so talented too!!!

karky here is my pic of your racoon.  it didn't turn out too bad !

[/img]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18