Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What are your hobbies??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your hobbies??  (Read 59345 times)

nougat

• Malta EU
What are your hobbies??
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »

What do you like to do in your free time??
if you paint, do crafts, sing,  dance, play sports - what ever - why don't you paste a pic or a link here??

i like to paint.  here's a pic of one of my paintings.

[/img]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:33:28 PM by nougat »

one800eatashoe

Re: What are your hobbies??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

What a pretty duck!

Hobbies? Free time?

I have a 2 year old, and I work full time, so I don't really have a hobby, other than playing with my little man, and surfing the web. I'm boring  :)

sweetzen

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »

I've played chess ever since I was eight years old, and still play every week. I enjoy anachronistic pleasures, and only play with actual pieces, not on the computer.

I've been roasting my own coffee at home for six years or so. It's cheap, and oh so delicious.

I've recently gotten into DE (old gillette style double-edged razor) shaving. Badger hair brush, soap in a mug, the works. Very enjoyable.

While I'm not very good at it, learning Japanese is my present at-home study project. I'm tired of being a baka gaijin.

Since I'm not selling at the moment, I could consider my art a hobby, but I treat it like a profession. Here are a couple of samples:

From 2005:

From 2007:

I don't have any pictures of my current work, which is somewhat different.
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »

Nougat
I though you said you were an amateur.  That painting is really good.  Watercolors right?  I  especially like how you presented the shadows and light.

I like to take photographs and I like to cross stitch once in a while.  Mostly I read all kinds of books in my spare time.
I have more cross stitch than this, but they are too big for the scanner  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »

one800eatashoe!

i know what its like to have little kids.  but believe it or not they doooo grow up!!! :D

sweetzen
What a lot of different things you like to do!!  my dad, both my siblings and both my sons to a degree like and play chess.  but not me!!  i just can't think beyond my next move!! :oops:
learning japanese!! wow!!  one of my boys watches japanese anime online and says that he has started to understand some phrases!!  (pity they don't apply themselves in the same way for the languages they have/had at school) :)
you paintings are very interesting and attractive - how great that you can sell them!

karky

lovely cross stitch!!  why don't you take photos of you larger pieces!!!  as you know i think your photos are really gorgeous!!
I also love to read. 
glad you like my duck - yes watercolour tho not all my paintings are as successful as this one. :)
it is one of my faves!!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »

Just for Nougat I went and took some pictures of the ones hanging on my walls.  8)
Although you wouldn't know it from looking at what I have posted, I have done some that aren't samplers, only problem is, I gave them away.  8)

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:39:31 AM »

WOW karky these are really beautiful!!  and the flower fairies look like a painting!!!WOW!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:06 AM »

Thank you Nougat.
I must admit, that the flower fairies are from a kit, while the other ones are counted cross stitch.
The diiference being with counted cross stitch you start with blank fabric, and that particular kit had a pre printed picture on it that I cross stitched over top of.
I like it because it reminds me of my girls.  They are 6 years apart, and the older one has very dark hair, and at the time the younger one had light hair.

sweetzen

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:19:32 AM »

sweetzen
What a lot of different things you like to do!!

Thanks, but actually this is the "short list." I didn't include the hobbies I don't practice on at least a weekly basis.  :D
"My life is an illuminating, unfolding narrative... written on a daily basis by the words I am forced to eat." --S.A.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »

karky - The fairies are sooo pretty - and you girlies must be delightful!!!
my boys are 10 years apart.  eldest had fair hair (now light brown) and youngest has dark.  i have a picture somewhere of fairies ( :)) that reminded me of them.  if i find it i will post it.

the samplers are super!  they look as if they were made from ready printed kits too - they are perfect!!

sweetgen - wow!! you keep yourself busy!!  over the years i've tried my hand at lots of things but painting seems to have been there all my life - it has withstood the years and i still love it!!  i also like  to read.

sweetzen

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

sweetgen - wow!! you keep yourself busy!!  over the years i've tried my hand at lots of things but painting seems to have been there all my life - it has withstood the years and i still love it!!  i also like  to read.

You can't go wrong with drawing/painting, eh?  :wink:

I think several factors contribute to our "hobbyless" society:  First, the fact that fewer and fewer people are paid a "livable wage," which means many people are working two or more jobs just to stay afloat. Second, rising levels of debt (which is most definitely related to reason number one). Third, the impact of television, which even in small doses (an hour a day) replaces the time that would have been spent on other interests. Fourth, computers, which may even be worse than television, in this regard. Fifth, the near complete death of "folk" culture (and it's replacement with "mass mediated" culture). And lastly (in the U.S., at least), valuing activities based solely upon their ability to make money (the question, "what am I ever going to do with this?").

It's a shame, really, because if you look at your watercolors or karky's cross stitched images, their value (the way they enrich your life) is plain as day.  :D

shovelqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »

You are so right about our loss of the concept of "hobbies".  I live in a TV free home, at least for me.  I have watched 2 hours of TV so far this year, and only because the show was about EFT, and I happened to catch a commercial while passing through the family room while my son had it on.  I create quilts, a creative endevour which I love. I've always been a sewer, but the quilting allows me to express a creativity that I never knew I had.  I only started when I was 40 - before that I knitted, mainly.  When I have time to figure it out, I'll post some pictures.

Other hobbies and interests include running, reading, volunteering with Special Olympics, and several roles within my church (adult church school teacher, financial officer, and part of the pastorate team).  All that, in addition to motherhood, keeps me very busy.

I can't figure out where people put the time for TV in their lives - I'm too busy! And, I'm guilty of spending too much time on these forums! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

At one time, I cross stitched bread cloths for the baskets my grandma was making and selling.
Took all the fun out of it for sure.
Then the embroidery turned into a chore I had to do. :shock:

Now the basket making always looked fun.  But a little expensive.  So I never tried it.  But I did talk my grandma into giving me a bunch of her baskets.  8)  She would say Oh you don't want that one, this and that is wrong with it.   :lol: I said quit pointing out mistakes, I like it in spite of them.  :lol:  :lol:

Shovelqueen, I like to quilt but it makes my hands fall asleep.  I think I must have a touch of carpal tunnel from the years I spent as an industrial seamstress.
I would love to see some pictures of your quilts.

sweetzen

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »

I can't figure out where people put the time for TV in their lives - I'm too busy! And, I'm guilty of spending too much time on these forums! :D

Indeed! We turned off our TV for good in 1998, and it has improved our lives dramatically. For one thing, life is calmer, because the entire content of all TV news is, "The sky is falling!" We can live without that. But it's also given us hours that we will never give back. And I don't even surf the web anymore. The few sites whose content I enjoy are in my feed reader. I check it for updates, skim it for good content, then close it. Usually takes less than five minutes. Once I get running with SLD, I will probably not even check back here, except to post updates on my progress.

I recently had the opportunity to watch a friend as he found a new hobby. It was fascinating:

A friend here recently brought me 100g or so of coffee he bought out in town (and the Japanese love good coffee--it is everywhere). I reciprocated by giving him about the same amount of a roast I had done a few days earlier. Later, we were talking and he mentioned it. He asked me, "How did you like that coffee?" "It was good," I said, "but the stuff I gave you was better." We talked a bit more, and I told him that anyone can spend 30 minutes a week and roast their own coffee that puts Starbucks to shame. He said, "You can make coffee that's better than Starbucks (where did we get the idea that big corporations make a superior product)?" I said, "Absolutely."

A week later, he called to tell me that he had just ordered some green coffee beans (from a site I recommended to him). Of course, I volunteered to teach him how to roast. His response was hilarious, "No way. I'm a lazy American. I just want to buy the beans. Can't you roast them for me?" I told him that I was one of those "teach a person to fish" kind of people. Anyway, he started researching it on the Internet, and got connected with the "home roasting" sub-culture of coffee lovers. The next thing I know, he's re-wired his wife's bread machine, bought a heat gun, and is roasting the best coffee he's ever had... right on his patio.

What's been really interesting for me to watch is his transformation from a "buyer" into a "maker." With urbanization, the first thought most people have when they encounter a problem is, "What can I buy that will fix that?" But there's a minority group (just like that guy who invented the shovelglove) whose first thought is, "What can I make (or do) that will fix that?" At first, my friend just wanted to buy his way out of the problem (and have me do all the work), but once he got a taste of being a "maker" he was hooked. Now he roasts much more than I do.  :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:20:53 PM by sweetzen »

lvivianka

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »

as a retired librarian, I still read a lot. my real hobbies are counted cross stitch, ceramics and painting. once I take some photos, will post. I recently bought a scanner and have been scanning slides/negatives into the computer - what fun to see older photos appear online; I can send them to friends and relatives all over the world. I have been collecting stamps since I was a kid and have my father's old European stamps.
   I can just smell the wonderful aroma of good, roasted coffee :shock:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18