Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
butter is better?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: butter is better?  (Read 49263 times)

bloo

Re: butter is better?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »

BTW, I've mixed raw egg yolks with cream too and I love it! You know you can actually make an almost zero carb ice cream with that? Just add a little stevia and something else and freeze it and you got some...I have a recipie somewhere if you're interested. I don't make that stuff though because I know it wouldn't last more than 1 day LOL

*yummy* sounds great, please post the recipe. Ive been thinking about buying an ice cream machine since last year. The way I do my lowcarb ice cream at the moment: take some frozen berries, mix them with cream, some stevia and an egg yolk, the texture is wonderful and its tasty.
5 ft. 5, 139 lbs. Goal weight: 136 lbs.

platinum107

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

BTW, I've mixed raw egg yolks with cream too and I love it! You know you can actually make an almost zero carb ice cream with that? Just add a little stevia and something else and freeze it and you got some...I have a recipie somewhere if you're interested. I don't make that stuff though because I know it wouldn't last more than 1 day LOL

*yummy* sounds great, please post the recipe. Ive been thinking about buying an ice cream machine since last year. The way I do my lowcarb ice cream at the moment: take some frozen berries, mix them with cream, some stevia and an egg yolk, the texture is wonderful and its tasty.

Here it is, I got it off another website but never actually made it (I will one of these days though so if you try it let me know)

"Classic Vanilla Ice cream"

2 eggs, preferably organic.
60ml cream
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
Sweetener to taste

Separate the eggs, whisk the white till fluffy. Use a big bowl.
Whip the cream until it is thick.
Whisk the egg yolks, vanilla and sweetener until creamy.
Fold the egg yolks and cream into the egg white.
Divide into four containers and freeze.

Protein 14g, fat 32g, carbs 3g, Cals 366

You can probably add things like berries to this too (I don't eat fruit though)
Also, I've seen recipies where you can make chocolate ice cream using some 100% cocoa in there (unsweetened for less carbs) or some low carb chocolate protein powder

EDIT: the protein powder usually have sweetener in it too (designer whey is my fav - it uses stevia) and they make strawberry flavor too, so if you use that you probably don't have to use much more added sweetener plus there is extra flavor in it.

bloo

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »

Thanks for the recipe Ill try it soon when the weather gets warmer.

I use whey protein in different flavors myself, but no variety using stevia is available out here. So Ill go with the cocoa powder and add some stevia myself.
Argh, this is going to be a treat. Calories, here I come  :lol:
5 ft. 5, 139 lbs. Goal weight: 136 lbs.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »

I've been curious about this topic, is anyone using butter anymore?  What were your experiences?

I have been doing coconut oil for a few weeks now and while I've only has occasional bouts of nausea (as opposed to when I was on ELOO and wanted to throw up daily), I am still debating whether or not I should just try something else.  I mix my coconut oil and heavy cream together (which I find helps with the nausea and is much more pleasant than just plain coconut oil while noseclipped), so I am already having a dairy based flavorless calorie.

Beekay

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2009, 06:55:44 AM »

I started SLD on January 25th, mainly using Canola oil, then Coconut. Very rarely I did the sugar water when I just couldn't take the idea of more oil. The last week I have hit upon the concotion I feel I can live with the rest of my life:

butter and confectioners sugar. :lol:

I take 2 T of butter out of the fridge in the morning. By afternoon it is soft and I mix it with an equal part of confectioners sugar and cream together. So it's a frosting. I got this idea on one of these threads that talked about using coconut oil and sugar for a frosting. But I didn't like that so much.

Sometimes I add cocoa powder so it's a chocolate frosting. Both versions give me the same AS. I have AS all day long, not just after taking the concotion.  ( I do eat it during the 2 hour flavorless window.)

shovelqueen

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »

And you eat it in a way that you don't taste it?  It sounds divine! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Oslo

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »

Hi Beekay, and are you losing weight? 
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21. Down from 23+.

Heidi 555

« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »

Hi Beekay welcome and thanks for your post. I did oil and confectioners sugar when I first started SLD. I've also done a chocolate frosting made with coconut oil (and also had heavy cream with maple syrup) when I'm in the throes of PMS. Keep us posted as to your progress and results. You're forging into new territory so your feedback and results are especially helpful.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »

Wow. Thats great about the AS with this method. Will you let us know if you lose some weight too? Besides the 2 hour window are you noseclipping or bubble nosing etc...?

Thx in advance. :)
Have arrived at the new Normal.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2009, 03:36:31 AM »

I ate half a T of butter and half a T of vegetal margarine, both were yucky to swallow. Butter worse than margarine. OK I'm gonna try it with sugar!!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 07:07:21 AM »

One night when I was still doing CO, I tried CO + confectioner's sugar and thought it was the most vile concoction I ever ate lol!  I have a feeling that I would get no AS on butter + confectioner's sugar though, but I'm glad to hear it works for someone out there! 

Jean-Claude

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

Hi guys

Just wanted to add a few things. I came across the info concerning butter from http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7626.0 and started to look into it. I found the blog post at http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2010/05/22/butter-new-antidepressant/ and have left a reply, but it's waiting approval.

Anyhow, after looking into it, it seems that butter (not oil spreads like margarine), contain the following:
  • Vitamins A, E, D and K
  • Minerals like Selinium and Iodine
  • Of course the Omegas 3 and 6
  • Etc...

So I am of the mindset right now that butter, if we could find a flavourless method of taking it (going to give the melting / nose clipping a try), could be more beneficial as it not only could give one's brain a decent boost with the omega content but also contains iodine and vitamin A needed by one's thyroid which may be very beneficial for weight health. At least, it's an extra whammy.

I have found over the past couple of days, to confirm Seth's report, that I definitely feel happier and laugh easier than I did before taking it. I have been doing a teaspoon to 1 tablespoon at least once a day. Come to think of it, I have been a bit more steady on the meals too, but it's all a little to early to make majour assumptions, so I am going to keep trying for a while and see how it works out.

As I posted on Seth's blog entry, I found an interesting way of taking it though; melt 1 tablespoon into a cup of black tea. I add a tiny amount of creamer for colour, but the tea is absolutely delicious. Is richer and creamier and easy to drink. I put it to the wife test and she enjoyed it! I tried this after I read about "butter-tea" made by the Tibetans.

Some other apparent health benefits to butter, include, but are not limited to:

• Butyric Acid (Colon energy source and anti-carcinogen).
  • Lauric Acid (antimicrobial and anti-fungal).
  • Conjugated linoleic acid (Apparent protectant against cancers).
  • Glycospingolipids (Apparently protect against gastrointestinal infections).

Some more info on butter: http://chetday.com/healthybutter.htm

Anyway, hope this can be beneficial to us.
JC

P.S. Irish butter sounds wonderful btw.

feykin

• My Blog
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »

I tried SLD several years ago (2006) with sugar water and unfortunately, that did horrible things to my blood sugar. I tried switching to olive oil but that made me sick. I wasn't hungry but I felt nauseated all day and it was intolerable. To this day, I still can't even cook with the stuff without gagging. Discouraged, I wandered off to try other diets. Earlier this week, I was bored at work and poked my head into the forums here. I found this thread on butter. So I said, hey, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

I nose clipped and drank 400 calories worth of melted butter plus a couple sips of seltzer water to clear my mouth out. I had pretty much instant appetite suppression but I don't feel queasy.

After a round of the HCG diet over the summer (30 pounds down and not returning), I'm in the habit of daily weighing. I expect that the weights will fluctuate some but my morning weights from the last few days are interesting all the same. After sitting at 194-196 for the last 10 weeks, my weight is going down again.

10/26/10 194.4 pounds
10/27/10 194.6 pounds
10/28/10 193.6 pounds
10/29/10 192.2 pounds

Is anyone else still using butter as their SLD calories? How is it going?

~Elena~
SLD start 10/26/10

babyhopes

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2010, 04:23:48 AM »

I just reread these posts recently and decided to try it for myself since I have problems with depression, low energy, chronic fatigue, sticking to sld with eloo or sugar water and am trying to improve fertility, not to mention needing to lose a lot of weight and control my crazy appetite.

I decided to first try from user Beekay (we never heard back if he or she was noseclipping-so I will try it without today)  melting butter and having equal amounts of confectioner sugar without nose clipping- since, the best AS I have ever had came with crazy spicing experiments-I didnt add any crazy spicing today but may tomorrow-if it doesn't go well, then I will try it noseclipped. I am using the two hour window. **note- I also take 500mg of glucophage before 3 meals for my hormones and weight loss-so I took it before this to help with the insulin spike from the conf. sugar and AS-not recommending for people unless doctor advises but it has helped me a lot-but I do wish I didn't need to take it.

I intend to try the Tibetan butter tea as well.

My weight for today is 83 kilos-up a bit after intense fertility treatment and TOM-but will go with that number to start.

babyhopes

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »

I am not losing any weight yet but not going up either, I think I still have to wait for the hormonal reactions to slow down to see.

Here's what I have tried and each seems to give AS-

1-melted butter with confectioners sugar by itself during a 2 hour flavorless window

2-tibetan butter tea by itself with a two hour window

3-drinking the butter tea three times a day- twice by itself and once paired with food

4-chai spicing the butter tea to work up to crazy spicing

5-drinking eloo and butter in water together noseclipped

yes, yes I know lots of variations in a short period but I am being impatient these days lol

the butter is the raw kind the comes from making buttermilk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18