Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
butter is better?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: butter is better?  (Read 49262 times)

SandyDown

Re: butter is better?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »

Vegankitten - great drawing and way to ease the tension.

I just want to say that I really appreciate the full range of points of view on this forum. I feel like something would be missing without the variety of differences. Thank you to all vegans and carnivores. I hope you all respectfully hang in here.

Agreed, I so appreciate the various range of views :) thanks Heidi

SandyDown

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »

Plat, I came across active no carber forum a few days ago, just joined them :)

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

Vegankitten...ha ha haaa...good one!!! psstttt.....I am vegetarian (and love cats)

psstttt.........IndianGirl!  I hate to tell you, but cats are ...........  MEAT!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, OK, before anyone gets upset, it was just a joke!  I have three of the furry critters that get more priviledges at our house than the human occupants. 

Trying to lighten the moment,

T-Vix

platinum107

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »

Indiangirl - thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up :)

sixtieslibber - thats a interesting link! Maybe it has something to do with what I have...never knew h.pylori loved glucose, but i guess that makes sense to me, kind of like how candida yeast love glucose too (which I also have and been trying to get rid of for months...). That explains the flare ups I get when I eat carbs.

also...protein seems to raise blood glucose as well, about 58% of excess protein is converted to sugar by the body (especially in a lack of carbs) thats why it has to be a high fat, moderate protein, zero carb diet for best glucose control. With no excess protein, the blood sugar will be stable and not experiencing highs and lows while the body runs on fat for its main source of fuel. So I've been trying to get my diet to fall in the 75-80% fat range and 20-25% protein range.

EDIT: Sandydown- so far butter seems to be working pretty good. I was hardly hungry today and its not like i ate a lot yesterday (thats usually the reason I'm not hungry if I ate a lot the day before). I also nose clip some of my meals too (chicken thighs are easy to do that with since they don't have a strong taste) so that may also be a factor. Yesterday I had a piece of steak for dinner noseclipped and I really appreciated the texture and everything, and was fine with eating it that way.  :lol:

I think carnivore + SLD may just be the best appetite suppressing diet

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

psstttt.........IndianGirl! I hate to tell you, but cats are ........... MEAT!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

bloo

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:09 AM »

On a very lowcarb diet, one almost forgets, what hunger is. You feel like eating something, but could very well wait another hour.
But some people feel terrible when they eat meat ... so it is not for everyone, I guess.

I have been thinking about trying butter as my SLD calories, hehe. At the moment Im trying cream and it is effective, too.
Platinum, can you tolerate cream?
5 ft. 5, 139 lbs. Goal weight: 136 lbs.

platinum107

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »

On a very lowcarb diet, one almost forgets, what hunger is. You feel like eating something, but could very well wait another hour.
But some people feel terrible when they eat meat ... so it is not for everyone, I guess.

I have been thinking about trying butter as my SLD calories, hehe. At the moment Im trying cream and it is effective, too.
Platinum, can you tolerate cream?

I wish I could, but the cream still has some casein (the amount I would be taking) in it and so it bothers me, same with cream cheese. Both feel really acidic to me with I eat them and my gastritis usually flares up 2-3 hours afterwards.

So far butter is working out pretty good. I'm using salted organic. I imagine unsalted would be better but the unsalted organic butter at the store has citric acid added to it and I've read that could interfere with staying in ketosis, which I wouldn't want.

bloo

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

Have been exaggerating with cream today, so I will use butter instead in the days to come.
I wonder if "buttery" is a taste or if I can use a table spoon of butter to replace the oil for a while.
Hmmm, will try it tomorrow. Yummy, I love fat. But Ive always cycled oils for SLD.
I want to get my omega3s in the right ration, though.

Does anyone know if butter contains omega3s?

platinum107

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

Have been exaggerating with cream today, so I will use butter instead in the days to come.
I wonder if "buttery" is a taste or if I can use a table spoon of butter to replace the oil for a while.
Hmmm, will try it tomorrow. Yummy, I love fat. But Ive always cycled oils for SLD.
I want to get my omega3s in the right ration, though.

Does anyone know if butter contains omega3s?

I nose clip my butter and melt it, so theres no buttery taste  :D

Also, yeah, I have read that organic butter actually has close to a perfect omega6:3 ratio, so if that is your primary fat then you shouldnt need extra supplementation.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 02:45:55 AM »

Butter fat facts for 100 g:

Saturated Fat 51.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 21.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.0g
      from which Total Omega-3 fatty acids 315mg
                      Total Omega-6 fatty acids 2728mg

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c2000.html

HTH
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

platinum107

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 05:56:12 AM »

Butter fat facts for 100 g:

Saturated Fat 51.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 21.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.0g
      from which Total Omega-3 fatty acids 315mg
                      Total Omega-6 fatty acids 2728mg

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c2000.html

HTH

Not sure if that is just for normal butter as opposed to organic, but here is an article about butter's fatty acids:
http://chetday.com/healthybutter.htm

"Fatty Acids
Butter has appreciable amounts of butyric acid, used by the colon as an energy source. This fatty acid is also a known anti-carcinogen. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, is a potent antimicrobial and antifungal substance. Butter also contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which gives excellent protection against cancer. Range-fed cows produce especially high levels of CLA as opposed to "stall fed" cattle. It pays, then, to get your butter from a cow that has been fed properly. Butter also has small, but equal, amounts of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, the so-called essential fatty acids."

IndianGirl

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »

psstttt.........IndianGirl!  I hate to tell you, but cats are ...........  MEAT!!!   

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

dear Magpie, I love birds too. ;-)

bloo

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »

Pinkmug and Platinum, thank you for your help!
Need to find organic butter then.

SandyDown

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

Bloo - I am not sure you need organic butter, don't forget dairy product in Europe (especially butter) are a lot better and more pure than those in the US.  I use kerrygold butter which is an Irish butter, I find it tastes the best (Most Irish Butters taste good)  if you can find that then go for it...

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »

dear Magpie, I love birds too.

:lol: :lol: Then thank goodness magpies are tough old things! I'd be feeling uneasy if I had a chicken or a turkey as my avatar!! :lol: :lol: :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18