Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
butter is better?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: butter is better?  (Read 48624 times)

SixtiesLibber

Re: butter is better?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »

Hi Platinum,

Thanks for reminding me about the protein in cream.  According to http://www.annecollins.com/protein_diet/protein-cream.htm there's 0.62g of protein in 2 T (100 calories) of heavy whipping cream but only http://www.annecollins.com/protein_diet/protein-butter.htm 0.12 g of protein in 1 T (100 calories) of butter.

I assume the protein in butter is mostly casein.

However, unless I stop eating cheese, neither cream nor butter are my main source of casein.

VeganKitten

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »

I am very well-read on the subject. As far as I know, the Inuit anecdote is based on limited research from the 1930's.
Throwing around words like "brainwashing" is uncalled-for. Educate yourselves.

shovelqueen

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 10:23:08 AM »

Remember that the Inuit were a very isolated and racially homogeneous group when these studies were done, and that they had had upwards of 10,000 years to adapt to their environment and their dietary limitations.  The same can't be said for the rest of us, and thus, the conclusions may not apply as neatly. 

Micheal Pollen, in In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, puts forward the idea that any traditional diet is healthier than what we have now - the "western diet", whether based on mostly meats, fish, plants, rice, corn,whatever.  The point is that it is about real foods, and has evolved together with those who live on it. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

platinum107

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »

I am very well-read on the subject. As far as I know, the Inuit anecdote is based on limited research from the 1930's.
Throwing around words like "brainwashing" is uncalled-for. Educate yourselves.

I may be new to this forum but I am VERY well educated in the area of nutrition, thank you very much.

I'd like to keep this thread on topic about butter as well, I did not create this thread to argue about carnivore vs. vegan and frankly if you didn't agree with anything in the thread why did you post?

By the way, the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes has a lot of good research in it if you haven't read it.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I cannot eat ANY carbohydrates at all due to a medical problem. I have severe gastritis caused by when I used to eat too much sugar and fiber and now I cannot eat anything with sugar or fiber in it or else I get flare up for weeks, trust me, I've tried it. If I stick to meat, eggs, and butter I have NO problems and my digestion now on that diet is better than it EVER was, even when i cut out sugar and was just eating fibrous green veggies as my carbs.

platinum107

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »

Hi Platinum,

Thanks for reminding me about the protein in cream.  According to http://www.annecollins.com/protein_diet/protein-cream.htm there's 0.62g of protein in 2 T (100 calories) of heavy whipping cream but only http://www.annecollins.com/protein_diet/protein-butter.htm 0.12 g of protein in 1 T (100 calories) of butter.

I assume the protein in butter is mostly casein.

However, unless I stop eating cheese, neither cream nor butter are my main source of casein.

No problem, I just like staying away from potentially addictive foods like dairy. I don't think the small amount in butter is anything to worry about though, but cheese is definitely predominately casein.

SandyDown

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »

I may be new to this forum but I am VERY well educated in the area of nutrition, thank you very much.

I'd like to keep this thread on topic about butter as well, I did not create this thread to argue about carnivore vs. vegan and frankly if you didn't agree with anything in the thread why did you post?

By the way, the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes has a lot of good research in it if you haven't read it.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I cannot eat ANY carbohydrates at all due to a medical problem. I have severe gastritis caused by when I used to eat too much sugar and fiber and now I cannot eat anything with sugar or fiber in it or else I get flare up for weeks, trust me, I've tried it. If I stick to meat, eggs, and butter I have NO problems and my digestion now on that diet is better than it EVER was, even when i cut out sugar and was just eating fibrous green veggies as my carbs.

Plat, don’t let the veggie brigade annoy you..  it seems in this forum vegetarians / vegans are tolerated well, but some how those people are not tolerating any other way of eating,  I have explained to them many times that I also get very ill when eating grains and carbs, but  it seems  they prefer to see others ill.

Believe it or not I used to be vegetarian  too, a long time ago, that was what triggered many health issues for me,  since then I have educated myself as Miss Vegan says, and I am most addicted to the latest and newest  health nutrition publications,  and I know carnivore way of eating is the best for my health.

Shovelqueen, was it you who posted the ‘My big Fat diet’ link ? wasn’t that an experiment done in Canada putting a whole community on the aboriginal/ native diet which was low carb?  Do you believe that  it worked for them because of their Genes?  Do you believe if others (westerners) were put on that diet then it wont work for them becasue they didn't have 10,000 years  to adapt to it?

I am not here to convert anyone or argue with anyone’s way of eating, only as I said before I really really get pi$$ed with the veggie brigade snobbery that their diet is the best… since the nutritionists pushed the idiotic food pyramid on the nations we had nothing but increased obesity, diabetes, CHD, IBS and hundreds more health issues. 

I suggest you guys educate yourselves a bit more…
All I ask for is to be tolerated here, if others believe there is no room here for someone with different views and diet than a vegetarian diet then please let me know.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »

Platinum,

I'm sad to hear you have gastritis.  What a nuisance!  Do you have celiac disease also or just gastritis?

platinum107

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »

Sandydown - thanks for backing me up, I couldn't have said it better. Have you been to the active no carber forum? People are very nice about it there. My name there is opticon107.

To vegankitten and others with similar views:
THis thread wasn;t even about vegan vs carnivore but somehow it got turned into that by vegankitten's comment. I would also appreciate it if people with other views on diet were tolerated as well because I CANNOT eat carbs without serious health consequences. I do not appreciate the condescending remarks (aka. you should get a doctors check up more often...umm like you shouldn't too???) and I don't go off on other's diets in other threads, so...there ya go.

Anyways...

SixtiesLibber - I just have gastritis, not celiac disease, thank goodness, but the gastritis is painful enough. When it flares up I don't feel like doing anything but lying around in pain. Needless to say my life was pretty miserable until I found out what was bothering it and gave up carbs.

VeganKitten

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »

Sorry I ruffled your feathers   :D
On the internet, one has to agree to disagree... :D :lol:

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »

.....gave up carbs......

OK, I have to ask.....if carbs are in so many foods, what foods have you learned to avoid, or in other words, what exactly did you give up?

Nosey?  Well yes, but then we all are here on this forum :lol:

platinum107

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »

Vegankitten - ok i admit that picture was funny...agree to disagree it is then  :D

Magpie - no problem, I gave up all fruits, vegetables, grains, and most processed foods (I have a very occasional bacon or something), dairy (except butter) and I think thats most of it. Its probably easier to tell you what I DO eat, which is: chicken (dark meat), beef (all cuts, but especially fatty cuts), eggs, butter, salmon, and that's about it. When I stick to those foods, I can minimize the frequency, intensity, and duration of my gastritis pains. Plus I don't feel deprived because chicken, steak, and eggs are my favorite foods. I love me some meat!

(on a side note, I would eat some cheese too but I'm dealing with candida so I can't eat any for now, plus I think i'm sensitive to casein protein so I'm experimenting with no cheese).

terio

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »

VeganKitten,  I Love your picture.

IndianGirl

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »

Vegankitten...ha ha haaa...good one!!!  psstttt.....I am vegetarian (and love cats)

platinum107...for your stomach problem...recommend you try Kapalbhati pranayam....its fabulous for the stomach as well as the entire body. Its very easy to do (you can do it while surfing the net!)...its just a way of breathing that's to be followed for a few minutes...more info will be available on the net (search terms will be Kapalbhati pranayam baba Ramdev)

Heidi 555

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 05:14:44 AM »

Vegankitten - great drawing and way to ease the tension. 

I just want to say that I really appreciate the full range of points of view on this forum.  I feel like something would be missing without the variety of differences.  Thank you to all vegans and carnivores.  I hope you all respectfully hang in here.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »

This is an an interesting new post on Hyperlipid about Helicobacter pylori (which can be a cause of gastritis) that suggests that anything "which increases blood glucose might just encourage helicobacter to have a field day...."

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2008/03/helicobacter-and-glucose.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18