Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
butter is better?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: butter is better?  (Read 48653 times)

platinum107

butter is better?
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:38:40 PM »

Before you say anything - read this link http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/butter.html

Seems like butter has some benefits? It has a bit of flavor but I bet it would be good nose clipped and melted. Thoughts? The reason I'm interested in butter is also because i read it has the perfect ratio of omegas 6:3 (organic does at least) and I'm afraid i already get too much omega 6 to take other polyunsaturated oils that are full of omega 6. I am also doing a low carb diet, and i believe that some saturated fat is good for you.

one800eatashoe

Re: butter is better?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »

I didn't read the whole article, but it may work. I googled organic butter, and for Horizon Organic,(the unsalted variety) there are 100 cal in a tablespoon, so you wouldn't have to take much more than you would oil. I'm interested to see if it would work, if you try it, keep us posted :)

SandyDown

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

platinum107, I've been wanting to replace my oil dose with melted butter as well, but wanted to give oil a month trial. †I think I am willing to try this during April... mind you I am known for butter snacking (I snack on pure Irish butter which is really lovely and has a chocolate like texture) †so on one hand I think its a good idea, on the other hand am worried it would turn into a ditto food †:D

However, having it melted with nose clipped (prevent any flavour tasting) may work, but does sound wasteful †:lol: †you know like drinking wine or having Belgium chocolate through an IV †:lol: †

The other idea I was toying with (since am going to attempt Eskimo diet but with extra cream and butter) is using fish oil, but I am already taking EPA capsules daily, and wondered if the fish oil (not capsules) would provide the same benefits....

I suppose given a choice between butter and fish oil, butter would win hands down, and my Eskimo diet should increase my intake of †omega 3 any way. † † † †
 † † † †

SandyDown

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »

Oh and look into the article I already posted   http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6154.0

Its by the same people you posted a link to, and similar conclusions really :)

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »

I don't know about better than olive oil, but butter is certainly better than margarine, in flavour, health properties, in every way. †It's all we use in my house. †

Even as a dietitian in the heyday of the Heart Healthy days of the eighties and nineties, I never liked margarine enough to recommend it to my patients. †

I used to tell people to mix their butter with oil to make a margarine like spread. †Take a lb of butter, let soften to room temp, add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of light tasting, high in mono-unsaturated oil (like canola or ELOO), and blend with a hand blender. †It will be quite liquid. †Pour into a tub and keep in the fridge. †It will soften to liquid very quickly if left out. †Can be used in baking, frying, anywhere regular butter or marg is used. †It's not lower in calories, but has a different balance of fats, and different cooking properties than straight butter. †For those who are economically disadvantaged, it makes a lb of butter go much further, too. †

"Strength, balance, joy!"

platinum107

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »

Sandydown, wow cool an eskimo diet? Let me know how that goes! I am trying the butter starting today since i was previously just nose clipping and i will let you know how it goes after i notice an effect. I am also very interested in the inuit diet and right now my diet consists of mostly meat, eggs, and butter. I agree butter is great on its own, but melted and nose clipped it still has a nice creamy warm texture without the flavor, and its not disgusting to choke down (like when i tried coconut oil...ughhh). I have the organic salted version, but salt is a sensation not a flavor right? so shouldnt be a problem?

The other thing that appeals to me about butter is the anti-bacterial effect. Right now i think i may have a candida overgrowth so thats a plus for me if its true.

shovelqueen -  i agree margarine is some nasty stuff and is so bad for you. Luckily i never liked it anyway even before i knew how bad it was. But as of right now i use butter for my cooking too, so it would be really convinient if I could also use it for SLD.

I also have fish oil capsules but the fish burps really bother me - seeing how it ruins my flavorless window. They also seem to aggravate my gastritis more than anything else, just like carbs do.

minuet

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

One of the first things I tried in my early SLD experiments was Ghee, with and without noseclips. †My only problem was that I liked it much too much, even noseclipped, and kept wanting to have more! †Iím afraid that I had to treat it like all other foods that I love too much and keep it out of the house. †I did keep it up for a week and a half, with no AS, and think I lost a good week of AS with that experiment. †Thatís not to say it would not work for someone else.  For me, nothing works as well as ELOO.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »

It might be easier to use Heavy Whipping Cream than butter.† I think it has the same advantages as butter.† However, it only has about half the calories per tablespoon as butter (or oil) so you'd need to take that into account.

SandyDown

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »

Plat - for candida CO may be better for you actually  :)  you may want to do a combo of butter and CO?

Darkhorse, thanks for sharing, that's exactly was my worry re the butter, as I like it too much.

SixtiesLibber :  if you shake cream really hard you'd get butter and buttermilk,  i.e. cream contains casein as well, so may not be suitable for everyone... saying that I do have cream in my drinks and I do find it brings  strong AS even though I don't have it as part of my flavourless calories...     however for me the benefit of cream is more to do with the calming effect it has on me, so am sticking with it.

platinum107

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »

Oh yeah heavy whipping cream could work too but...I think it would be a bit more expensive. I don't really have much trouble getting the butter down so far.

if cream has casein in it, then I'm not sure i want to try it, im a bit sensitive to the casomorphins (they make dairy addictive for me) but butter is not a problem..

Sandydown - unfortunately i was not able to stomach CO  :( last time i tried I threw up, so I'm not sure i want to try again. but yeah ive heard of it being good for candida too.

SandyDown

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »

Sandydown - unfortunately i was not able to stomach CO† :( last time i tried I threw up, so I'm not sure i want to try again. but yeah ive heard of it being good for candida too.

Teeheee this is exactly what happened to me when I first tried CO a  year ago, I threw up violently and had a headache, but took other's advice and took a tiny bit every day e.g. less that 1tsp a day, then increased gradually... must admit I did notice my skin improved a lot with CO ingesting Shangri-la way,  but yeh it should be best for Candida as well.   

Others told me they had this extreme extra energy when they started taking CO ( natural speed effect) but I didn't have it which is a shame, I would have loved to have 1T before a workout.

SandyDown

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »

Oh Plat, if your diet is mainly Meat&Egg  then you are also doing some kind of a carnivore diet (which I have been doing now for about 2 months) I gradually cut out all  food coming from trees (apart from the CO, and occasional ELOO)   

platinum107

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

Sandydown - yup im pretty much a carnivore right now. the last plant food I gave up was almonds. Peanut butter was hard for me to give up. Other than that, nothing else really was. Had to give up most of it due to gastro problems, and now i find my problems are kept in check through a carnivore diet.

And i guess technically ELOO is a plant oil, so we'd be better off taking an animal fat like butter  :lol:

VeganKitten

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »

I hope all you carnivores are under a doctor's supervision or at least get regular health check-ups.

The more meat and dairy you eat, the higher your risk of heart disease, stroke, alzheimer's disease, cancer, and auto-immune diseases. I'm not going to have a flame war with anyone... just... it might be a good idea if your doctor knew how you were eating.

platinum107

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »

I hope all you carnivores are under a doctor's supervision or at least get regular health check-ups.

The more meat and dairy you eat, the higher your risk of heart disease, stroke, alzheimer's disease, cancer, and auto-immune diseases. I'm not going to have a flame war with anyone... just... it might be a good idea if your doctor knew how you were eating.

I know you may disagree with carnivore diets, but you should do some research about it first before you make those mainstream assumptions that it puts you at a higher risk for those problems, not saying its your fault because we've been brainwashed to an extent to think that way by everything we hear about food, but just saying...theres research out there to back it up. For example, the inuits have a carnivorous diet (they dont touch a plant unless they are starving and they aboslutely have to) and they have a very low incidence of heart disease, cancer, etc. But anyways, I agree no flame wars over this, because we will probably never convince the other that one is right  :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18