Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tasting food to gain weight?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tasting food to gain weight?  (Read 2780 times)

mary

Tasting food to gain weight?
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »

I just finished reading the book, and now I have a question. Well actually I have alot of them, but I will settle for this one. Seth mentioned in the book, about how when rats(people?) were tube fed, they did not gain weight. I know, I am probably simplifying this too much, but if the rats, (or people) can taste flavor when they first start being fed through the tube, will they gain weight? Or do they have to swallow the flavor in order to gain weight. I have a young man that I take care of that has cerebral palsey. He is fed through a feeding tube. We are giving him all the calories he needs, but seems to stay at a weight slightly under where he should be. We would like him to gain about 10 pounds, so that weight will hopefully cushion skinny pressure point areas. The young man has a stoma in his neck, because his esophogus is blocked off due to scarring from many years of acid reflux, He cant swallow, so the stoma allows for the release of saliva, and such. If when starting his food to run through the tube, I put the taste of peppermint (or something) on his tongue, will this (according to what I think I understand) help him gain weight???? 

Rey

Re: Tasting food to gain weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 07:08:43 AM »

Actually he would gain weight. Dr. Roberts can aorrect me here, but rats that where given taste within 30 minutes or less of consuming calories grew a strong association with the taste and calories. This association is what raises the set point and forces the weight gain. The test tube, because it keeps him from tasting the food is what is keeping him thin. Rats fed thru a test tube with no flavor bacame very thin. Try a strong flavor, the same every time, that way he will develop a strong association with the taste/calories. Please let us know if this helps the young man.

mjohnson121

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:58:08 AM »

Hmmm...I wonder if this discussion (and using the theory in reverse!) could lead to a number of benefits for the medical (and otherwise) community who are dealing with "wasting" patients.

Certainly interesting.

-Mark

mary

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:39:37 AM »

Thank you for your reply. It will be an interesting experiment. I melted a peppermint candy in a cup of water this morning, and will put that taste in his mouth. Will have to see if we can take him and get him weighed, before I get too far into this experiment. Mark, if we have success with this, believe me, I will be telling everyone I know about it. I will keep you all as informed as I can.. Thanks for the help... mary

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »

I sincerely hope your experiment works Mary, both to help your patient and also to provide a pretty impressive example to show that the principles behind the diet have merit. 

Best of luck!   :)

Keep us posted.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18