Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Quitting smoking with SLD

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quitting smoking with SLD  (Read 9116 times)

Aliebling

Quitting smoking with SLD
« on: May 29, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »

So I decided to quit smoking a few weeks ago, and set yesterday (5/28) as my quit date.  Before then I discovered and started SLD, which made my quit date day 4 of the diet.  This discussion - http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=379.0 - made me wonder if the diet might have an impact on my cigarette cravings, so I'm going to document here and see if that's the case (I've quit for 6 or more months twice before, so I have basis for comparison).

So far, I'm surprised at how easy it is.  Last time I quit I was glued to a stop smoking forum for hours at a time to keep me focused, and chewed so much gum that my jaw hurt, and even had really minor panic attacks over how much I wanted to smoke.  I don't know if it's the diet or the fact that I've done it before and thus know I can do it again, but my cravings have been really minor.  When I finish a meal or go outside I kind of automatically think to have a cigarette, because that's what I'm used to doing, but so far these impulses have seemed more out of habit that actual nicotine withdrawal.  The real test will be tomorrow when I have to go to work.

spacehoppa

• England
Re: Quitting smoking with SLD
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:52:39 PM »

Well done Aliebling!

Wouldn't it be great if SLD helped you with your nicotine cravings too!!  :shock:

Hard to imagine how that would happen, but hell, a lot of this is just plain weird, so I watch and wait with interest. Let us know how you get on at work.
Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

Sherrie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »

Aliebling, I've had the same experience. Yesterday was my official two week anniversary for not smoking. It's the third time in approximately five years that I've quit. But it has never been so easy for me to quit as it has been this time. Not even when I tried the patch!

I do still have the occasional craving, especially while driving, but I just try to think of something else and they go away. They're not physical cravings at this point anyway, just habitual.

The longest I've ever quit before was three weeks, so we'll see what happens in a week or so.

Good luck!

Aliebling

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »

How long have you been on the diet Sherrie?

Sherrie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:12:21 PM »

Two weeks! I quit smoking and started the diet on the same day, although not at the exact same time. I think I took the first dose of oil early that morning and quit smoking in the afternoon. It wasn't planned.

Aliebling

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:39:06 AM »

Day 3 of my quit and still no significant cravings.  This morning when I was getting ready to leave the house, I was looking forward to smoking my cig on the way to the metro, and then realized abruptly that I don't get to do that!  But again, it seemed way more habitual than physical craving.

If this keeps up, I'm going to tell the folks over at www.stopsmokingcenter.net and see if I can convince any new quitters to test this too.

Aliebling

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 06:59:49 AM »

Well, yesterday was a very bad day for my diet, but a good one for not smoking!  I went out with a friend to a bar and got pretty drunk on the outdoor patio, with smokers all around, then had a nice meal and walked home in the warm night, and there was hardly any struggle not to smoke!  I kept _watching_ people with cigarettes, kind of clinically, but only very brief flashes of wanting one myself.

I know that this kind of subjective, but I'm really thinking that SLD has made this quit ridiculously easy.  And who cares if it's all in my head, as long as it works?

Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »

Aliebling,

Thus far victory is yours!  When I first quit smoking the only time I had trouble was in a bar after a few drinks.  It was the only time my smoking addiction psychosis would kick in.  I'd be fine for a few drinks, watching other people smoke, but at a certain level of drunkeness a switch would flip and I would feel like I could kill a person for a cigarette.  I'm very pleased for you that you're quitting.   Sometimes when I see someone smoking now, I'm soooo thankful that I don't smoke anymore.  Good luck, or hang in there, or kick ass, or whatever else you need to hear.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »

When I quit smoking, it was not at all what I expected. Things that I expected to be hard (like not smoking in the mornings, or after food, or after coffee, or with alcohol) weren't particularly hard for me at all. In fact, I could quite happily substitute booze for cigarettes and get full relief from cravings (whether that was a good thing to do is another discussion entirely).

I braced for an experience that was acutely painful. What I got was an experience that was much less painful but much more chronic. I didn't crave as hard, but I craved hard much longer, than I had anticipated. Someone once described the experience to me as, "it's like your best friend died." That sums it up for me. Time will dull the pain, but the tragic and untimely loss of Benson & Hedges will be with me always.

Man, if SLD can spare you an iota of that, I'm calling the Nobel people.
Running weight tally:

Denise

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 01:03:10 PM »

I've quit twice before for 3 months both times, but it was pretty frustrating.  I've set my date for tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.  That will also be the end of the 4th week on SLD.

Aliebling

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »

Good luck Denise!  Have you been to www.stopsmokingcenter.net?  The forums there are a really really great resource for quitters.

I'm still going strong with the not smoking!  I wasn't taking oil or anything for two days though, so I'm not sure if credit goes to the diet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18