Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pease pudding hot, pease pudding COLD..Fat Burning Breakthrough

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pease pudding hot, pease pudding COLD..Fat Burning Breakthrough  (Read 14268 times)

multimoe

Pease pudding hot, pease pudding COLD..Fat Burning Breakthrough
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:30:05 AM »

Well, this is not exactly about Pease Pudding but is

An exciting breakthrough for weight loss, cancer prevention, diabetes, and heart disease.
From reputable sources: World Health Organization, American Dietetic Association, University of Minnesota, University of Colorado, and more.

Potatoes, rice, corn, beans.
These foods and others contain resistant starch, a unique kind of fiber you'll be hearing a lot more about. In fact, experts agree that it's one of the most exciting nutrition breakthroughs they've seen in years.  The difference is that they must be served cold.

“It shuts down hunger hormones”  "It increases calorie burn"

Resistant starch is a type of dietary fiber naturally found in many carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, grains, and beans , particularly when these foods are cooled. It gets its name because it "resists" digestion in the body, and though this is true of many types of fiber, what makes resistant starch so special is the powerful impact it has on weight loss and overall health.

As a dieter's tool it can't be beat: Not only does it increase your body's ability to burn fat, but it also fills you up and reduces overall hunger. Its health benefits are truly impressive as well. Studies show it improves blood sugar control, boosts immunity, and may even reduce your cancer risk.  Here's just 1 link of many that will give examples of Naturally-Occurring Resistant Starch:

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/Natures+FatBurning+Breakthrough/Home/ContentPosting_P.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=145557&feedname=RODALE-PREVENTION&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False 

Potato salad, bean salad, barley salad....I can live with that!

Going shopping!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:57:32 PM by trina »

VeganKitten

Re: Pease pudding hot, pease pudding COLD.......reprieve for carbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:28:48 PM »

This is great to know about. As a vegan who eats mainly whole foods, I already eat a lot of these things. But I was eating my beans cold because I was lazy  :lol:

multimoe

Re: Pease pudding hot, pease pudding COLD..Fat Burning Breakthrough
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:19 AM »

I had to post further about this as I find it very exciting.
                 For the past week, I have been experimenting with adding small amounts
                 (see chart below) of cooked, cooled, seasoned navy beans, cold potato
                 salad, cold brown rice (as cereal with milk & raisins) through the day. I aim
                 for no more than 20 grams daily.    

A very strong feeling of satiety is noticed as never before, although
                I may have eaten too much for me as I feel a bit too full now  Also, for someone
                who never eats potatoes, this is very interesting.
                More info here:
                http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/resistantstarch.htm   
                a few excepts:
                What are the benefits of resistant starch?                
                It seems that the more it is studied, the more positive effects are being found.
                Resistant starch is especially associated with one type of SCFA (short
                chain fatty acids), called butyrate, which is protective of colon cells and associated
                with less genetic damage (which can lead to cancer). Butyrate also protects the
                cells in other ways.

•As with other fermentable fiber, resistant starch is associated with more mineral
               absorption, especially calcium and magnesium.

•   Perhaps most exciting for people with sugar issues, resistant starch seems to
               improve insulin sensitivity.              
              •   Resistant starch produces more satiety, partly through the release of a
                 different peptide (PYY).
              •   Resistant starch consumption is associated with lower cholesterol and triglyceride
                 levels.
              •   Promotes "good" bacteria, and suppresses "bad" bacteria and their toxic
                  products.
              •   Promotes bowel regularity.
              •   Resistant starch in a meal is associated with less fat storage after that meal.

Resistant Starch does have calories, , but not in the way you would think, and
                less than regular starch. When resistant starch reaches the colon, it is used for
                fuel by the bacteria there. This process, called fermentation, produces a certain
                type of fat called short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs). It is these fatty acids
                which produce most of the calories from resistant starch, and many of the benefits.

Examples of Naturally-Occurring Resistant Starch
                              FOOD
                           (cooked,cooled)   SERV.SIZE    Grams Resistant Strch
                             Navy Beans        ½ cup             9.8
                             (Banana raw)        1 med             4.7
                             Brown Rice        ½ cup             3
                             Potato               1(2”diam)        3.2
                             Lentils               ½ cup            2.5
                             Corn                 ½ cup              2
                             Pearl Barley        ½ cup            1.6

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Trina
thanks for this info - it's really interesting.
i was gearing myself up to try low-carb but now i will have ( :)) to include these items. 
the 2" potato is quite small isn't it??  and how do you have the rice cold as a cereal?? what are navy beans??
This certainly puts a spoke in the wheel of the low gi diet too - i'm sure both potato and banana are no nos.
it's really strange that so many 'diets' tell us not to eat this or that and then its discovered that these items are good for your health...perhaps the key is portion control.

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

Trina
thanks for this info - it's really interesting.
i was gearing myself up to try low-carb but now i will have ( :)) to include these items. 
the 2" potato is quite small isn't it??  and how do you have the rice cold as a cereal?? what are navy beans??
This certainly puts a spoke in the wheel of the low gi diet too - i'm sure both potato and banana are no nos.
it's really strange that so many 'diets' tell us not to eat this or that and then its discovered that these items are good for your health...perhaps the key is portion control.
[/color]

Note that the starchy foods need to be eaten cold to get this benefit.  I've always noticed a change in texture when eating leftover potatos cold, now I guess I know why.  The increasing waxiness of the cold starches will definitely effect the GI index, making them lower GI foods.  Also, the bananas need to be under-ripe, also lowering their GI index greatly.  In a strange way, they all seem to be saying the same thing, just approaching from different directions.

Navy beans are the little white beans used to make "baked beans" in North America.  Same as white beans.  (Used by the Navy, maybe? :D)

I too eat cold brown rice, made up with raisins, some kind of sweetener (like Xylitol for me) and cinnamon, then milk poured over top, just like cereal.  It's tasty, sort of like a lazy-man's rice pudding, and a good whole grain, gluten-free cereal alternative. 

And you're right, nougat, the key to all these things is portion control.  In the end, it's what all the other interventions are all about.  Even SLD.  It's just easier and more effective than most of the others. :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

multimoe

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

...perhaps the key is portion control.

Hi nougat,
In the case of Resistant Starch, it is not specifically a case of portion control, but the amount of RS we should have daily.
Public health authorities and governments have not yet set recommended levels for resistant starch consumption. In Australia, where resistant starch has been most extensively studied, the Division of Human Nutrition at CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization – Australia’s national scientific research organization) advises that “...intakes in the order of 20 grams per day of resistant starch may be needed to obtain some of the bowel related benefits.”

One 2" potato gives you just 3.2 grams, so obviously, you could eat more, or combine some of the other sources.  I have been making chunk potato salad, navy beans with onion, garlic & salt, and brown rice, and estimating the amounts of these per day to get my 20 grams. Resistant Starch is produced, or more accurately, increased, when these foods are cooled.  It's easy and delicious to add some of these with each meal or snack. I could not look at an unripe banana, though.  Corn and barley are also good.  My husband, my sister and I are doing this and watching very carefully for effects.  We all are reporting increased satiety, so we really are eating less overall.

Please forgive the repetition, but just in case this was not clear:
                     Resistant Starch – These are starches that escape
                      digestion in the small intestine. Resistant starch is found in cooked and
                      cooled potatoes, rice and pasta, under-ripe bananas and beans. While
                      natural resistant starch is insoluble, it is fermented in the large intestine
                      and is a prebiotic fiber, providing some of the health benefits of both
                      soluble and insoluble fiber – plus some unique advantages of its own.

Resistant Starch is not new, but it is only recently that we have begun to understand the value of this substance in our diet, how much we need and which foods contain them. There are many good sites on line with abundant information on Resistant Starch.

PS.  When it comes to calories, roughly 50% of Resistant Starch resists digestion, and 50% is digested slowly, therefore not causing a rise in blood sugar with its inevitable appetite-increasing insulin response, so it's like getting it for half the calories.  Looks like a bargain to me!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »

thanks shovelqueen and trina.

so pasta too??  so why not bread??

i'm not too keen on under-ripe bananas either  could they be cooked and cooled too?? 

the rice cereal sounds yummy. :)

multimoe

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:46:02 AM »

...so pasta too??  so why not bread??
[/color]
nougat, I had not included these as the amounts of Resistant Starch in them were quite small, but here they are:

Grams Resistant                                             
   FOOD              SERV.SIZE       Starch
. Cold Pasta         1 cup                1.9
. Oatmeal            1 cup cooked,    
                            cooled             0.7
. Wholegrain        2 slices              0.5
   Bread

For the rice, I use 1 c. or less cottage cheese (more protein than same amount of milk) with a little water or milk, in the blender with 1 scoop whey powder, Xylitol.  Mixed through cold brown rice with some raisins or raspberries.
Thats a roughly 300 calorie meal with 25 grams protein.  Subtract 1/2 the calories of the undigested rice (50-60), and I'm in heaven!

correction: make that 35 gr. protein: 15 for the c.cheese, 20 for the whey.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 08:56:21 AM by trina »

VeganKitten

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »

I have cold chickpea mush to eat for lunch today, with my nose closed. This oughtta be good! :D

jj

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »

Truly fascinating!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »

I often throw borlotti beans into salad when I'm feeling rushed  - or lazy - except now I'm going to feel even better about it  :D, and feeling naughty about scoffing last nights leftover cold baby potatoes with a sprinkle of salt and a tiny dab of butter -  I can enjoy those guilt free now too ! 
Great ideas for the brown rice cereal too Shovelqueen and Trina - I LOVE brown rice, and your suggestions sounds delish!  I've made tabbouleh with brown rice and with barley as DH can't tolerate the cracked wheat normally used.  I found both a great starting point for that type of salad - and the good thing is they keep well, making it handy for lunch the next day.

multimoe

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

I often throw borlotti beans into salad when I'm feeling
                   rushed  - or lazy - except now I'm going to feel even better about it  :D,
                   and feeling naughty about scoffing last nights leftover cold baby potatoes
                   with a sprinkle of salt and a tiny dab of butter -  I can enjoy those guilt free
                   now too !

And just think, Magpie, NO Flavour-Free Window to worry about!   Just have some food from the list of those containing Resistant Starch at one or all of your meals throughout the day to try to get around 20 gr. (so simple) RS.  It is very pleasant, and without changing your diet, or sacrificing taste and convenience, you can obtain additional fiber and other valuable health advantages by eating popular foods like potatoes, corn, beans, rice (always cooked and cooled) containing this natural fiber.  You'll fill up quicker, and another important fact is that every meal containing these foods is associated with less fat storage from that meal.  Win Win.

jj

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »

I love potatoes. I will never avoid them anymore!

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »

Usually when something sounds too good to be true, it is. You might want to read what Dr. Eades says about this:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolism/resistant-starch/#more-1182

lvivianka

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »

Wow, so whom can we believe? one day something is good for you, next day it isn't, or vice versa. I guess moderation in everything is the way to go (except transfats and HFCS).

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18