Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sara's second try

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sara's second try  (Read 10398 times)

jslewis27

Sara's second try
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »

Alright, to bore all of you, here is the saga of my weight.

I started my post high school life at around 135-140lbs, fluctuating depending on if there was food money in my budget that week. =) I worked as a delivery driver, and loading axles, clutches, and cases of oil into my truck had left me very nicely fit.
I got married at 20, and the pounds started slowly creeping up...I was used to a Diet Pepsi for breakfast with some Taco Bell at lunch, and my Army husband wanted 3 full courses a day, ususally deep fried and full of carbs. My weight climbed to 150 and then dropped back down to 140 while he was deployed during our first year; then when he came home, we got stationed in Italy.

Italy, the land of incredible architecture, great wine, delicious food, and super skinny tan women. Loved, loved, loved the food...and the food loved me. I got a very inactive job; combine that with pasta and culture shock depression, and you get an extra 40lbs overnight. The only thing I am grateful for is that the weight distributed pretty evenly - EVERYTHING got bigger. Ugh.
Literally at the end of our 2 year tour, I was browsing in the library and found this book. I read it cover to cover that night and immediately set upon my oil drinking journey. I examined all of the oil options at our grocery store, and finally decided on EVOO because everyone says it is the best for your health in cooking. I started with 3 tablespoons of oil per day, all at once. I was allright for the first few days, then started gagging when I even thought about oil. I decided to switch to the sugar water. Of course, being the impatient person that I am, I started with 3 tbsp of sugar in water immediately. Within a few hours, my IBS (which at that time I didn't know I had), flared insanely. I was sick for a week and quit the diet alltogether. 2 weeks later, we moved to El Paso and I totally forgot about the SLD.
I have managed to at least not gain any more weight, but haven't been able to lose it either. I did try some diet pills w/ephedrine, which helped me lose 10lbs, but I gained that back over Christmas this year. My Doctor suggests that my birth control (depoprovera) is not making me gain, but is keeping me plateaued at this weight. We shall see.

Having a greater understanding of IBS and how I can prevent my body's flareups, I am ready to reattempt this diet that seems to have had such success for everyone. I have been sifting through blogs for the greater part of my evening and am really impressed.

I took my first tablespoon of oil tonight, I used Jenn's tip of mixing water, oil, and sugar. Because I am going to take the oil and not necessarily the sugar water path, I used Splenda to flavor my mix. The oil went down incredibly easy, with no foul taste or texture. No gag reflex at all!!!!   I used Crisco 100% Vegetable Oil, because I have that and EVOO on hand right now, and the EVOO smells disgusting to me.

I am going to start with 1 TBSP a night, and as I do not have a copy of the book yet, would someone please let me know how much oil I should be consuming per day?

Wish me luck, please!

Sara

Oh yeah, I'm 25 and 5' 5" tall with a starting weight of 189

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: Sara's second try
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »

Sara! Your story is not boring at all! in fact it's so much better when we know about people's background, we can be more helpful. Plus, you've lived in different places, it makes it even more interesting.

Italy!! Oh la bella Italia. I was almost in shock when I spent a week there and when lunching out with Italians, they ate all those huge antipasti, which I thought were the main course, and then the meat or fish plates. And then dessert. Well, this was some 18 years ago so I don't know if it's still the same.

I also love Italian food... give me a bowl of spaghetti with grated parmesan, ketchup and mayo. Just that. Anytime. With a glass of red wine, that's my idea of a a happy meal!  :D

1 Tbsp doesn't seem to be enough for anyone, even for those of us with less to lose. IMO you should up to at least 2, and go for a healthier oil. I mean, one that is more balanced omega-wise (walnut, flaxseed), or ELOO. Cooking oils are usually too strong on omega-6 and too low on omega-3, the ideal rate seems to be 3:1 or 4:1 (omega 6:omega 3). Some cooking oils can be 20:1!

So... good luck! Keep us updated!  :D

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »

Hi Sara and welcome.  Agree with Pinkmug, you should try increasing the oil, and maybe even the timing of it.  Mid morning and mid afternoon is what works for me, but everyone needs to determine the best schedule for themselves.  One to two TBS each dose should do it, and ELOO does have the best track record for appetite suppression, and there is no smell or taste, and as Pinkmug said, much healthier for you.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:29:44 AM »

Hi Sara.  Welcome back. I'm starting over too.

Are you possibly mixing up ELOO and EVOO?  ELOO or Extra Light Olive Oil is what you want.  This should have almost no taste or smell if you have a fresh bottle of a good brand. 

I find that a good way to take the oil is to put some ice in water and then when the water is really cold, remove the ice cubes.  You only need a few ounces of water.  Then float the ELOO on top of the water.  Hold your nose and either sip or take big swallows. Then rinse your mouth out and wipe off your lips.  You can rinse your mouth with very weak sugar water--say 1 teaspoon of sugar in a big glass of water.

At your weight you probably need at least three measuring tablespoons of oil a day.  You might start with one teaspoon mid-morning and one teaspoon mid-afternoon and then work up as your digestive system adjusts.

I know lots of people swear by Splenda but I got joint pains and stomach cramps so you might want to pay attention to any new symptoms.

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »

I also love Italian food... give me a bowl of spaghetti with grated parmesan, ketchup and mayo. Just that. Anytime. With a glass of red wine, that's my idea of a a happy meal!  :D

Ketchup and Mayo?!?  Really?? :shock:  Any particular proportions?  Sounds like the perfect university student food.  My staple in uiversity (many moons ago :D) was pasta with Prego Sauce ( a nice chunky jarred spagetti sauce, and parmesan.)  Others were living on Kraft Dinner, but I liked this better.  Dietitian students just CAN'T live on KD - too unhealthy!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »

Ketchup and Mayo?!? Really?? :shock: Any particular proportions? Sounds like the perfect university student food. My staple in uiversity (many moons ago :D) was pasta with Prego Sauce ( a nice chunky jarred spagetti sauce, and parmesan.) Others were living on Kraft Dinner, but I liked this better. Dietitian students just CAN'T live on KD - too unhealthy!

:shock: yes... at will, my fave is 50/50... I'm a bit baffled you know, because we have this sauce called American Sauce and it's ketchup and mayo based (plus a little fresh cream and whisky). I should think this is popular in America... sometimes I mix ketchup and mayo at home and call it American Sauce (simpler version of course). Anyway: try it, you'll love it on pasta... and it's less caloric than just mayo!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »

Never heard of American sauce, but then, I'm Canadian! :)  Around here, mayo is usually just an ingredient in salads and minced sandwich fillings, or on tomato sandwiches.  Not used much as an add-on condiment, as it is in Europe. The first time someone told me about using mayo on fries, I just about fell off my chair!  Pure fat added to deep-fried foods - GOD!!  A dietitian's nightmare!  That client had learned the trick in Blegium.  Pure ketchup is bad enough  - mostly sugar.    However, on reflection, not much different than tartar sauce on deep-fried fish, I guess.

However, now I'm curious about your pasta.  May have to try it.  You're tempting me to corruption! :lol:

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »

:D from a point of view Canadians are Americans  :D but anyway. I forget I'm talking to a dietitian OOPS but my kids add ketchup+mayo to everything, from fish sticks to chicken breasts to white rice... now if that horrifies you, listen to this one: my DH many years ago used to go lunch to a joint near the port where sailors used to go too, and told me that some, from NE Europe, Poles for instance, always ordered just one thing: big plates of french fries covered with... mustard!!! (this horrified ME). Nothing else. Oh and coke to drink. Imagine their stomachs inside...  :o

Don't forget the grated parmesan! Mix everything together!

jslewis27

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »

Thank you guys so much!

I was so excited to try again, I wanted to start immediately. The only two oils I had in the house were the Vegetable oil, and the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I smelled both, and chose the least stinky one. lol. I will be going out to the store today to purchase some good oil. I tried 1 tbsp poured on top of a 1tps sugar/1tbsp water mix. I have trouble with regular sugar sometimes, and we use splenda in pretty much everything, so I dont think I will have a problem with it. For the time being, I think I am going to take the oil in the evening before bed because that is the only time I have that I can do the 2 hour window. I am not even up for an hour before I leave for work in the morning. lol. I will up my dose to 2 tbsp tonight, and see how I feel. Maybe stick with that for a week or so, then add the 3rd tbsp.

thank you all for your suggestions and support!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »

from a point of view Canadians are Americans 
Oooooh Pinkmug!!  Thems fighting words to a Canadian......a bit like saying " from a point of view Portugese are Spanish" or "Kiwis are Australian", or "Scottish are English".  God forbid we start a United Nations issue here on the forum ! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

jslewis27

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »

Hmmm...Pinkmug, the only mix of ketchup and mayo popularity I can think of is thousand Island dressing, which seems to be a mixture of ketchup, mayo, some chunky things and maybe some spices? I havent heard of an "American Sauce" here. (then again, we live in El Paso, where salsa is served with everything from tacos to biscuits and gravy) =)

When we were in Italy, we learned to eat our fries with mayo, which is actually really good.....

shovelqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »

from a point of view Canadians are Americans 
Oooooh Pinkmug!!  Thems fighting words to a Canadian......a bit like saying " from a point of view Portugese are Spanish" or "Kiwis are Australian", or "Scottish are English".  God forbid we start a United Nations issue here on the forum ! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Well said, my friend!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

:D You're welcome!  :lol:

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »

yes... at will, my fave is 50/50... I'm a bit baffled you know, because we have this sauce called American Sauce and it's ketchup and mayo based (plus a little fresh cream and whisky). I should think this is popular in America... sometimes I mix ketchup and mayo at home and call it American Sauce (simpler version of course). Anyway: try it, you'll love it on pasta... and it's less caloric than just mayo!

I have lived in 6 different states here in the States, and I haven't heard of this  American Sauce.  Although-ketchup MMMM.... cream MMM... whiskey MMM...what's not to like?

hmm..ketchup on spaghetti...growing up, ketchup went on everything from french fries to sour kraut(...don't ask.)  Never thought of putting it on spaghetti though.
Weirdest thing I ever saw someone eat on their french fries was a chocolate milkshake.  or was the weirdest thing cream gravy..?  it's a toss-up..I can't decide.
I prefer chili-cheese fries myself.  Hardly ever get to eat them though.

thousand Island dressing, which seems to be a mixture of ketchup, mayo, some chunky things and maybe some spices  The chunky stuff in Thousand Island dressing is pickle relish I hope :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 03:05:54 AM »

OMG!!  :shock:
Oh no, I don't want to start anything, I didn't realize I was politically incorrect! Geez! Sorry if I hurt anyone's susceptibilities.  :(
The way we see it, all people from countries in the continent of America are Americans. So, Canadians, Brazilians, Mexicans, Argentinians, etc are all Americans (= of the continent of America). Usually, in Europe,  it's surmised that it refers to US citizens, but the word can also be used to encompass all the countries from the Continent.

To support this alternative meaning, there's the fact that Brazilians and the latin-anerican countries don't refere to Americans (of the US) by that word, but rather by "estadunidense". How could they call US nationals Americans when themselves are from America too?

The examples given are not equivalent to what I said!
Portuguese and Spanish are Iberians, and Europeans, but Portuguese aren't Spanish or vice-versa!
Australians and Kiwis are Oceanians, or Australasians, but Kiwis aren't Australians!
Scottish and English are British, but Scottish aren't English!!

I rest my case. I hope I'm declared Not Guilty, and totally exonerated!  :D

Regarding the other apple of discord, actually a mayo/ketchup based sauce, I found several recipes on Portuguese, Brazilian and French websites, with slight variations. Googling salsa americana I get a diferent sauce, something much more elaborated, with seafood and veggies in it.
So, to settle the matter, consider it as
Pinkmug sauce for pasta (and it's pink too)  :D
Mayo and ketchup, proportions to taste, with grated parmesan blended in. Salt and pepper to taste. Chopped coriander or parsley are also welcome in it. Enjoy  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18