Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hungry for a Month: eat for $1 a day AND lose weight!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hungry for a Month: eat for $1 a day AND lose weight!  (Read 6001 times)

Heidi 555

Hungry for a Month: eat for $1 a day AND lose weight!
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »

Here's a fascinating blog/experiment that Walkerinthemist posted a link to on his thread: http://hungryforamonth.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_hungryforamonth_archive.html 
I thought it warranted more attention.  Thanks Walker for mentioning it to begin with.

(Here's a link to Walker's SLD page if you haven't seen it: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5886 )

Evan decides to spend only $30 on food for a month.  His blog is a fascinating read, and the results of his experiment support SLD philosophy.  I'm posting a few excerpts that related to my SLD experience.  But check out his whole blog, his revelations and discoveries around eating and poverty are great!

"Over the past few days, a completely unexpected feeling has come over me: The desire not to eat. You would think that someone living on a rather modest budget if a $1 per day would jump at the idea of any food, but the opposite is turning out to be true.

For the past few days, Iíve put off eating as much as possible. I have plenty of food, I know what I can afford to eat, and yet I find myself putting it off.

I think the root of the problem is that food makes me feel slow and sluggish now. Any food. If I have small bowl of spaghetti, I feel like taking a nap for an hour. If I eat a hard boiled egg, I feel like I just had a seven course meal. My body seems to have adapted to the point where any food is interpreted as gorging.

Once I eat for the first time in the day, food for the rest of the day seems more appealing, but Iím regularly delaying that first meal of the day until 6pm or 7pm."

AND:
"At the beginning of this experiment, I had no idea if I would actually lose weight. Sure, I knew I would be eating less, but I also knew what I was eating would be mostly carbs (which I hear make people fat, although thatís almost exclusively based on weight-loss commercials I see on TV).

Anyway, I did lose weight. Fast. In fact, I lost about seven pounds in ten days. Something has to be off about that measurement since Iím not even sure itís possible (what with a pound representing 3500 calories), but never-the-less, itís what the scale said.

My weight has been holding just about constant for the past few days. This is a good sign. Iím not eating any more or less than I did in the first 10Ö I think my body has just caught up and adjusted my metabolism. I wouldnít be surprised if I lose 12 or 13 pounds total by the end of this.

By the way, I plan on eating back those 13 pounds by noon on December 1."

AND:
"I donít even feel like Iím eating less anymore. In fact, for the past few days Iíve felt like Iím over eating. I pretty much force myself to eat more because I get scared when I do the math on the amount of calories Iíve consumed that day and find them to be dangerously low. Iíve said it before, but itís amazing to me that in such a short amount of time my body has completely adjusted to this way of life. Iím consuming less than half the amount of food I used to and I donít even notice it.

That said, the main thing that I know will have me back to eating ďnormallyĒ almost immediately is taste. I really do miss taste. I miss crushed red pepper, strong garlic, sweet onions, that tangy vinegary taste of Frankís Red Hot SauceÖ I think that come December, Iíll be eating a lot of strong ethnic foods just to indulge in all the different tastes."

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:35:55 PM by Heidi 555 »
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

VeganKitten

Re: Hungry for a Month: eat for $1 a day AND lose weight!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »

Interesting experiment, I read his whole 30 day journal. Thanks for the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18