Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!  (Read 385599 times)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »

After a lifetime of not weighing what I wanted, the idea that I can choose my weight is a stupendous dream for my mind to grasp.  All along I've been hopeful, but not daring to believe in it, until it becomes real and lasting.  But now I live with feeling happiness with my body, and that feeling is a priceless gift.

Beautifully put. Maybe I will print it and frame it. Seriously.

CC

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 03:08:50 PM »

Heidi
I totally agree with Seth... very well put!† You must be so proud of yourself.† As I said before.... YOU are truly an inspiration!

Heidi 555

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »

Seth and CC - thank you.† You have both overwhelmed my compliment quota.† :oops:†

Perhaps I too, need to print it so that I'll reread and remember it.† Thanks for pointing that out to me.† †

Darkhorse, I'm glad that the nose clipping is continuing to go well for you.

We certainly come in all shapes and sizes, but, it seems we are never happy with our bodies, which is sad.
It's like we need to recondition ourselves and remember to feel good about what we have.† That's why reminders are helpful.†

It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Heidi 555

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:08 AM »

I'm still continuing to nose clip most of my meals, most of the time.  It still is pretty monotonous, but not too bad.  My set point seems to be continually lowered.  Judging by my body, my fat is gradually but steadily going down.  I can see and feel that the nose clipping is working.  This increases my motivation to just stay with nose clipping this high percentage of food for awhile longer. 

I'm still really happy with my body, but am not sure what my "dream" weight looks like.  I don't have any memories of some ideal weight that I use to be, but even if I did it seems healthier to find the right weight for my more mature 47-year-old body.  I hope to settle at a weight that I can easily maintain.  I want to remember to cultivate the Shangri-la feelings of being at peace with my body and food choices. 

In some ways I'm relieved that I'm going more by body observation than scales, as I think I'm getting to be a more reliable observer.  I haven't been on a scale that shows fat and water percentages, but the ones I have been on seem wildly inconsistent, and can thus induce a psychological roller coaster ride, as many on this forum will attest.  As I pay careful attention, it's becoming much more obvious to me when my weight is up due to water bloat.  Also I'm getting better attuned to sensing the places in my body that feel lighter when I've lost fat.  I think cultivating greater body awareness is ultimately more helpful than relying just upon a scale.  Also, my husband's observations back up and confirm that of my own.  (I guess he isn't like those who didn't notice a thing until 10 pounds or several clothes sizes were dropped. lol!)  I think at first my wishful thinking influenced my observations.  As SLD has progressed, I'm learning to be a more accurate and impartial observer.  My goal weight seems more focused on how my body looks and less about what the scales say.  I feel motivated to increase muscle mass.

I've still been attempting to eat less carbs, but don't think that it's working for me.  I end up with intense carb cravings, and fantasizing about fast foods and pastries that I rarely eat.  Are the intense cravings because I'm trying to break a long held addiction?  Or are good carbs high quality fuel for my body?  I obviously haven't found the right balance yet.  So far it seems like SLD has worked better for me when I wasn't restricting carbs as much.  I realize that others here have found the opposite to be true.  Low carb + SLD has been the answer.  Perhaps over time, the carb dilemma will become clearer for me.

I thought it would be fun to revisit my diet and exercise goals (that I've completely forgotten by now).
(From: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5891.0 )
1.† Focus on the freedom and ease aspects of the SLD diet.†
2.† Trust more.† Remain steady in trust rather than being swayed by changing emotions and life's ups and downs.
3.† Allow myself to thoroughly enjoy eating binges without guilt.† (Give up guilt and worry!!!)
4.† Get under 130 pounds and stay there.
5.† Add more variety to my exercise routines.
6.† Allow diet satisfaction and satiation to spread to other areas of my life.

I could use to work on #1 a bit more.†
#2 is going pretty well.†
#3 I was successful with during my vacation!†
#4 I have really surpassed and could probably use to revise.†
#5 is going well.†
#6 hasn't happened at all, but hey it's still early in the year.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Heidi 555

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »

I've had two interesting insights or realizations connected to nose clipping a lot of food.  The first is that I equate how healthy a food is through its flavor while I eat it.  Some of my recent confusion, around which foods are healthy and good for me, is due to the fact that I'm nose clipping and not tasting my food.  When I taste food I use flavor to form judgments and distinguish decadent food from food that I deem healthy and good.  Without flavor, whether or not something is good for me, becomes an abstract intellectual consideration, removed from the actual experience of eating it.  Thus I get confused over what foods are ďgoodĒ because Iíve lost my kinesthetic way to determine this.  Typically, I use flavor in combination with how a food makes me feel during and immediately after eating it, to form these conclusions.  Invariably ditto foods taste good but do not leave me feeling well.  The addictive nature of them leaves me craving and unsatisfied, until I stuff myself too full.  Healthy foods taste like theyíre good for me, and leave me feeling light, energized, and satisfied.   It seems as though Iíve evolved these subtle taste distinctions between something being delicious but not necessarily healthy, and something that both tastes and feels pure and good.

The second insight is that nose clipping so much of my food is causing me to lose some of my flavor calorie associations.  On a number of occasions I ate something that I was expecting to taste really good, but instead it tasted strange and unrecognizable.  For example, today I had a piece of chocolate covered candy of a brand that I hadnít had before, and I wasnít sure if I liked it.  It tasted like something foreign that Iíd never had before, and that Iíd have to try it again to even know if it was good.  I expected I would love it, and was surprised when it fell into the category of something that I needed to acquire a taste for.  Another time I had my husband try something because I couldnít tell if it was spoiled, or just me not being able to recognize the flavor. 

So far each time this has happened, it catches me by surprise.  Iíve been trying to determine some common denominator between the foods that Iím not recognizing.  It has me interested in returning to some kind of calorie flavor learning experiment like I was doing in this thread here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5932.0  The unlearning or extinguishing of associations is just as if not more fascinating than the learning.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Jasmyn

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:06 AM »

We certainly come in all shapes and sizes, but, it seems we are never happy with our bodies, which is sad.

Amen, sistah. I wonder if it was all the magazines and television ads we saw growing up, telling us that we needed to change something. It's also interesting that men don't seem to have this feeling about their bodies the way women do.  I haven't heard too many men ask "Honey, does my butt look big in this?"

Heidi 555

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »

Progress has been slow but steady.† Scale weight is a very unreliable indicator of how well SLD is working.†

Some time ago I bought a pair of tight stretch jeans for 50 cents at a used clothing store.† I brought them home and I donít even think I could pull them up, much less zipper them.† But I really liked them, and they only cost 50 cents.† So I stashed them in a suitcase with other clothes that no longer fit.† I completely forgot about them until the Shangri-la miracle diet.†

Well, on February 27, I wrote about fitting into those pants (and everything else in that stashed away suitcase).† All my inspiration clothes fit.† But those jeans were really tight and sexy, and even though they fit I didnít feel comfortable wearing them.†

Then yesterday, I weighed myself on 2 different scales and they both said I had gained a bit of weight from 2 weeks ago (the last time I checked).† Perhaps Iíve gained muscle and lost fat, which is fine by me.† I feel as though SLD is helping to change my body in positive ways, even though itís not being reflected on the scales at the moment.† Today, I had an inexplicable urge to try on those tight 50-cent jeans.† Low and behold they were no longer tight.† They fit comfortably with plenty of room to breathe.† I now feel comfortable wearing them!†

A second pair of inspiration pants are no longer an inspiration.† I remember years ago when they were my favorite jeans for a very short time.† I had lost 20 pounds and dipped ever so briefly into the 120ís.† Then they shrunk and I gained weight and they sat in that suitcase.† Now they are too loose and donít look all that great.† Theyíve been relegated to second class beat around and get dirty status.

I fixate on pants because all my fat is lower body weight.† When my pants fit differently, I know my body fat has changed.† I keep losing upper body weight but I donít want to lose it there.† I donít care about being able to see and count ribs.† But there they are.†

Iíve been exercising a lot recently.† I want to exercise.† It feels good.† Itís definitely a spring fever kind of thing.† SLD in combination with exercise is changing and rearranging my body in great ways.† †Before SLD when I would exercise my body would get stockier Ė I was not thrilled with the changes.† Now Iím perpetually happy with my body.† I really donít have a scale weight goal.† Every time I lower my ticker weight, I lower my goal.† I donít really care what I weigh.† Itís how my body looks that matters.† Seeing more muscle and less fat sure is nice.† A good thing keeps getting better.† F**k the scale!  :D
I'm 5' 4.5"

VeganKitten

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »

that's FANTASTIC!  :D

All my excess fat is in my lower body... I don't think there's any left to spare above my waist. It's so encouraging to hear that this is working so well for "those stubborn areas" !

Heidi 555

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »

All my excess fat is in my lower body... I don't think there's any left to spare above my waist.
†That's exactly how I feel!† I don't want to look top emaciated and bottom fat.† I'm navigating uncharted territory.† My body has never lost this much before.† I feel like my body is shrinking.† People keep commenting on how small I am.† I don't ever remember people referring to me as small before SLD.

It's so encouraging to hear that this is working so well for "those stubborn areas" !
knock wood Ė they aren't gone yet!
I'm 5' 4.5"

Elli

• Carpe diem :)
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2008, 06:24:36 AM »

Progress has been slow but steady.† Scale weight is a very unreliable indicator of how well SLD is working.†

Some time ago I bought a pair of tight stretch jeans for 50 cents at a used clothing store.† I brought them home and I donít even think I could pull them up, much less zipper them.† But I really liked them, and they only cost 50 cents.† So I stashed them in a suitcase with other clothes that no longer fit.† I completely forgot about them until the Shangri-la miracle diet.†

Well, on February 27, I wrote about fitting into those pants (and everything else in that stashed away suitcase).† All my inspiration clothes fit.† But those jeans were really tight and sexy, and even though they fit I didnít feel comfortable wearing them.†

Then yesterday, I weighed myself on 2 different scales and they both said I had gained a bit of weight from 2 weeks ago (the last time I checked).† Perhaps Iíve gained muscle and lost fat, which is fine by me.† I feel as though SLD is helping to change my body in positive ways, even though itís not being reflected on the scales at the moment.† Today, I had an inexplicable urge to try on those tight 50-cent jeans.† Low and behold they were no longer tight.† They fit comfortably with plenty of room to breathe.† I now feel comfortable wearing them!†

A second pair of inspiration pants are no longer an inspiration.† I remember years ago when they were my favorite jeans for a very short time.† I had lost 20 pounds and dipped ever so briefly into the 120ís.† Then they shrunk and I gained weight and they sat in that suitcase.† Now they are too loose and donít look all that great.† Theyíve been relegated to second class beat around and get dirty status.

I fixate on pants because all my fat is lower body weight.† When my pants fit differently, I know my body fat has changed.† I keep losing upper body weight but I donít want to lose it there.† I donít care about being able to see and count ribs.† But there they are.†

Iíve been exercising a lot recently.† I want to exercise.† It feels good.† Itís definitely a spring fever kind of thing.† SLD in combination with exercise is changing and rearranging my body in great ways.† †Before SLD when I would exercise my body would get stockier Ė I was not thrilled with the changes.† Now Iím perpetually happy with my body.† I really donít have a scale weight goal.† Every time I lower my ticker weight, I lower my goal.† I donít really care what I weigh.† Itís how my body looks that matters.† Seeing more muscle and less fat sure is nice.† A good thing keeps getting better.† F**k the scale!† :D

Truly amazing to see your appreciation and positivity towards your body,
which I look up to.

By the way Heidi, I know you tried many variety of nose-clipped food,
and have done so not only for the sake of lowering your set point but also
to discover and experiment. And how do you find the relationship between
blandness of a meal and AS? I tried nose-clipped meals several times and
some strong flavored foods still carried such a variety of flavors (or at least
sensations on my tongue) that it was almost like tasting a real thing. Do you
think our brain would consider those sensations as flavors and thus re-establish
the calorie-flavor association or merely ignore them? If former is the case,
you may be on the right track about giving as much variety as possible.

I haven't noticed any extra AS benefits from nose-clipped meals yet, but I'm
enjoying the experience itself. It's like a whole different dimension. I would
still like to know if blender nose-clipped food would bring greater AS though.
What do you think?

Heidi 555

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2008, 07:27:09 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I last posted on this thread.† SLD has continued to cruise along slow but sure.† I'm so use to nose clipping it's become a way of life.† I forgot that I was only going to nose clip most of my food for only a short time period.† I've become comfortable with nose clipping as a lifestyle change.† I don't miss or crave flavors.† I eat as much as I want, which is usually until I feel full and satisfied.† I'm not so focused on losing weight at the moment, though I think I've continued to very slowly lose.† My focus is more on fitness and toning.†

I'm happy with what I weigh, so more loss is just extra icing on an already delicious cake.† I think because the nose clipping has been so easy and habitual for me, I'm able to trust that my body will settle at the weight that feels best for it/me.† On occasion I have an unclipped pig out.† I posted somewhere about a meal where I ate about 5 desserts!† I don't in anyway feel deprived.† I actually feel less deprived than pre SLD days when I consumed food with more guilt.† So for all the people who think nose clipping = deprivation, it's been Shangri-la freedom for me.

Truly amazing to see your appreciation and positivity towards your body, which I look up to.
Elli, I think you'll find that for yourself, too.† Because you really want it.

By the way Heidi, I know you tried many variety of nose-clipped food, and have done so not only for the sake of lowering your set point but also to discover and experiment. And how do you find the relationship between blandness of a meal and AS? I tried nose-clipped meals several times and some strong flavored foods still carried such a variety of flavors (or at least sensations on my tongue) that it was almost like tasting a real thing. Do you think our brain would consider those sensations as flavors and thus re-establish the calorie-flavor association or merely ignore them? If former is the case, you may be on the right track about giving as much variety as possible.
Meals are bland in terms of flavor, but not in terms of texture, taste, or enjoyment.† I'm not sure what my brain as done, because I imagine it's now so muddled in terms of flavor calorie associations.† But I think flavor calorie associations are linked only to flavor and calories.† In my experience taste and other sensations don't count that much.† They are too generalized.† Flavor is very specific.† SLD works.† My set point stays lowered, though not as dramatically as it did to begin with.

I love variety with all things in life, and also feel like a varied diet is healthier.† My reasons for nose clipped variety are health and pleasure.† Nose clipping has continued to work well for me so I just keep sticking with it.† Perhaps down the road I'll cut back, give it up, and/or switch to oil.† But I'm not there yet.

I haven't noticed any extra AS benefits from nose-clipped meals yet, but I'm enjoying the experience itself. It's like a whole different dimension. I would still like to know if blender nose-clipped food would bring greater AS though. What do you think?
Perhaps because you have good AS from the oil, nose clipping food is unnecessary.† If your AS diminishes then you might notice a difference.† At first I thought that different things gave more AS than others.† But now the differences seem slight and not worth bothering with.† The long term healthy lifestyle changes are what's most important.† I use to think that I got greater AS from foods that were unrecognizable to me when nose clipped.† That ditto foods didn't give as good AS.† But the ditto foods are loaded with calories, so they compensate in that way.† I don't think blending is necessary, but for someone else nose clipping a smaller amount, blending might make a difference.

I'm 5' 4.5"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »

Heidi, this is very interesting:

The second insight is that nose clipping so much of my food is causing me to lose some of my flavor calorie associations.  On a number of occasions I ate something that I was expecting to taste really good, but instead it tasted strange and unrecognizable.  For example, today I had a piece of chocolate covered candy of a brand that I hadnít had before, and I wasnít sure if I liked it.  It tasted like something foreign that Iíd never had before, and that Iíd have to try it again to even know if it was good.  I expected I would love it, and was surprised when it fell into the category of something that I needed to acquire a taste for.  Another time I had my husband try something because I couldnít tell if it was spoiled, or just me not being able to recognize the flavor.

What are some other examples? Were you eating the "chocolate covered candy of a brand that I hadn't had before" with or without noseclips?

It isn't obvious what's going on here. Since you don't experience smells when nose-clipping, it's unlikely you'd unlearn smell-calorie associations. But apparently something has changed...

Heidi 555

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2008, 04:50:12 AM »

Seth, this has continued to occur randomly for me, but I can't off the top of my head remember other examples.† I'll pay attention and post next time it happens.† It's always without nose clips and doesn't happen too much, because I nose clip most of the time.† The food that I regularly don't clip tends to very familiar to me Ė like lots of fresh fruit.† Iíll pay attention when it happens and post other examples.† It feels as though some unlearning has occurred.† Lots of flavors that have been heavily reinforced are still remembered, but flavors (or combos of flavors) that I have less experience with tend to be a bit strange or even unrecognizable.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »

Thanks, Heidi.

Heidi 555

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Seth, I remembered two examples.† On occasion I have Ricola cough drops.† I use to like the regular flavor more than the cherry flavor.† Now, since I've been nose clipping, the regular flavor no longer tastes good to me.† The flavor seems strange and I no longer like it.† But the cherry flavor is still recognizable and tastes good.†

I drink hot water with milk and a sweetener with nose clips, as a tea like beverage minus the tea.† One day I tried it without nose clips.† I thought it would be delicious, but I didn't like it at all. The milk tasted really strange to me.† In this example it's as if my body never had the opportunity to form a positive flavor/calorie association with this combination of flavors, even though I love it with the nose clips.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18