Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!  (Read 376102 times)

Heidi 555

Re: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 05:54:39 AM »

Jas, I don't do oil, just nose clipping.† I've noticed that AS tends to have a delayed effect, generally corresponding to what I did the day before.

I think there might be something more going on with SLD, than just weight loss due to lowered set point, AS, and eating less.† Some people have great AS but then don't lose weight.†

I also think that some people need a lot more flavorless calories in order to actually lose weight.† For me right now it appears that nose clipping 50% gives great maintenance, allowing me to eat as much as I want, without gaining.† If I'm careful about what I eat, then perhaps I don't have to nose clip so much.† In order to lose more weight, I think I need to nose clip a higher percentage.†

I also did CFF while in Florida, both with meals and in between.† There was a lemon tree at the house my parents were renting, so it was very easy to add lemon juice to my water.† Not sure if that made a big difference or not.†
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Heidi 555

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

Iíve been meaning to write an update on what Iím doing.  I just saw that Seth has posted about me on his blog (thanks Seth), and that motivated me to actually do it. 

I feel like Iím now in phase 2 of my SLD nose clipping experience.  I achieved my initial goal of getting and maintaining my weight under 130 pounds.  Iíve come to appreciate the positive aspects of a set point, in that my set point held rock steady during my vacation.  I ate voraciously and did not gain.  However, I also felt that if I wanted to lose still more weight, then I needed to up the nose-clipping ante. 

Iíve been having a really nice exchange with Darkhorse on this thread here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5501.30  She has been taking the oil AND nose clipping a lot.  I said:
My theory is that for most people, in order to keep losing weight, one needs to keep increasing the percentage of flavorless calories one is consuming. Which means that at some point you have to add in nose clipping and/or crazy spicing, because otherwise you would end up consuming too much oil. I also think that it takes a lot more flavorless calories to stimulate the set point to lower, than it does to maintain a desired set point. In other words, you might have to consume a high percentage of flavorless calories for a period of time, to stimulate your set point to lower. But then once you have stabilized at that lowered set point, a lower percentage of flavorless calories (perhaps just oil) would be enough to maintain it. I'm thinking of basic physics principles. Things in motion tend to stay in motion. It takes more energy to get something not in motion to move. And lots of energy to get something to change and move in the opposite direction.

I think consuming a large percentage of flavorless calories is understandably hard for most people. But perhaps it would be easier to approach it in short increments. Maybe it helps to think of it as a flavor fast. Perhaps consuming a lot of flavorless calories for just a few weeks might be manageable. Then go back to some kind of maintenance, and hopefully retain a new slightly lowered set point and weight.

My body has really adapted to nose clipping.† I knew I could keep nose clipping half of my calories, wait out the plateau, and then perhaps I would lose a bit more.† Or I could just go for it, by nose clipping most everything I ate for a short period of time.† I also contemplated combining SLD with another diet, but realized that nose clipping would be easier.†

So Iíve been nose clipping 2 meals a day.† I eat a snack or two each day without clips.† (I went away again on a shorter trip, where I only nose clipped some of my meals, so things have been a bit broken up.)† It takes 2 or 3 days for my appetite to settle down and respond to the increased nose clipping.† Initially, it seems as though thereís some body rebellion to that much nose clipping.† My appetite even seems to increase.† But now thereís a feeling of increased calm.† Itís like all appetite cravings have settled down and relaxed their constant clamoring for more.† Itís such a relief.† This feeling of dietary calm has me gratefully wanting to†nose clip more.

During phase 1, I experienced lots of thirst, feelings of weakness, nausea, and other subtle SLD side effects.† I happily tolerated those effects, because I knew they meant SLD was really working.† Now in phase 2, I am not experiencing those effects.† Just an overall calm and needing to eat much less.† Iím also not sure how much of this is attributable to SLD, but I am experiencing more vitality than I have in years.† Iíve struggled with some long-term health issues, which typically leave me with low energy and feeling easily depleted.† I donít want to jinx myself, but Iím feeling the best I have in a long, long time.† Iíve been sleeping really well.† On the occasional night when I donít sleep well, I can function on a small amount of sleep.† Previously, I would be a wreck on too little sleep.† I also seem to be able to function well when I havenít eaten much.† During phase 1, I did not feel this way.† My health is markedly better now.†

I know people have attributed these kinds of effects to the oil.† Iím wondering if perhaps these effects are related to SLD chemical/hormonal changes in the body.† Clearly, more research and more experience are necessary.† I suppose some of the positive effects Iím experiencing could be from the weight loss itself.† However, SLD has truly been life changing for me, on many more levels than just the weight loss itself.

Iíve lost a bit more weight, but Iím waiting for the loss to stabilize before updating my ticker.† I now fit into all my inspiration clothes.† I went to a used clothing store today and bought a bunch of tight teenage style pants.† Iím 46 years-old and Iíve never dressed in clothes like this before.† I never had a body that looked good in these kinds of clothes.† I went to a yoga class today, and did a yoga pose that I couldnít even conceive of my body being able to do.† Iíve only done very basic yoga, and this was some advanced twisting, balancing, inverted kind of thing.† I was astounded and thrilled that my body could do it.† The teacher recognized that it was a big breakthrough for me.† I know 10 pounds has made a big difference, but it also seems like thereís more than that going on here.† I canít explain it.† But I sure am grateful.†

I feel like some kind of SLD gospel preacher, sharing the good news of the 2nd coming. :)† My friends now see me as some kind of diet guru Ė mostly because Iím so educated about the newest diets from reading the posts and links on this forum.† Thanks to all of you for the great ongoing education, support, and exchange.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

VeganKitten

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »

I now fit into all my inspiration clothes ...

WOW. Thanks for the inspirational post! I'm back from 9 days vacation without SLD, but determined to make it into MY inspiration clothes this spring.

:D

Heidi 555

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »

Hi VeganKitten Ė thanks for your support.  It will be nice to hear an update on how and what youíre doing.  Did you see the post on Dessyís thread directed to you where she posted about vegan brownies? http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6059.msg64440#msg64440

I thought Iíd give another update.  My current motto for SLD and life is consistency, patience, and variety.

Iíd been nose clipping all my meals for a week or two.  Eating definitely became monotonous nose clipping so much!  But in some ways it was easier, having all food cravings settle down.  I lost a bit of weight, but some of it in places where I donít need to lose it. :shock: My body really wants to hold onto those last pounds of lower body fat.  Iím not surprised that itís slower going since Iím so close to my goal.  Iíve gone back to eating some meals unclipped, as I think some inconsistency might work better.  Iíve been consistent with exercising regularly, but trying to really vary my routine and the kinds of exercise I do.  My body seems really happy with that.  So Iím trying to do the same thing with diet.  Be patient and consistent with nose clipping and healthy eating, but also change things around a lot. 

Iíve been really happy with my body.  I think the happiest Iíve ever been with it.  Iím really trying to hold that good feeling focus.  Itís all too easy to slip into a mind set of needing to lose a few more pounds.  I remind myself to feel good about the great body that I have now. 

My husband was commenting on how heís noticed how much happier Iíve been, and that Iíve been able to move through difficulties easier and come back to a positive perspective.  I really needed to hear that as itís been a really challenging winter, with a continual onslaught of problems to navigate.  SLD has been a shining light for me, during an otherwise dark time.

I confess that still haven't had the nerve to wear my new sexy tight pants.  I modeled them for my husband and of course he loved them.  They're so low cut that you see the top of your butt when you sit down. :shock: My husband doesn't think that's a problem.  He says it's like seeing cleavage. Another male friend advises me that I need to wear a thong with that kind of pant.  He said seeing the top of the thong really drives men wild.  I'm over my head and out of my league with this.  But it sure is fun playing dress up with these kinds of clothes.  Maybe someday soon I'll have the nerve to wear them.  For most of my life I've worn baggy clothes and kept my body hidden.
I'm 5' 4.5"

CC

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »

Heidi , you are truly an inspiration. Thank you for your candor and honesty. And congrats on your "new" body. I truly miss the feeling you describe in your last post.  I had always been thin (105-110) @ 5'4 until I hit menopause 5 years ago and it seemed as though everything just shut down. I'm 56. No matter how hard I tried to lose... all I did was gain.  I reached my highest weight ever in my life... 170lbs and was so devestated I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. (I too live the in the cold north... NH instead of VT) I finanlly discovered that one of my problems was that my thyroid had been out of wack and so I started taking kelp again which I couldn't before because it gave me such bad hot flashes.  My husband has been very understanding but to make matters worse, he is in great shape for 69 (looks 55) and eats ANYTHIING he wants.

When I found SLD last year, (I just realized that I signed on to SLD a year ago tomorrow) I really had hoped it was the answer to my prayers. I wish I had more weight loss to show for the year but the good thing is that I have lost 13lbs (was 15 but I gained 2 back.)
But probably the most baffling thing is that the diet worked miracles for me in the beginning... almost to the point I couldn't believe my eyes. Then as fast as the weight came off... it just stopped.  In fact I think I gained back everything I lost.  I was TOTALLY frustrated  and I couldn't seem to turn it around. I was doing exactly what I had done when it was coming off... then wham-O it just stopped.  So I dropped out of the program for a while and started with the oil again in mid-Jan 2008. Since then I've lost the 15 lbs. And now for the last 2 weeks it seems to have stopped again.  After reading yours and the many other postings on noseclipping... I thought... hey this is EXACTLY what I need.  I  seem to stuggle with the timing of the oil and the logistics of carrying it with me etc etc.  So I started NC with my cottage cheese lunch today and was surprised how easy it was to do.  Like you... I'm a texture food person and eating after dinner is my huge downfall.  If I can still eat food even though my NC... I think I can turn off the cravings and hopefully turn up the weight loss.   
Thanks again for your insight and experimenting.... I think you've hit a bullseye!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »

I confess that still haven't had the nerve to wear my new sexy tight pants.† I modeled them for my husband and of course he loved them.† They're so low cut that you see the top of your butt when you sit down.† My husband doesn't think that's a problem.† He says it's like seeing cleavage. Another male friend advises me that I need to wear a thong with that kind of pant. † He said seeing the top of the thong really drives men wild.†

That is known as a "whale tail"† †:lol:

I don't think I could go around with my butt sticking out of my pants.† I would constantly be trying to hike my pants up.† †:lol:
Or I would be afraid of having a "muffin top" too. (that's when your pants are so tight, your love handles bulge out and it looks like a muffin.)

Boy the things you can learn from your kids.† :shock:† † :lol:† :lol:† :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Heidi 555

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »

Hi CC - thanks for your long and kind response.† It seems like there's a number of women like you, for whom SLD works and then stops.† It seems like there should be some way to keep it working.† I'm hopeful that the nose clipping might be that way.† And I'm glad that you're going to give it a try.† It's amazing that you stayed so thin for so long.† Female hormones are a bummer.† I've been so looking forward to menopause because I have such a hard time with TOM.†

Also, it's nice to meet someone who lives in my part of the world.† What part of NH are you from?† I'm in southern VT.† If you're anywhere close by, or if you ever pass through my area, I'd be happy to get together for lunch or tea.†

Good luck and I hope this IS the bullseye for you.† Keep me posted on if it works or not.

Karky- thanks so much for the education.† I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm needing to learn these things.† I don't know how I got to be so old and unhip.† It really sneaks up on you.† And not having kids makes you even more out of it.† At least you have children to keep you abreast of the current reality.† I also really appreciate your sense of humor and ability to not take yourself so seriously.† I was bragging about you to my husband and another friend.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »

life is too short to be serious.† 8)

I don't know how I got to be so old and unhip.

I know how I got old and unhip.
I had kids.† :lol:
They tell me old and unhip I am all the time† :lol:† :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

CC

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »

Thanks Heidi for you support and encouragement.† I did seem to rattle on a bit... but I guess that's part of being so OBSESSESSED! and frustrated with not getting results!† AND to add insult toinjury...in the past when I† put my mind to something.... I could usually figure it out or conquer it... BUT this weight thing is a whole other story.† Maybe that's because I† never really had to "work" at it before... It's just a whole new world for me.†

I started this morning with NC cottage cheese.† I found that since I'm not tasting it... it takes more effort to eat without breathing.† AND I don't seem to eat as much because I really don't want as much. (Yeah! that's a good thing† :lol:)† You have given me hope that I can get control of this beast! THANKS!!!!

And Heidi thanks too, for the offer for us to meet... you are very sweet.† We are up in the middle of the state... in the North Country woods over looking Lake Winnipausakee. I think we are probably quite a distance from each other even though we are "neighbors".† †The coyotes woke us up last night screaming at some prey they trapped or were trying to get.† We also have Moose, Black bear, Red fox, rabbitt and lots of deer. And even with all the rain we've had recently... we still have TONS OF SNOW!† But who knows... maybe when the time is right... we can get together! Thanks again for the offer.† I wish you continued success with the "new you".† I'm so happy for you!

shovelqueen

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »

Heidi, and CC,

Never give up hope.  Magpie and I managed to get together for a great afternoon of yacking last Sept., and she lives in Sydney, Australia, and me in Central Ontario. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

MsPriss

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

I have a question.
Why don't you have to have the 2 hour window after eating with your nose clipped?
Ms P.

I have changed my immediate goal.  I'm now working towards an overweight BMI
instead of obese.  Then I'll go on from there.

Heidi 555

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2008, 04:50:49 AM »

CC - I didn't think that you rattled on.† I really appreciated the length of your post!† I totally understand your frustration.† I spent years not being able to lose those last 10-15 pounds.† Diets and exercise didn't work.† I would feel as though I was starving myself, and was hungry all the time.† I would lose a few measly pounds, and then slowly gain it back.† It was not a fun cycle.† Until I found SLD I had essentially given up.† But even with SLD patience and kindness towards oneself is essential.

I found that the nose clipping got easier over time.† There's definitely a learning curve with it.†

I grew up in Maine and my father was from Berlin, NH.† My folks see tons of moose and other animals when they go to Moosehead lake.† They love giving me the animal counts of what they saw.† I occasionally see a moose around here, and it's always exciting.† Wish I could hear coyotes.† I live in town, but go for lots of hikes in the woods during the better half of the year.† I am not a winter person.† I can't wait for it all to melt.† I long for the fresh smell of earth with little shoots pushing up.

I pray that the nose clipping works like a charm for you.† Keep me posted.

I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2008, 04:54:53 AM »

Ms P. - if you are only nose clipping a small amount of food, then I would suggest that you observe the 2 hour window.  When nose clipping a large percentage of your diet, then I don't think it's as necessary to be so careful.  Although most of the time one will tend to observe it without trying, if one nose clips entire meals. 
I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 05:51:41 AM »

Iíd been nose clipping all my meals for a week or two.† Eating definitely became monotonous nose clipping so much!† But in some ways it was easier, having all food cravings settle down.† I lost a bit of weight, but some of it in places where I donít need to lose it.† My body really wants to hold onto those last pounds of lower body fat.† Iím not surprised that itís slower going since Iím so close to my goal.† Iíve gone back to eating some meals unclipped, as I think some inconsistency might work better.

Well, I only ended up eating two meals unclipped.† It's just plain easier to nose clip all my meals, but eat unclipped snacks.† Once in awhile I go out to eat, and don't nose clip.† †I did lose some upper body weight when I would prefer to lose only lower body weight, but I'm also losing lower body weight, too.††(Now I'll have to develop my upper body muscles more. :shock:)† Either weight loss has picked up some, or I've lost enough incrementally that it's noticeable.†

On a daily basis I'm not really missing the taste of food.† I eat as much as I want whenever I'm hungry, and eat until I'm satisfied and full.† †It's much easier to attain satisfaction and fullness when wearing nose clips.† Without them I crave different flavors, and eat beyond the point of comfortable fullness.† Feeling satisfaction and fullness, and being able to eat as much as I want, is much more important to me than flavor.† I feel as though I eat a lot, because I live with a feeling of eating satisfaction.† Usually I eat two meals a day, but if I'm hungry I'll eat a third.† I'm still surprised that I continue to lose weight without going hungry.† Previous to SLD, weight loss equaled perpetual starvation.

I really wish that I had started SLD with measurements and a scale.† If I could do it over again, I would have kept careful records.† Last night I put on a pair of pants that had been snug before I started SLD.† I was ridiculously swimming in them.† Even though I've only lost a relatively small amount of pounds, the sizes I've dropped are significant.† I look forward to posting before and after pictures sometime in the future.

I still don't know what I want to weigh, and I keep inching my goal weight downward.† After a lifetime of not weighing what I wanted, the idea that I can choose my weight is a stupendous dream for my mind to grasp.† All along I've been hopeful, but not daring to believe in it, until it becomes real and lasting.† But now I live with feeling happiness with my body, and that feeling is a priceless gift.† Whether I gain or lose a few more pounds, it's that good feeling with my physical being that I most want to maintain.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

minuet

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:47 AM »

.† †I did lose some upper body weight when I would prefer to lose only lower body weight, but I'm also losing lower body weight, too.††(Now I'll have to develop my upper body muscles more. :shock:)†

Hi Heidi,

I happened to see your post about losing weight where you donít need to.† This is happening to me and it is a bit annoying.† I am shrinking below the waist mostly, although arms and back are smaller, too, but my waist is very stubborn.† I am 5í4Ē, and when I stretch up, I look better, but itís awfully hard to walk around in a stretched position.† We certainly come in all shapes and sizes, but, it seems we are never happy with our bodies, which is sad.

On another note, just wanted to mention that nose-clipping is going great for me, too.† Even though I though at first it was strange, it is becoming so habitual for me now that I think I will always consider it one of my little tricks--one of the many things I do that few know about.  Women are like that and it's just easier that way :wink:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18