Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nose clipping lots of food really works – it's easier!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Nose clipping lots of food really works – it's easier!  (Read 376101 times)

Jasmyn

Re: Nose clipping lots of food really works – it's easier!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 02:44:15 AM »

I love this!
Heidi, thank you for the detailed explanation of how you are doing things.  I want to try noseclipping most of my meals right away.

Question:  I have trouble eating actively chewed food, such as salad, with noseclips. Is this why you are eating the pureed vegetables?

Question 2: Are you rinsing your mouth with water after meals?

mpq: I had the noseclips sliping off. I blot my nose with a tissue to remove the oils. The nose clips no longer fly off my face. 
I also use the bubble nosed technique. Bubble nosing: I close off my throat and breathe through my mouth so I don't taste anything.

My update:
I lost a few of the seven holiday pounds I put on. I have been having good results with using the two hour window. It would be great for me to not use rules. The two hour window is a real pain. 

What I have been doing:
Before bed: 2 tablespoons of extra light olive oil
Breakfast: 1/2 cup bubblenosed cottage cheese
Lunch: 3 ounces bubble nosed turkey breast or chicken breast
Repeat cottage cheese and turkey meals through the day as needed for hunger.
Dinner: Whatever I want. 

I find I eat less at dinner when I have these tasteless protein meals through the day. I also tend to not snack after dinner, which is my downfall.

Great post, Heidi.
Jas

Heidi 555

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:23 AM »

Linabeena - I'm sure you read about how my husband laughed at me.  I would like to have the nerve to nose clip in public some day...

I like the idea of not being too rigid and experimenting with the noseclipping.  Just the act of wearing the noseclip makes you pay more attention to what you eat, when and how much, and that alone is a good thing.

I agree!

Jasmyn - I don't have trouble with chewing food, but others do.  I did have trouble with drinking liquids, but it seems to be gradually improving.  Maybe practice will help with the chewing???  Nose clips help you to eat more slowly and thoughtfully.  I am getting better at eating faster with them, but I don't think that's such a good thing.

I usually just drink some water before removing them.  Though now I'm experimenting with celery and other calorie free flavors (CFF) such as herbal tea.  See my previous post and this link: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4361.0 for an explanation.

Snacking after dinner seems to be everybody's most common downfall.  I had a nose clipped snacking binge last night, but it was the first one in a long time...

Glad you're joining us in this experiment.  With more people we can figure out the parameters what works best.  Plus it's more fun!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Linabeena

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »

You had a binge WITH the noseclip?!  That's a good thing though right?  And I'm envious of your willpower to put on a clip for after dinner snackin!  :)
I had my fresh squeezed juice for breakfast, then NC'd chicken and some lunchmeat at lunch.  So it probably wasn't enough calories.  I over ate sushi for dinner, BUT I was actually full way before I stopped eating... so another thing noticed even though I chose to ignore it and eat more.  And then something odd after dinner:  I was dying for a candybar.  I hardly EVER eat candybars.  I might go through a binge once or twice a year where I eat the for a week, but then nothing.  But for once I'm not kicking myself too hard... because I know that I will have no problem continuing to noseclip.

I was also thinking that it makes sense if the appetite suppression takes a little while to kick in.  If this is all in the primitive part of our brain, when we were cavemen or whatever, and there was  famine, I doubt it happened overnight.  It may not have taken weeks for nature to not offer lots of foods, but it probably also wasn't an instant overnight thing where suddenly, oh, no food!  So it would make sense that it takes severa day if not weeks for the brain to register that 'hey, food seems to be scarce, so I'd better tell the body that it doesn't need that much food right now".

Heidi 555

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »

You had a binge WITH the noseclip?!  That's a good thing though right?

I think so.  I figure it's way better to binge with nose clips than without.  It usually gives better AS the next day.  I'm trying to give my body/self as much permission as possible.  Permission works so much better than denial, and can be much kinder.  Nose clips allow me to give more permission to eat, even if eating is for emotional reasons.

BUT I was actually full way before I stopped eating... so another thing noticed even though I chose to ignore it and eat more.  And then something odd after dinner:  I was dying for a candybar.  I hardly EVER eat candybars.

I've been trying to sort out whether my body is craving the flavor or the thing.  Usually, my craving gets satisfied when I nose clip and eat the thing I'm craving.  Sometimes, (unfortunately) my craving moves onto something else.  When I crave something sweet, juicy, and fruity I notice that I really prefer to taste it.  So I try not to nose clip clementines, etc.

In my life, I try to move as much as I can in the direction of trusting my self/body.  It is healthy but difficult, to have a relationship of integrity, honesty, and trust with one self.  SLD has helped to keep the hunger monster at bay, and has been an amazing tool for increasing trust around eating issues, which is HUGE.  SLD is teaching me to eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm full.  And to feel and know what real hunger is.  Such a simple, basic and yet difficult thing: eat when hungry and stop when full, especially in the face of great temptation.  But as you keep pointing out, the awareness that we're not paying attention to our body's signals, is a huge step in the right direction.  Life seems like a perpetual act of reconditioning ourselves.  It's hard not to reinforce the old conditioned patterns, that don't serve us and aren't what we want.  That's why SLD is such a gift.  I try to remember the gift that it is, and not get obsessed by scales, numbers, calories, judgments about food, and a few pounds.  But it's a back and forth kind of dance.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

losing-it

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 06:51:18 AM »

That's why SLD is such a gift.  I try to remember the gift that it is, and not get obsessed by scales, numbers, calories, judgments about food, and a few pounds.  But it's a back and forth kind of dance. —Heidi

Shangri-La tango, o-o-o-o-o,
Step-stop-step, back and forth, o-o-o-o-o,
Turn around, then bend to pour, o-o-o-o-o,
Sip - and slide- the oil goes down - Merci! Alors:P

Heidi 555

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 07:53:38 AM »

Thanks for the laugh, losing-it.  Too bad your post didn't come with video and sound.  In my mind I pictured you very slim and happy, while you danced and sang your SLD ditty.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Linabeena

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »

THAT was an excellent post Heidi.

"It's hard not to reinforce the old conditioned patterns, that don't serve us and aren't what we want.  That's why SLD is such a gift."

It's way too easy to rely on old patterns as you say; it's comforting, it's what we know.  To not think about what we're doing or why we're doing it (i.e. snacking at night in bed etc.) is much easier than to take note of it and actually do something different.  I don't want to deprive myself either, and it took me awhile to start noseclipping because I thought, but I love food and I want to taste it!  But I also want to lose weight and therein is every dieter's dilemma.  For me, just doing the noseclipping helps me think about what I'm eating, when I'm eating and whether or not I'm really hungry.  So far, I seem to be as hungry as usual as far as how often I eat, but when I do eat, I get full faster.  Now it's just a matter of stopping when I'm full and not eat another bite until I'm actually hungry again, noseclipped or not.

Jasmyn

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »

That's one of the most difficult things for me to do --  stop eating when I am  full. It's the old feast and famine cycle that is embossed in my primitive brain. Eat when food is plentiful to store up fat for the possible upcoming famine. My primitive brain tells me that if food tastes bad, I should eat really fast so I can get it over with. And to eat as much as I can My brain tells me that if food tastes wonderful, especially if I have great company, to eat slowly and savor every bite. And to eat as much as I can. 

I wonder how much eating alone has to to with the weight problem that is so prevalent in America. In other countries, I am generalizing here,  but I would think that in Europe, people eat leisurely and communally and have friends over for dinner much more often than we do. In America a lot of us eat in the car. A lot of us eat alone.  Do we get obese because of not eating in a group?

Heidi 555

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:22 PM »

Lina and Jasmyn, thanks for your replies.  Currently, my weight loss has slowed down or plateaued.  I haven't been sleeping well, and that combined with cold snowy winter has me not exercising much.  I typically exercise a lot.  Also, I think because I lost weight, I also lost a HUGE part of my exercise motivation.  Much of my motivation to exercise was to lose or maintain my weight.  SLD has made me lazy.  But it's also a relief, (and perhaps just what I need) to be taking it easy right now.

As I mentioned yesterday on Jasmyn's thread, I've been contemplating whether to change things or be patient.  So far patience has won out.  I realized today that I'm content for now, with nose clipping a lot of food, even though I'm not losing weight.  I can't believe I'm saying this!  But I like all the other results from nose clipping, such as eating healthier, and the simplicity of having the whole food craving thing toned down.  There was the initial disappointment that my weight loss slowed down, but at the moment I feel content.  I've been preferring to nose clip most of my food.

Of course everything is going to change for me in one more week.  I'm going to Florida to visit my folks for 2 weeks.  The food temptations will be huge.  It's so hard not to regress when visiting family.  I have totally irrational fears about gaining back all the weight I've lost, and not being able to fit into any clothes that I'm bringing, and then having nothing to wear.  :)  It makes me see the humor in my fear when I write it down.  The weight loss still seems too magical and easy.  Hence the fear that one trip to Florida, and it might all disappear.  I can't wait for the warmth!  The cold is really tough on my body and spirit.
I'm 5' 4.5"

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

I haven't been sleeping well,

A lot of people around here, me included, have trouble losing when we aren't getting enough sleep. 
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

losing-it

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »

It's been cold here in Central Florida for the past week -- granted, nothing like the cold being experienced in the Northeast, etc...but cold enough to keep me indoors and not going to the gym (my old truck's heater doesn't work, and the windows are stuck -- one all the way open -- I'd have to wait until DH got home with the nice car). It warmed up this afternoon, and then this evening we had a heavy rainstorm...while I was out in the truck getting groceries, of course  :lol:

Hopefully, the weather will be balmy and warm for your visit with your folks, Heidi.

Jasmyn, I love your new picture!

Heidi 555

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »

Jasmyn - you look fantastic!  Your picture looks like a studio shot of a movie star.

Karky - usually that's the case for me, but my sleep problems started while I was losing weight.

Losing-it - I didn't realize you lived in Florida.  I'll be going to Anna Maria Island.  If you're not too far from there, and want to meet in person that would be really nice.  Your truck sounds like my car. 
I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

Greetings everyone from warm and beautiful Florida!  I'm having a great vacation and am dreading going back to Vermont.  The winters there are really hard on me.  Just a quick update, because it's too nice here to spend much time indoors.  I've been eating a ton, and way (weigh) more junkier food than I'm used to.  Nose clipped cheese cake is incredible!  I've been managing to nose clip maybe half of my calories.  I'd lost a bit more weight before I left, but I knew I'd be gaining even more, so I didn't bother to change my ticker.  It's the bloated time of the month, so I have no idea how much fat I've gained.  I'm exercising more, and thankfully my clothes still fit.  My mom took me shopping for lots of new clothes for my birthday.  So nice to buy new clothes when your size has changed.  (I didn't get a bikini.  I'm just not there yet.  Maybe something to aim for this summer.) 

My parents tolerate my nose clipping, but they always notice when my clips are still on, once I've finished eating.  Also, they don't want me to nose clip when anyone else is around.  I nose clipped in the airport - my first time in public.  It was hard, but I was glad I did it.  I'm having a hard time noticing the difference between nose clipped and not.  Flavors don't seem intense anymore.  I wish AS was more noticeable, my appetite has been too good.  More later...
I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

I'm back from my vacation.  There's a good steady snow storm to welcome my return - ugh. 

But the good news is that nose clipping worked way better than I expected.  Before I left I was working really hard to lose as much weight as I could.  I thought for sure that I would gain back a lot of weight, while staying with my folks.  But I only gained a pound, two at the most, and that might just be PMS bloat.  The nose clipping was much easier than I thought it would be.  I'm guessing that overall I nose clipped about half of my calories.  Typically, I nose clipped one meal a day.  (But one day I didn't nose clip anything.  And another day I noseclipped most everything I ate.) 

But boy did I eat and indulge in food.  I experienced an SLD freedom of pigging out bliss.  I ate more "junk" food and pastry than I have in years.  Once I realized that I wasn't gaining weight, I just went for it.  My dad would pull out barbecue potato chips and salted nuts for an evening snack, and I munched away with him.  I ate cheesecake, pies, brownies, chocolate, carrot cake etc. every single day.  Sometimes I ate the treats nose clipped and sometimes not.  I enjoyed it either way.  The difference between nose clipped and not, didn't seem that big to me.  Nose clipped cheesecake and brownies and chips still "taste" pretty good. :)  For one of my last meals there, I ate french fries (unclipped).  I haven't allowed myself to eat a plate of french fries in years.  I ate all of mine, and then polished off the rest of my parent's fries.  I still can't believe that I could eat so much forbidden food and not gain weight.  I never was able to do this before. 

I only noticed AS on the day after I nose clipped most everything I ate.  In order to lose weight, I think I need to nose clip more than 50% of my intake.  At the moment, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I've achieved my initial goal of getting and staying under 130 pounds.  And I've lost some of my fervor to lose more.  I think a lot of my drive was fear of gaining back weight.  I wanted more of a buffer, because in the past I always gained back some of what I lost.  Now that I'm back home, it's easy to noseclip most everything because there's no tempting junk around.  I'm kind of relishing in the lack of obsession to lose more.  I'm wondering what do I really want to eat.  I think I want to return to eating healthier, but indulging sure was fun.  SLD keeps delightfully turning upside down all my ideas and "shoulds" around diets and eating.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Jasmyn

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »

That's really interesting, Heidi.  Do you still take oil at all? What I am hearing is that you don't really get appetite suppression while you are nose-clipping; rather, the next day you have appetite suppression. Your impression is that you are not gaining weight because the nose-clipping lowers your set point and the food you eat doesn't "register" as calories?
Warm wishes,
Jas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18