Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!  (Read 376103 times)

Heidi 555

Re: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »

Hi danyelle, thanks for your post.† I've wondered about the long range success of this approach as well.† I try not to nose clip all of my food for this reason.† Perhaps if you can still smell or taste some of the time, it makes a big difference.† I also try not to eat or nose clip junk or ditto foods.† I initially tried to nose clip ditto foods as a way to extinguish my cravings for them.† But that didn't work for me.† See: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5835.0† Then I thought that bland was the way to go.† But I've been having such success so far (knock wood) with variety.† I guess time and more experimentation will tell.† If I start gaining weight, then I'll switch to a plain bland oil and sugar as you suggested.† †I appreciate your input and thinking around this.† Hope your mom decides to give SLD a try.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 07:32:09 AM »

Heidi, I really appreciated your post #10. First off I feel honored and happy that my inconsistent results were at least useful in inspiring someone else (I'd never guess that)...† :D
Yes, I said that, and I still remember that day. And how in the next days part of me wanted to wear the noseclip, and the other part resisted it and won.

Now that I've been doing it again, I came to a conclusion... maybe not what you'd expect.
I NCd most of my foods last Monday, Tuesday, and all so far today (now 15:00). Yesterday just BF, it was my darling son's birthday - the 21st† :D

The conclusion:
Noseclipping most foods gives me AS, true, primarily because I get very tired in the process of chewing and swallowing while I breathe through my mouth.
I suspected this from the start but I has the confirmation at lunch today. After a bowl of chicken broth and two small slices of bread with oilve oil and garlic, I was so tired I said to myself "I could use a little more food but nah, I quit".
Still I forced myself to a small slice of Nesquik Cake I baked last night (easy to make, super fluffy, I'll post the recipe)
I hadn't taken BF today, at all - my son's dinner out ended late and I went to bed too full and this morning I wasn't hungry.

Monday and Tuesday at BF I had just milk with oil, and like on other occasions before my stomach was growling well before lunch time - it's a long stretch from 7:30 to 13:00 with just milk, oil and a coffee.
So, yesterday morning I added Cerelac to the milk and oil, was perfectly OK at 13:00, ate just a half plate at the restaurant and by 18:00 I wasn't hungry at all!

This led me to another conclusion: I have no problem with liquid NC foods, just with the chewable ones.
Very soft mushes and yogurts are also easy to have.
But bread, cake, rice, veggies, fish (I practically don't eat meat) oooh it's a pain.

So, it would be a good idea to go on NC'ing most foods! The liquid ones, i get AS from no flavor. The solid ones i get AS from getting tired of eating. Of course, liquid foods are more enjoyable for me.

Your post #10 was very inspirational! For example, baby food veggies! Gotta try that, or I risk getting no veggies or fruit. Well, I can puree apples, pears and bananas, drink juices etc.

And the idea of it working even without the 2 hour window is great, in fact I tried it yesterday morning, it's wonderful to have BF a bit later, and have coffee half an hour later, maybe that's not so harmful after all and as you say it's very freeing† :)

Now I 'd really love to see results, in fact I'm a pound up but it can be PMS water retention. I'm in the same BMI /wieght range as you Heidi and our goal is similar too. I haven't gotten down any dress size, though clothes aren't so snug now. I need motivation, since so far I don't get as much pleasure from NC foods as you do. Well maybe I'll get more practice and start enjoying it more. Or, I could puree everything but that's not practical.† :?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Heidi 555

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 05:24:03 PM »

Pinkmug Ė I really enjoyed your post.  Itís so interesting that I have the opposite nose-clipping problem as you do.  I find liquids much harder to take than solids.  I have to sip a small amount, wait to swallow it, then sip again.  No problem when Iím slowly sipping a nice hot cup of tea.  But when Iím trying to quickly drink some water, so that I can clear my mouth, and then take the nose clips off, I get really impatient.  It just takes so much longer.  Weíre like folks in the nursing home.  You need your food pureed, and I need my liquids thickened so that I can swallow them without choking.  Lol!  Old folks get exhausted from the exertion of chewing, too! 

Iím impressed that you nose clipped most of your food, for so many days.  Great job, especially given how hard it is/was for you.  I hope the scales pay back your efforts soon!  Definitely, getting good results ups the pleasure factor of the nose clipping.  If you get really good results, then I bet you wonít mind it so much.  So I hope a downward slide kicks in for you, and that your clothes keep loosening.  (My weight is always much less after Iím through with PMS and TOM.  I figure I feel really good for a week or so and then it starts all over again.  I canít wait for menopause!)

Just for the record, I wouldnít be nose clipping if I didnít have to, to lose weight.  Itís the eating that gives me pleasure, and I still have that pleasure even with nose clips.  In other words, the pleasure isnít in the flavor of foods, but in the texture, sensations, tastes, and feeling of fullness and satisfaction that eating brings.  Relative to any other diet, nose clipping is a mild inconvenience that Iím happy to tolerate.  But itís not fun in and of itself.  I have to make it fun. 

I think a person can be flexible with the 2 hour window, as long as theyíre nose clipping enough food to insure good results.  I think if you nose clip most of your food, then the 2 hour window becomes a small negligible thing compared to the amount of flavorless calories one is consuming.

Iíve also came up with a new little technique that I think might be really helpful.  Itís a spin off from the New Application of Theory -- Extinguishing Conditioned Reinforcer (flavor) thread: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4361.0 , where people consume something with strong flavor but no calories during and in between meals.  Iíve wanted to try that, but I donít have a calorie-less beverage that I consume regularly.  When I remove my nose clips, Iíve noticed that I only tend to have a linger smell/taste of the last food I consumed.  So I thought, why not make that last food something without calories.  So at the end of my nose clipping, Iíve been eating a small amount of celery.  It cleanses my palate, and then leaves me with a lingering celery flavor.  Iíve even been taking my clips off in the middle of eating it.  Hopefully, my body has a very strong ingrained association of celery being calorie-less.  And that it will retain that association as long as I continue to eat celery by itself, as well as at the end of nose clipped meals.  Maybe Iíll also try it with lemon water, or herbal teas.  Seth said on the Extinguishing Conditioned Reinforcer (flavor) thread: ďyeah, that would be the way to do it. You can think of the Kool-Aid as soaking up some of the dangerous (i.e., fattening) calorie signals generated by the meal and then getting rid of their dangerous byproduct -- a flavor-calorie association -- by having the Kool-Aid between meals without calories.Ē† Hopefully, it will have that effect with nose clipping, too.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »

Heidi, you're a genius!! That's a wonderful idea, have CFFs at the end of a NC meal!! I'm trying that ASAP!  :D

P.S. I'm a pound down today, so there's hope! Me too I can't wait for menopause, I'm tired of inflating and deflating every month like a balloon.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

DarnYankee

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »

I just can't nose clip and eat.  It feels like the food gets stuffed into my ear canals.  It doesn't, but somehow it just feels that way.

Heidi 555

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

Pinkmug - congrats on being down a pound, especially during PMS.† Hopefully it's the start of this really working for you.† Nose clipping a lot of food has been so successful for me, it just seems like it should be really successful for others.†

Darn Yankee - there might be a learning curve with nose clipping.† My ears would get uncomfortably blocked at first, when I tried to swallow liquids.† Now that doesn't happen.† Maybe experiment a bit more and see if it changes for you.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Linabeena

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »

Question for Heidi:  somewhere on this board I read that with noseclipping, you don't have to worry about the two hour window.  Even though I'll be noseclipping breakfast for sure, and hopefully lunch as much as possibe, there are foods in the morning I really like tasting.  Or a beverage actually.  I juice fruits and veggies every morning, not just because it's healthy, but because I love the taste.  So I'm wondering if you've experimented with eating something and tasting it, and then, maybe 10 minutes later eating a full meal noseclipped?  Or simply put, can you eat or drink non-NC foods  closely before or after your noseclipped meals?

And oh, I'm too wary yet to attritube this to the noseclipping I did yesterday (my very first day) simply because it's too good to be true, but after noseclipping my breakfast, NOT noseclipping lunch (a salad with turkey, beans, blue cheese dressing.... i.e. not low-cal), I couldn't finish my non-noseclipped dinner AND I didn't snack the rest of the evening (I'm wary of even putting exclamation marks after that sentence.... I want to, but I won't :-).  I made salmon with a nice creamy tarragon sauce for dinner.  I dont' know how many ounces it was, but normally I would have eaten the whole thing, and especially because the sauce made it so damn good.  That's how I normally eat.... if it's supergood, I just keep eating.  And then, no snacking.  That's weird and wonderful!

Linabeena

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

Heidi, I have a question for you. How do you wear your noseclip? Mine slips off, and no I don't really have an overly large nose.  :D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Heidi 555

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »

Linabeena, congratulations (and knock wood) on your immediate nose clipping success.† I hope it continues that way for you, though daily fluctuations are natural.† I wish you were cooking for me, your food sounds delicious!

I have found that once my appetite suppression was well established, that a lot of the SLD details and rules didnít seem very significant.† My basic approach is to be fluid, flexible, and make things as easy as possible.† I have eaten and drunk non-NC foods closely before or after my noseclipped meals, and it hasnít seemed like itís made much difference.† However, Iím not doing it all the time, simply because I just flow with things, and do things differently depending on momentary whims.† I think that this is a great area for further experimentation.† Maybe youíll be the one to more fully explore this new territory.†

At some point I would like to intentionally only wait a short amount of time, on a regular basis, to try to figure out if it matters.† One reason that I suspect that it might not, is because each food that I eat nose clipped, seems to cover over the taste of what I ate before it.† If I take off the clips too soon, I only taste the last thing I ate.† So my guess is that all of the previous nose clipped food was undetected.† Which is why I got the idea to use a calorie free food as a transition.† I donít do that all the time either, but I think itís a good idea worth playing with.†

I donít worry about smells, or toothpaste, etc. either.† In my experience with SLD, those things donít seem to matter.† Perhaps for others they do make a difference.† Or if you did them regularly and consistently, then a stimulus-response conditioning pattern might get established.† But I follow a path of variety and inconsistency, so conditioned patterns are less likely to be reinforced.† Iíll be curious to hear what you decide to try and how it works.  Good luck.

mpq, my nose clips always seem to be too tight, I canít imagine them falling off.† Are you sure that you have them on the right way?† Perhaps you have them backwards or upside down?† Mine are also adjustable.† You can squeeze them together or pull them apart, to make them looser or tighter.
I'm 5' 4.5"

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »

:lol: :lol:

I could posibly have them on upside down. How do you tell?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

losing-it

Heidi 555

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »

Thanks losing-it for the picture, I wasn't sure how to explain the right way in words.  I did try opening mine wider, and it got loose enough that I could breathe through it a bit.  So I squeezed it back together to tighten it.  mpq - hope you manage to get yours tight and in the right direction.  When I first got mine, I had trouble figuring out which way they go....
I'm 5' 4.5"

losing-it

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 03:53:14 PM »

Thanks losing-it for the picture, I wasn't sure how to explain the right way in words.† I did try opening mine wider, and it got loose enough that I could breathe through it a bit.† So I squeezed it back together to tighten it.† mpq - hope you manage to get yours tight and in the right direction.† When I first got mine, I had trouble figuring out which way they go....

The swimmer in the picture is wearing a Speedos noseclip. There are old style swimmer clips, too -- usually plastic, covered in latex or plastic and attached to a latex band which goes around the neck to keep them with you when you take them off your nose in the pool. I have a couple of the old style -- a cheap brand. They are really uncomfortable for me - pointy, scratchy. The Speedos are worth investing in. This is a noseclip which looks interesting, but even more interesting are the 3M sticky hooks for children in the shapes of rather questionable animals....

http://texyt.com/Oddments

Heidi 555

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

losing-it - that link was too funny!!!  :D  So now I have to worry about my nose getting too skinny.  Those 3M sticky hooks are a riot!  Lol.  They'd probably be banned in this country.  A friend got fired from a daycare center, from something a lot tamer than those.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Linabeena

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »

My son and husband laughed so hard they almost peed themselves this morning when I put on my new noseclip.  Then I laughed, and even with the noseclip felt like I had snot coming out of my nose and had to take it off.  I don't plan on wearing that thing in public, that's for sure!  I have the Speedo competition noseclip and it's tight, and I feel like it could just pop off anyway.  I think I can loosen it a bit.

On another note, I only noseclipped my breakfast because at lunch I got irritated at something and decided I was going to taste my food.  I had a very taste-intense dinner as I went out with a friend to an Asian fusion type restaurant in the city.... I love that kind of food and I did overeat a bit.... or perhaps I got stuffed quicker and just felt really full.  It's too soon to tell after 2 days what's really going on.  I'm really looking forward to this whole thing, to see if it works, and hopefully, lose weight.  It's been a long time since I felt good about my body.

I like the idea of not being too rigid and experimenting with the noseclipping.  Just the act of wearing the noseclip makes you pay more attention to what you eat, when and how much, and that alone is a good thing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18