Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!  (Read 376215 times)

Heidi 555

Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:44:22 AM »

[ EDIT: For anyone wanting to follow my history with SLD
here is what I tried before I started nose clipping a large percentage of food:
1. Nose clipping ditto foods to extinguish cravings:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5835.0
2. Conditioning Appetite Suppression:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5849.0

I reached my goal at the end of 2008.  It took me a little over a year.
Here's my thread in the I Made Section:
This little piggy went nose-clip-clip-clip all the way home!:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6780.0
And here's a thread about maintenance:
Long Term Nose Clipping Changes:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7184.0

After a year of trouble free maintenance I gained 3-4 pounds while still nose clipping.
I wasn't able to take the weight off by nose clipping most of my food as I had in the past.
So I returned to some experimentation that I'd done near the beginning of my SLD journey.
Beneke's "Enlightened Tasting" to decondition junk food cravings:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5932.0
This led to my developing a new dietary approach.
The Non-Addictive Food Diet:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7603.0

Here are a few other of my threads:
The Joy of Nose Clipping: Satisfying (or healthy) Food Ideas:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5925.0
CONCENTRATED SWEETENER after a meal for appetite suppression: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6463.0 ]

I highly recommend nose-clipping a high percentage of food.  I'm actually finding it much easier.  My weight has been steadily dropping down and my body is shrinking.  But best of all I feel really good in my body.  Really good in my body Ė what an amazing feeling!  This was the first pre TOM in my life that I felt good instead of bloated and fat.  I'm amazed.  Every day Iím amazed at my great, good fortune of having a toned, beautiful, and healthy body that feels good to live in.  I hope the amazement never wears off.  I sneak peaks in the mirror Ė because I canít quite believe this dream of happiness with my body is real.

For the past five years I've been dedicated to getting in shape.  I gradually built some muscles but found it impossible to lose those last 10 pounds of fat.  Working out made me look stockier.  SLD has allowed me to finally look and feel great.  Now I am in the enviable position of trying to figure out what I want to weigh.  Imagine that Ė pick what I want to weigh!  I canít believe that Iím trying to figure that out.  The only time in my life that I weighed what I wanted, I was 13-14 years-old.  I come from genetically heavy folks.  All my relatives are overweight.  For years Iíve battled my body to not put on weight.  I canít quite believe that a lifelong struggle might finally be over. 

For the most part, I donít mind nose clipping lots of food.  I enjoy eating even with nose clips on.  Yesterday, I made some delicious cream of mushroom vegetable soup.  I raved about how delicious it tasted.  My husband looked at me as if I was slightly nuts.  I was wearing nose clips and couldnít taste a damn thing.  Yet, I enjoyed every mouthful and raved about how great it ďtastedĒ.  The healthy, creamy, warm, texture, umami elements were deliciously satisfying.  I wasnít even tempted to taste it. 

On Christmas I drooled over falconcy, pinkmug, shovelqueen, nougat, and magpieís meal descriptions. (see http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5883.15 ) But on New Yearís Eve I had one of the best meals of my life without nose clips.† A friend who is a professional chef, made a meal to die for.† I relished every dish, had seconds and thirds, and enjoyed plentiful dessert without guilt.† I ate all evening long.† I stayed comfortably full and completely satisfied.† I didnít stuff myself sick.† (Wow, completely satisfied without being painfully stuffed sick.)

I think itís much easier to nose clip a higher percentage of food.† The AS is noticeable and you donít have to exert any will power.† I donít worry about a two hour window.† Iím also flexible each day with what percentage of food I nose clip.† Before the New Yearís Eve party, I nose clipped everything I ate.† But I didnít feel like eating much that day.† I think in general I nose clip somewhere between 40 and 90 percent of what I eat.† But itís not as bad as it sounds.† With strong appetite suppression, I often donít care if I taste what I eat.† I try to nose clip extremely healthy food.† But sometimes I have a fridge to mouth nose clipped binge.† †

The weirdest thing is that I always feel like Iím eating a lot.† Maybe eating as much as you want, of whatever you want, always feels like a lot.† With a continually lowered set point, the momentum of weight flows off effortlessly in the down hill direction.

Much gratitude again to Seth and all of you.† This forum is an ongoing support and inspiration.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:37:31 AM by Heidi 555 »
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

ani

Re: Nose clipping lots of food really works Ė it's easier!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »

The weirdest thing is that I always feel like Iím eating a lot.  Maybe eating as much as you want, of whatever you want, always feels like a lot.
I've noticed the same thing, Heidi. Funny, isn't it. The nice kind of funny, that is.

Heidi 555

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »

Yes, Ani, a really nice kind of funny.† I feel like I'm eating so much (and my mind keeps thinking I should be gaining weight) even though intellectually I know I'm eating much less than I use to.† It's still a surprise that I keep losing weight.

I could relate to what you said to shovelqueen on another thread: "I'm not as close as you are, but I'm looking and feeling infinitely better than I ever thought possible at this weight. I know it's a T-Tapp clichť, but I'm about where I thought I'd be at maybe a dozen pounds less. I'm a comfortable size eight, short with a short torso, medium frame; I guess optimally I'd be a size or two less. But I have absolutely no idea how to translate that into pounds, so for now I'm leaving the ticker alone. I know I'm getting there, and I figure I'll know it when I see it."

I know I'm feeling good now.† And would be content with my weight even if I didn't lose more.† But will I feel even better at 5 pounds less?† Will I know what weight is just right for my (somewhat shifting) body type?† Will I know if I'm getting too thin?† When I ask my husband what weight he thinks I should be, he says to just keep going and feel it out.† My mother has been telling me I'm too thin ever since I started SLD.† She's more comfortable with me weighing more.† It's a bit unfamiliar and scary to be thin.† But I'm thrilled to be having these dilemmas.†Previous to SLD, I didn't even bother to dream about what weight I wanted to be.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »

Great post, Heidi (see my blog)! You find it "much easier" than what?

Heidi 555

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:39:51 PM »

Thanks Seth.† I'm touched that you used it.†

Nose clipping lots of food is easier than taking oil, sugar water, or a smaller amount of nose clipped food.† On a smaller amount of nose clipped food I could easily override the AS Ė eat my way right through it.† Eating more nose clipped food gives good enough AS that I donít feel at the mercy of appetite fluctuations, or worry about the 2 hour window.† Probably most of the time there is a two hour window, because I tend to nose clip entire meals.† Anytime that I want to taste something, I taste it.† But with strong enough AS, I donít miss the taste of food.† I get really hungry and I want to eat good healthy food, which is also easier with nose clips.†

Satisfaction for me is in being able to eat until Iím full and content.† I think because I allow myself to eat as much as I want with nose clips, Iím more satisfied than when I allow myself to taste a lot of flavors, but then have to be careful and use will power not to overeat.† The flavor of food is very stimulating and addictive.† Nose clipping tempers that runaway train of craving.† I eat a lot, feel satisfied, and still lose weight.† Itís a great deal Ė a bargain Ė and Iím happy to pay the price of relinquishing flavor, at least for awhile.† Iím guessing that for people whom SLD doesnít seem work, or those stuck at a lengthy plateau, that nose clipping a large percentage of what they eat would really get things rolling.† I think because I was up against the notoriously hard to lose last 10 pounds, I needed to consume more flavorless calories than I could with oil, sugar, or one or two helpings of nose clipped protein.†

SLD has been so great for me.† Itís perplexing to me why more people arenít into it.† I tell everyone I know about SLD, but so far no one has been interested.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

It's easier and FASTER!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »

I forgot to emphasize that nose clipping lots of food is also much faster.† Before I started nose clipping a lot of food, SLD was working for me but oh so slowly.† I had to be very patient.† I easily got discouraged.† In fact, it was my discouragement that led me to start nose clipping as much as I could.† I just decided to go for it.†

When nose clipping a lot of food the results are much faster.† There is more a feeling of instant gratification.† I only have to wait a few days to see/feel results.† There is this pattern though, of increased hunger and eating a lot of nose clipped food for maybe 2-3 days.† And then strong appetite suppression and weight loss follows.† Then back to a few more days of increased hunger and the body regrouping for a brief plateau before the set point lowers again.† Also, I think Iíve gotten acclimated to the appetite suppression, so I donít often notice it, and it feels like Iím eating too much to lose weight.† So then it feels like magic or this incredibly good dream that the weight keeps falling off.† I think folks who have a lot to lose, initially experience this SLD magical feeling.†

I intuitively sensed and intellectually thought that SLD was brilliant right from the moment I discovered it.† (Seth Ė youíre a genius!)† I knew I wanted that ďShangri-laĒ experience with food, even more than I wanted to lose weight.† However, even though I could tell SLD was working, I didnít experience the ďShangri-la feelingĒ until I started nose clipping as much as I comfortably could.† Now I feel like Iíve fallen over the Shangri-la-la edge.† My apologies if I perpetually sound like a SLD infomercial.† (I felt initially embarrassed by my first post on this thread.† I had to have my husband read it and reassure me that it was good.† Iím not typically one to gush on about things.† Iím more pragmatic.)

Itís a relief to no longer worry about how much I eat.† I just keep nose clipping.† And my success motivates me to nose clip more.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Maychi

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:18:54 AM »

SLD has been so great for me.† Itís perplexing to me why more people arenít into it.† I tell everyone I know about SLD, but so far no one has been interested.†

I think most of us who have given noseclipping more than a fair try find it very hard to keep doing it with even one meal a day, let alone most of the time. It's just too uncomfortable an experience, not to mention the fact that my family, for example, won't sit in the same room with me if I wear my noseclips (and I have to admit that I bear an uncanny resemblance to Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs so I can't really blame them :lol:). Every time I read your posts on this subject, I'm filled with admiration for your perseverance and the tolerance of those around you and with just a little bit of envy...

VeganKitten

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:28:45 AM »

Wow, Heidi, your most recent post (and results!) have convinced me. I am going to Amazon right now to buy these.

Thanks  :D

Heidi 555

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »

Maychi Ė Iím not sure why the nose clipping has been so easy for me and seems to be so hard for others.† Perhaps, I was more desperate, because Iíd been working so hard for so long on diet and exercise regimes that didnít work.† Calorie restriction diets, also known as starvation torture, were grueling and didnít work.† Nose clipping seems like a piece of cake compared to a lifetime of struggle with food, body, and diet.

My husband still laughs at me when he sees me on a nose clip binge.† (Iíve gotten use to his teasing me.)† He thought this was a crazy scheme to begin with.† But now that heís seen and appreciated the results ( ;):) ), he is very supportive.† The nose clipping has gotten easier, because success is such a positive reinforcement.†

I haven't the nerve to nose clip out in public.† I did it when I visited my family, but Iíd told my mother and sister about SLD right from the beginning, so they knew it was coming.† They think many things that I do are weird.† So to them it was probably just one more unusual thing that Heidi is into.† I didnít know how to explain it to my 5-year-old niece, though.† She doesnít even know what a diet is.† Anyone have suggestions?

VeganKitten Ė good luck.† I hope it works amazingly well for you, too.† I'm glad that the local sporting goods store stocks lots of nose clips.†

Seth Ė I think the next edition of your book should come with a pair of nose clips.† (And a nice Speedo endorsement. ;) ;) )† Iím going to give away nose clips and copy of your book to anyone I know who is going to try SLD.† It would be nice to be able to purchase them together.† Also, it would be great to compile nose clipped recipes.† People could contribute their favorite nose clipped food combos.† Iím going to try your suggestion to sprinkle chicken ďwith salt, sugar, vinegar, and hot sauceĒ.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

I must retry the noseclipping-most-foods thing. It was difficult for me. If only I saw quick results.... that would be very encouraging. All I noseclip these days is a mug of milk with oil. But I must get rid of the 3 lbs spare tire I got from holiday foods... :x
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Heidi 555

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:25:47 AM »

Pinkmug, you were the one who gave me the initial inspiration to nose clip lots of food.† You said: ďOne thing is sure: the best AS day ever was when I noseclipped ALL meals.Ē† Well, your comment has stayed with me, and motivated me to nose clip more.† Thank you!† Initially, it took a number of days of nose clipping lots of food, to really see/feel results.† Milk and oil seems like a good combo.† I hope it works well for you.

Hereís a detailed update on what Iím doing, if anyone wants to give it a try.†

Typically, I eat two meals a day plus a snack or two.† I tend to nose clip entire meals.† I almost always nose clip lunch, and I sometimes nose clip dinner, too.† Dinner is usually larger than lunch.† So on days when I nose clip just lunch, I estimate that I nose clip 35-40% of my caloric intake.† When I nose clip both meals, itís probably about 90%.† A few times I nose clipped dinner instead of lunch.† On those days I probably nose clipped around 60% of my intake.† Iím guessing that 60% might be my overall average.† On occasion, Iíve nose clipped 100%, but in general I try not to do that.† I want to condition myself to comfortably go back and forth between nose clipping and not.† It somehow feels better to me to have at least one unclipped snack.† Clementines have been one food that I much prefer to taste.† They are a delicious treat that I crave during the winter.

I eat a wide variety of mostly healthy food.† Every meal is different.† I often have some kind of healthy mush for lunch, but I make the mush differently every time.† Itís easier for me to be really good about what I eat earlier in the day.† Later in the day is harder.† Most of the time, I just nose clip regular food.†

I found some food ďtastesĒ better to me when nose clipped.† Some examples are: sardines, canned oysters, prunes, cooked carrots, baby food.† Iíve been buying baby food as an easy way to consume more vegetables.† Typically, I mix the baby food into yogurt or some kind of cooked whole grain.† Lotís of food surprises me by how delicious it ďtastesĒ when nose clipped.† For example, I sometimes drink a roasted grain beverage (coffee substitute) with a little milk and honey.† Yesterday, I realized that the roasted grain part wasnít necessary.† A cup of hot water with a bit of milk and honey was creamy, sweet, and delightful!†

As I mentioned previously, I donít worry about the two hour window.† On occasion, Iíve eaten a piece of fruit, and then had a meal a Ĺ hour later.† Iíve also occasionally had an unclipped dessert, following a nose clipped meal.† Most of the time I nose clip entire meals, so I do follow the two hour rule, without trying to follow it.† In general, I do better when I donít have rules and restrictions.† Letting go of the two hour rule was psychologically helpful.† Iím trying to make nose clipping lots of food as easy and effortless as I can for myself.† Easy and effortless is always more successful. :)

On Sunday night, our friend who is a chef had us over for dinner again.† It was an extremely rich heavy meal of the kind of food I donít usually consume.† I pigged out until thoroughly content (no clips).† Afterwards, I thought for sure that Iíd ruined my diet, and that my weight would go back up.† Lol!† I had to remind myself that you donít gain a pound from one big meal.† Perhaps, I slowed my weight loss down a bit, but I definitely havenít gained.† My mind canít seem to grasp that it might be possible to eat rich food and still lose weight.† Rich food = fat.† On SLD: eating fat = weight loss.† Intellectually I understand, but I have yet to emotionally internalize it.

After nose clipping a lot of food, the taste of food can get extremely heightened.† The meals I eat unclipped are these incredible, sensual, feasts.† Itís an incredible drug free high to eat without clips.† With clips, eating is still really enjoyable.† Itís like Iím gaining pleasure in eating, rather than losing it.

I donít do oil.† Sometimes I mix a teaspoon of flax oil into my mush.† But last week I went out and got me some honest to goodness real (organic) butter.† 5 years ago when my weight reached its all time high of 150 pounds (and I was shocked into dieting), I completely gave up butter, mayonnaise, and bottled salad dressings.† So now Iím nose clipping real butter on toasted sprouted wheat ďessene or manaĒ bread.† How can I feel deprived on something that ďtastesĒ so moist, buttery, crunchy, and good?† Iím thinking nose clipped bread and butter might work beautifully for maintenance.† I could live with that for a LONG time! ;)

For most of my adult life, Iíve worn pants in the size 10-14 range.† †5 years ago when I lost 20 pounds, I made it into a size 8.† Since then, through constant vigilance and hard work, Iíve managed to stay in the size 8 to 10 range.† SLD brought me effortlessly and miraculously into a size 6.† Iíve never been a size 6 in my entire adult life!† Size 6 seems too tiny.† I look at those pants and think those arenít my size.† I canít fit my butt into THAT!†

Yesterday, I went shopping.† I wanted to buy some pants that were a bit snug.† Iím hoping that Iíll continue to lose, and thus will comfortably shrink into them.† Well, almost all of the size 6 pants that I tried on were comfortable now, but a bit too loose.† If I lost a bit more weight, they would no longer fit.† This store didnít HAVE pants that were smaller than a size six.† I walked out with nothing but amazed happiness.† Iíve never been so happy to leave empty handed having found nothing that fit!†

I have a pair of size 4 pants that I wear now, I assumed they were a fluke.† I think my internalized body image is still stuck in size 10.† Size 4 or 6 is for ultra thin women and that canít be me.† Though I must confess that Iím dreaming about buying myself a bikini for my 46th birthday at the end of the month.† What Ė a bikini at age 46!† Outrageous!† Especially since the only time in my life that I wore a bikini, I was 14.† Iíll be in Florida visiting my parents then.† Two weeks with my folks will be a time of gaining back weight, or a plateau if Iím lucky.† I'm not sure how much more I need to lose, before Iíd feel comfortable wearing a bikini.† I canít believe that Iím even fantasizing about it.† I have to say that Iím very happy with what I weigh now.† Losing more will just be thicker icing on an already yummy cake.† SLD is miraculous.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »

So now Iím nose clipping real butter on toasted sprouted wheat ďessene or manaĒ bread.  How can I feel deprived on something that ďtastesĒ so moist, buttery, crunchy, and good?

gotta try it!

you've opened my eyes to what can be done with nose-clipping. For example, I drink lots of a coffee substitute but hadn't considered that it could be replaced with hot water, honey, & milk.

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »

Well Heidi, you've got me inspired too!!†

This morning, I looked at my small bowl of whole grain cereal with fruit, nuts and yogurt on top, and thought what the heck, it won't kill me to try - and found eating the cereal nose-clipped was surprisingly satisfying.† :shock:† You are right in that the sweetness, tartness from the yogurt and texture all have far more significance when you eat with nose clips.† And despite it being a modest serve† -† I'm FULL !!† :D

I've been doing SLD since March last year (with ELOO - and would give myself an 8 out of 10 for consistency) and have watched enviously as others have enjoyed their scales going downward.† For me, after the initial drop of a few kilos, I've been stuck stuck stuck.†

OK, time to try yet another strategy.† Given your success - and thanks for the great explanation - I will give this a genuine attempt and keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Heidi 555

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »

Magpie, I'm so happy that you're inspired, too.† Inspiration is perhaps an infectious thing.† I hope the nose clipping is successful for you, and gets things unstuck and moving.

Seth Ė Iím thrilled to have some suggestions that are useful to you.† It feels good to be able to give back and further the experimentation of SLD that you have forged.† Itís a vehicle for my gratitude.† I am going to start a thread just for nose clipped food ideas.† Iíve been meaning to do that for a while, and finally started writing it, but I donít have time to finish it right now.
I'm 5' 4.5"

danyelle1

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:54:11 AM »

Started reading heidi's post about NCing everything and the dramatic AS it has brought about.  Am thinking about trying it, but have one reservation floating around in my head.

Somehow or other, my Mom starting losing her sense of smell a few years back.  At first she noticed that her favorite foods did not taste the same.  Then she began to think one of my sisters had quit smoking because she didn't smell "ashtray" on her clothes and in her car anymore.  This totally intrigued me - she kept complaining about the "tasteless"  food, but I introduced to her the fact that it was probably not the food or the taste that was different or missing, that it was probably that she could no longer smell anything - the same as nose-clipping.  At this point, I don't believe she can smell at all.  She really hated the smell of that smoke and now I can put an ashtray directly under her nose - there's nothing, she doesn't even know it's there.  It's gone.

BUT - when she first starting losing her smell, she lost weight.  Since that time, that weight has come back with a vengeance and now she is heavier than ever.  I can't figure this part out.  For my own curiousity I started examining her favorite foods for clues as to why they would still make her want to eat even though she is permanently nose-clipped.  (These observations have been going on for at least 5 years, way before I discovered Shangri-La, it just so happens I made a recent association between my mom and nose-clipping.)  She loves coffee with sugar.  She loves dark chocolate.  She loves sprite.  She likes spicy/sweet potato chips.  Every one of those things has an element of sweet, but considering the weight loss success with sugar water, it must not be JUST the sugar.  So here's what I came up with - every one of those things has sweet AND another true tongue taste.  Coffee = sweet + bitter.  Chocolate = sweet + bitter.  Sprite = sweet + sour.  Chips = sweet + spice (heat, not aroma) or sweet + salt.   

I've tried to convince her to drink some ELOO - she has excuses right now so I figure she'll try it when she's ready.  But it all makes me wonder if nose-clipping will work on all foods, especially ones that combine two or more tongue tastes.

So anyway.  Just for what it's worth, maybe some additional data for others to think about. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18