Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Vicarious Maternal Vindication

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vicarious Maternal Vindication  (Read 6798 times)

Del

Vicarious Maternal Vindication
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »

I'm so excited!  I'm at 200.0 lbs as of today and I'm just breathless with glee because that means in the next 48 hours I'll be UNDER 200.0 lbs for the first time since . . . since . . . since a very long time ago.  But that's not the point.

My cousin - whom I love dearly, I do - is getting married on October 12.  She's always been the pretty one.  Blond, buxom, beautiful in that Barbie-esque sort of fashion.  Her mother passed back in June, so my mother has been filling the void as best anyone can.  She's helped buy and alter the dress, plan the whole kit and caboodle, etc.  In this same vein of hysterical maternal planning, she took me shopping for a new dress for the wedding.  I ended up with a peach sheath dress (SHEATH DRESS - AAH!).  And I look GOOD.

So I'm standing there, twisting and turning in the mirror and grinning at the lovely dress and the lovely me in it and my mother starts sniffling and says "Maybe we need to find a different dress."  Shocked, I asked why and she says "Because you're prettier than the bride and I don't know if that's okay."  After much deliberation and a phone call to my father, we got the dress.

Thus, here I sit, caught in this awkward joy at my gorgeous new dupioni silk dress - peach, size 14 - this petty pleasure at finally being the pretty one, even if only to my mother and this mournful ache at the idea of being prettier than my cousin on this day of all days.

I love this dress.  I love the way I look in this dress and I love the way that makes me feel.  But despite the petty glee I'm guiltily squashing, I don't know if I should wear this dress.  I know I'm going to because my mother bought it for me and my father thought I looked lovely in it.  But a teensy part of me wonders if I should.

*snorts a laugh*  Strangely enough, it just now occurred to me that I never, ever doubted my mother's assessment that I did, indeed, look better.  And that's a new thought in itself.

Truly,
Del

shovelqueen

Re: Vicarious Maternal Vindication
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »

Wear it, feel like a million bucks, and take lots of pictures.  Don't worry about the bride - it's her day and she'll glow in her own way. 

Post pictures - we'd love to tell you how fab you look! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »

Wear it, feel like a million bucks, and take lots of pictures.  Don't worry about the bride - it's her day and she'll glow in her own way. 

Post pictures - we'd love to tell you how fab you look!

I agree 100% !!  Relax, enjoy the day and enjoy looking fabulous - you have every right to!

losing-it

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:00:39 PM »

You'll be beautiful, Del, and so will the bride. And both of you will be beaming with your own joys. Your happiness makes me feel so happy, too.

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:53:57 PM »

Agree, Agree
Wear the dress, and congrats on the 100s, that's a milestone that you will remember long after the wedding pictures have faded.  So happy for you, enjoy yourself at the wedding, eyes will be on the bride, but bet a few will stray your way.

shinju_chan

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »

Hey!  How come we don't get a picture??  With a description like that...

Del

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:54:26 PM »

Hey! How come we don't get a picture??

Because I don't HAVE a picture yet.   :D

Del

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:05:58 AM »

WEAR THE DRESS.
you've worked sooo hard to look so good and doubtlessly suffered many many hours of sadness at NOT looking nice (like me)
that you deserve to look and feel absolutely gorgeous!!
PICTURE PICTURE PICTURE!!!

shinju_chan

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 02:28:16 AM »

Nougat, I thought you looked really good in your updated photos!   :D

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 07:24:49 AM »

Del, your story is DELICIOUS:... :-)

Don't even think of not wearing the dress! You worked hard for it, you're entitled to it, you deserve that and much more... and you don't want to disappoint your mom!!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:14 PM »

thank you shinju chan you are very kind.
today i'm going to sew up the sides of some trousers/pants/jeans  cos they're TOO BIG!!!  :D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18