Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Diabesity article

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diabesity article  (Read 5974 times)

shovelqueen

Diabesity article
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »

This article just arrived iin my mailbox via Medscape.  It highlights the need for us to address obesity, and it's frequent partner, diabetes.  Interesting reading...

Can't you see SLD being a tool to help with obesity treatment in the years ahead?  Of course, the underlying problems, which are societal and political, must be addressed, but I can see individuals using SLD to reduce their own risk of diabesity, and that of their loved ones.  

Diabesity -- The Biggest Epidemic in Human HistoryPosted 08/20/2007

Paul Zimmet, AO, MD, PhD, FRACP, FRCP

The combination of diabetes and obesity is the largest epidemic the world has faced. What HIV/AIDS was in the last 20 years of the 20th century, diabetes and obesity and their consequences will almost certainly be in the first 2 decades of the 21st century.

In the last few decades, the number of people with diabetes has more than doubled globally. The International Diabetes Federation using data from my International Diabetes Institute in Australia recently reported that the number of people with diabetes will escalate from the present 246 million to 380 million by 2025.[1] Despite the warning signs, most governments have been slow to act. Tragically, diabetes is now a global epidemic with devastating humanitarian, social, and economic consequences.[2]

Against this background, December 21, 2006 was a momentous day for the global diabetes community. On that day, the United Nations General Assembly unanimously passed a resolution declaring diabetes an international public health issue, only the second disease after HIV/AIDS to attain that unenviable status.

Diabetes is a chronic disease which, through its complications, can impact seriously on the quality of life of individuals and their families through premature illness and death. Because diabetes is now affecting many in the workforce, it has a major effect on both individual and national productivity. The socioeconomic consequences of diabetes are likely to bankrupt the economies of many developing nations apart from their devastating impact on the economies of developed nations, such as the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia.

Tackling diabetes and obesity is likely to be one of the most important challenges for the global public health community in the 21st century. It is a battle that we can and must win.

That's my opinion. I'm Professor Paul Zimmet, Director of the International Diabetes Institute in Melbourne, Australia, down under!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Troublesome

Re: Diabesity article
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »

Five years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes, and have been on Metformin ever since.  I was 191 pounds, and I am 5'2" tall.  Since then, I've gradually lost weight, but it's an ongoing battle with food issues... How can you lose weight when you are ALWAYS hungry?  It's been a struggle as I also have other issues-- arthritis and much pain. I have gotten my weight down to 176, which is a lot better than 191 pounds.  But something was missing...  I just couldn't get any more weight off.   I read in a book about the SLD, and knew at once I could do this.  I am one of those people who could easily slap on 2 tablespoons of butter on a slice of toast.  I LIKE fat.   To give fat up completely which various "authorities" try to convince me is what I need, is like trying to drive a car without wheels.  Can't be done.  So, before I even got the book I was trying out the principles of the diet using refined Walnut oil.  I've been doing this a week and my weight is 171 pounds!  I am amazed!  I wondered if I should do the sugar water thing because I do have diabetes.  I've been doing the oil only.  I am only here now waiting to take the oil before hitting the sack for the night.  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.  I hope that the results continue, as I see here in these forums that there are mixed reviews as to the diet working.  I find myself not being as hungry as usual, and night time snacking is my biggest problem.  That's gone!  Gone?!  Can this be real?  Will it stand?  Well, we'll see.  Goodnight, SLD, goodnight. 

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (The Bible)

shovelqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:50:55 AM »

Welcome, Troublesome!  You are one of the luckiest ones to get instant AS from the oil.  I was too - it's an awesome feeling, and it's for real! :D  I'd stay away from the sugar water idea - the oil is working for you and it has added health benefits.  Watch for the texture of your skin to improve, hair glossier (but not greasier), possibly better sleep, more even mood. 

And be careful to watch for low blood sugars.  If your current dose of anti-diabetics is too high for your new way and amount of eating, you may need to cut it back.  Don't just figure you need to eat more again to match the med effect - it's much better to change the med to match your new eating style.  Do you do any regular blood glucose monitoring?  If so, you can reduce your Metformin by 1/4 to 1/2 and monitor blood sugars to check that you are maintaining an optimal blood sugar level.

Good luck with SLD! :D

Troublesome

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »

Thank you for answering, Shovel Queen!  Appreciate it.  This is really new to me, so I'm going to ease into all these posts.  Seems overwhelming.  For now, I'm glad you took the time to answer my first post; It's an encouragement.  I need all of that I can get.  Doing the oil is not without hunger yet, but it is much better.  I really can be done with dinner and be done.  But it's 11:07 PM my time now, and I'm going to go to bed.  I really didn't want to go without checking here, and I was pleased to find someone has read my post.  I got up this morning and the scale read 170, two pounds less than my previous post!  I am thrilled.  I've tried every diet known to man, I'm sure of it, and this is the first time I can say, "I can live with this."  Thank you for your advise about the sugar water.  I'm glad I can stick with the oil.  I've also been using PGX (have you heard of it?) which I am hoping will help with diabetes issues.  I read that it also can help.  I quit taking metformin about a week ago, but my sugar was too high.  When I went back on it, I got such stomach problems I quit again.  But my sugar was too high, and so I went back to using half a tablet 2 x a day.  This is actually the first time I stopped taking the meds... I couldn't figure out what in the world was wrong with my bowels for the longest time, and I quit the meds to see if it changed anything.  It did.  My stomach problems went away, but my sugar went up.   I am hoping that I can use 1/2 tablet of Metformin and eventually reverse the diabetes.  I'm not going to be stupid... I know I need the stuff for now.  I am just hoping to get away with 500mg of it twice a day instead of 1000.  Today my sugar is once again normal-- 108!  I was so happy!  Hoping that my changes can help it stay that way.  I am glad that you mentioned that I might try that.  I am hoping it holds.  I really am trying to stick with a healthy lower carb diet-- it's a hard way to live because everyone loves bread and pasta, including me.  Just trying to not have so much of it and adding more veggies and one or two fruit a day.  Now the oil.  Oh, I thank the good Lord He let me find out about it.  All these years....  I can't wait to see my weight go down along with hunger.   That will be great not having to fight with myself constantly about eating! 

I am sick of the medical field who are shaking hands with the pharmaceutical companies!  Why can't they get together with holistic studies and do what's best?!!  If doing the SLD helps me lose weight I know I'd be 1000 % better.  I know my doctor wouldn't approve, so I'm sure not telling her.  I went in with all the vitamins I had and she said they wouldn't do any good.  Just like that.  But it isn't true.  When it isn't true, I have a problem believing anything they say... do you know what I mean?  I hate untruths.  I hate being lied to.  Makes me lose all trust.  Sorry I am rambling on.  Wonder if anybody else has problems with the medical profession in general who only want to prescribe drugs with numerous side effects?  Do you? 
Also, my cholesterol is a little high... Do you think the oil will help bring the good numbers up and the bad numbers down?

Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (The Bible)

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:17:54 AM »

I should start my reply by letting you know that in my day job, I'm a Registered Dietitian, working mainly in geriatrics.  But I'm a very open-minded dietitian.  And this is me, the person, speaking here, not a "health professional" in a professional capacity at all.  I've been doing SLD for 3 1/2 years.

Your dose of Metformin is pretty high, likely indicating that you really did need some help to manage your blood sugars right now.  Diarrhea and bowel issues are a common side-effect of Metformin.   If you can manage to handle the 500's (still a significant dose) without the scoots, you should probably stay on it for now.  If not, tell your doc you need something else.   I'm assuming you're in the States from your blood sugar values (not measured in the same units as Canadians), so you may have to consider the cost of the various drugs.  The beauty of SLD is its accessability.  Nothing to buy but a couple of bucks worth of good oil.  And you save a bundle when you change and reduce your groceries and eating out and junk purchases. 

Yes, your lipid profile will likely improve dramatically on SLD and lower white carb eating.  Don't let the doc put you on statin drugs until you've given this a shot.  Anyone who can cut the white crap out of their diet and add in healthy oils will see a massive improvement in lipid profile, independent of whether you lose much weight.  But you likely will lose significant weight! :D

In terms of bread and pasta alternatives, you can try looking around for some of these products.   Ezekial Bread, usually found at a whole foods type store, or in the "health food" section of a big supermarket, is bread made with sprouted grains, so the "anti-nutrients" in the grains are reduced and the final product is much easier to digest and better for you.  They are grainy and delicious - my favourite is the Sesame variety.  You can also find noodles made from various legume flours such as Chickpeas.  They have a different texture and taste, but are noodly enough to pass muster as a "pasta".  There is also a great recipe online for focaccia style flaxmeal bread, a flatbread made with ground flax seeds, eggs.  You can add herbs to it, or add raisins and cinnamon for a "sweeter" version - almost a good cookie substitute.   Here's the recipe:   http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm

OK, that's alot of typing over my morning coffee - I'll shut up now. :lol:  Good luck!

Troublesome

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »

Thank you so much for your help!  Yes, I live in the states, and thank you for informing me that my Metformin dose is high.  I have been working on my weight and have suffered with "hunger" for I don't know how long.  With the oil, it cuts that feeling a LOT, and if I never lose another pound, the freedom from constant hunger is worth it.  I will keep Metform at 500 at least until I see the doctor and find out my numbers.  I know it probably went up the week I was not taking anything... 157 on my morning test... but I hope to reduce that as I am doing the SLD.  Thank you again.  I will watch for your posts on the forums. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18