Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)  (Read 98342 times)

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
Re: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »

Hi. is it okay to take pure olive oil instead of ELOO?

The way olive oils are graded the most flavorful - the Extra Virgins - are considered the highest quality.  "Pure" olive oil is considered one of the lowest grades because it is less flavorful, and therefore ideal for SLD use.

Thanks, I did not know that.

TalkingRat

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »

Lower quality because it is a later pressing, but still could be flavorful; it is not refined like ELOO is.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »

Lower quality because it is a later pressing, but still could be flavorful; it is not refined like ELOO is.

Good point.

BTW, I'm currently doing midnight oil, but have given up using any sugar.  It just doesn't work for me (actually, it seems to have a negative effect, which is distressing.  I keep trying different ways to work the sugar in and it just doesn't work).

Sigh.

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
Re: How do I start
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »

Hi, Lindaree!  Glad to hear you've been inspired by experiences that you've seen narrated here.

Quite simply, the best and most efficient way to gain a solid understanding of how SLD works, and therefore how best to do it, is to read The Shangri-La Diet first.  It's not a long, heavy read, and you only have to read around the first half of the book before you're ready to start.  What the book describes is largely taken as assumed knowledge here, and discussion on these forums focuses more on individual experiences and experimentations, rather than replicating coherently what's in the book.  From what I've seen before, if we just tell people, "Oh, do this and do that," it's not very helpful, because they mightn't properly understand quite why they're doing this and that, and are therefore more likely to do something wrongly and not succeed.

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2007, 08:13:47 PM »

Okay, good to hear that you've taken the correct first step (to get hold of the book to learn SLD properly).  It sounds as if, unlike most of the folks here, you're not in the US.  (I'm not, either; I'm in Australia.)

Seeing I don't know anything else about you (but seeing you're so keen), I'll give you some one-size-fits-all instructions to try.  Try having two 20 ml drinks of extra light olive oil (ELOO) each day.  That's a total of 40 ml of ELOO a day.  You can also try making it higher (say, 25-30 ml per dose), but if you want to do that, I suggest that you start with a lower dose like 20 ml and ramp it up over a few days, so that your digestive system can adapt to it.

You need to use the lightest-tasting oil available -- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), which by design is meant to be tasty, is not an option.  You must not taste the oil at all.  If necessary, while taking the oil, hold your nose, or hold your breath, or use swimmers' noseclips, and rinse your mouth out well with water afterwards.  You must also leave at least a clear taste-free hour both before and after each time you take a dose of oil.  That means that, during those hourly periods before and after, you must not taste anything.  That means no tea or coffee, no food, no soft drinks, no toothpaste, no minted dental floss -- nothing, no taste sensations at all.  However, you're at liberty to drink unflavoured water.  The taste-free windows before and after each dose of taste-free calories that you get with the ELOO are absolutely vital.  If you cheat on them, then all you'll achieve is getting the extra calories from the ELOO for no ultimate weight-loss benefit.

If you're doing it right, you should soon experience a reduction in your appetite.  Some people get it almost immediately, and others get it within a few days.  Higher doses of ELOO will lead to greater appetite reduction/suppression.

I won't go into explaining the whys and wherefors of the procedure, set point theory, etc.,  because the book will do a far better job of that than I have time for at the moment.  Anyway, that's a rough-and-ready suggestion for starting, if you'd like to try it.  All the best! :)

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »

Lindaree. I can understand your impatience, and it can take a while for appetite suppression (AS) to kick in.  The rule of thumb used here is to take about double your lbs weight number in oil calories, to a maximum of 4 tablespoons per day.  So if you weigh 200lbs, you would take 400 cal in oil, or about 4T.  So far so good?

OK, the easiest way is to build up to the amount of oil you need, as sometimes tummies rebel against so much oil at one, use Extra Light Olive Oil (ELOO) if you can get it, Canola is good too for many SLDers. 

Take, say, 1T ELOO to start by floating it in a small amount of water, ( a small glass with a thin lip helps, I've found, but it's not essential) throw it back real quick so that you don't taste the oil, drink a glass of cold water right after, that helps, and wipe any residue from your lips.  Breath out through your mouth as this helps avoid any taste from the oil.  Do this twice a day, but VIP - have nothing but water for one hour BEFORE or AFTER the oil - no gum, no toothpaste, nothing with any flavour in your mouth.  The timing is according to convenience for you, but the two hour window is really important.  As TT said, you'll see the reason behind this when you read the book.  That's it, 30 seconds of ' pain'  for a big bag of benefits.

The AS effect can be instantaneous for some, with a total turn-off towards food - if this happens, don't panic, just ride this wave for as long as it lasts, as it will not last forever.  Over time you will find your attraction to rubbish food will diminish, and you'll probably start to crave the weirdest things - like steamed spinach! - and your appetite will diminish and be under your control, NOT your stomach's!!

That's it a nutshell, keep forraging around this forum and you'll learn lots more (Oh.....and welcome to the forum BTW :))  And don't be scared to ask more questions - we are a very friendly and helpful bunch here.

Magpie

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:59 PM »

Hey TT, we are obviously on the same wave-length!!  After taking the effort to type out my reply, thought I'd post it as well - at least we are both consistant with the advice!

(Cold wet day here in Sydney - perfect for a cuppa and the computer!)

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »

Magpie, it's a cool (cold by Sydney standards), semi-overcast, dry day here in Canberra.  Just for a change, I had a leisurely-sipped cup of hot sugar water when I first got up this morning.  It's quite pleasant on a cool day. :)

Magpie

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2007, 08:42:22 PM »

Can't say I've been THAT good TT, AND my daughter wants to make a chocolate cake this afternoon!

BTW I always find Canberra a bit 'dry' - oh, it must be because of all those politicians!  :P

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2007, 09:03:39 PM »

Well, hello from an expat Melburnian (living in Canberra since 1992)!  I haven't been to Bendigo for yonks (closest I've been in recent years is Castlemaine and Maryborough -- I have historic family connections from Maryborough and Talbot), but I remember Bendigo from my last visit there as a lovely, picturesque town.  I must try to see a bit more of my home state on some future visit down there.

The book is difficult to get in Oz (apart from Sydney, perhaps), unless you're prepared to order it.  How did you find out about SLD?

I just realised -- when I said before in an earlier post: "Okay, good to hear that you've taken the correct first step (to get hold of the book to learn SLD properly).  It sounds as if, unlike most of the folks here, you're not in the US.  (I'm not, either; I'm in Australia.)" -- it sounds as if I'm suggesting that Americans are disinclined to get the book for themselves.  What I was referring to was that you said that the book would take three weeks to get to you.  (In the US, you can get the book in a day or so from Amazon, or just go to a bookstore and buy it off the shelf.)

Magpie

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2007, 09:06:05 PM »

Hey another Aussie!  You beaudie!! There's quite a few of us here.  How did you hear about SLD?

That's great that you didn't taste the oil - as to the water after, it's not necessary really, but I always do it as more water is always good, and I just feel it washes the oil down.  Wiping your lips too isn't essential, but it's amazing how a small amount of residual oil can leave you tasting the oil, so again, I wipe my lips out of habit and as a precaution.

Hey TT - we're doing it again - same wavelength re How did you find out about SLD?

lvivianka

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2007, 09:11:31 PM »

WELCOME!!!
we are hot, hot and hot here in the states.  we will only be in the 90's, but some places are in the 100's.
  hope you enjoy your slide down the scales of SLD  :D

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »

Magpie: Hey TT - we're doing it again - same wavelength re How did you find out about SLD?

I'm a long-time reader (and, these days, less frequent poster) on another US-based discussion board -- nothing to do with weight loss, though.  Coincidentally, it's also mainly populated with women.  One day, someone asked in the off-topic health/fitness forum about weight-loss methods, and one of the posters replied that she'd been doing SLD successfully.  I followed her link to this site, and the rest is history.  It was a lucky stroke that I happened to see that thread, too.  I generally didn't bother reading the health/fitness forum because it seemed to be mainly gynaecological stuff.  Sound familiar? :D

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2007, 10:17:13 PM »

What a coincidence!  I've got The Don't Go Hungry Diet!  (For other readers, I think it's only been released for sale in Australia and New Zealand -- so far, anyway.)  Not that I need another diet book, but I was having a look in the diet/nutrition area of my local Dymocks recently out of curiosity to see whether they've woken up to The Shangri-La Diet yet (they haven't), and picked up a copy of The Don't Go Hungry Diet.  It attracted my curiosity because of the "not hungry" claim and because it mentioned "set point" in a couple of places.  The basic difference from SLD is that Sainsbury-Salis advocates pulling your set point down "in arrears" by eating a little less for a while, until you start to feel persistently hungry, and then eating more normally for a while to have your set point stabilise at the new lower level.  Lather, rinse and repeat.  SLD advocates proactively lowering your set point through ingestion of tastefree calories, letting your appetite drop as a result, and thereby losing weight through eating less.

Still, I found Sainsbury-Salis's ideas about the "famine reaction" and the "fat brake" interesting, as well as listening to your body about what kind of calories it's craving -- and her ideas aren't incompatible with the practice of SLD.  We should also remain open-minded to other ideas; otherwise, we wouldn't have got involved in this ridiculous oil-drinking cult, would we? :D

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and, yes, people are losing weight with SLD.

Purple

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2007, 04:01:34 AM »

[quote author=Magpie link=topic=5136.msg53599#msg53599 date=1183867565]
Hey another Aussie!  You beaudie!! There's quite a few of us here.  How did you hear about SLD?

That's great that you didn't taste the oil - as to the water after, it's not necessary really, but I always do it as more water is always good, and I just feel it washes the oil down.  Wiping your lips too isn't essential, but it's amazing how a small amount of residual oil can leave you tasting the oil, so again, I wipe my lips out of habit and as a precaution.

Hey TT - we're doing it again - same wavelength re How did you find out about SLD?
[/color]

hiya Magpie and TT I am another ozzie here! so nice to have other ozzies here (at least we work in kgs not lb) definitely you beaudie!! :P
I don't know what show I was watching sometime early March that got my attention to SLD but borrowed book from library before buying my own after anacara's link
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4224.0
I book a few from here and shared them out
so far I have lost 8kg some friends have lost but wont tell me quantities just yet!
Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18