Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)  (Read 102585 times)

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »

If you've been dieting and lost some weight just prior to starting SLD, it'll take longer for you to feel the effect (as a rule). That's because your current weight is lower than your body's setpoint.

SLD drives down the setpoint, but your setpoint has to be lower than your weight for you to get appetite suppression. So, if you're hoping to knock yourself off a dieting plateau -- be patient!

The good news is, it works great in combination with a traditional diet. Just give it time.
Running weight tally:

CarolynF

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2007, 04:24:50 PM »

Thanks..Frenata..I have been at 140 since the fall..So my setpoint is like cemented in...LOLOL..

I will definitely be patient..I'm just glad I don't have that starvation feeling at 4:00 anymore..:)

ZM

• Pete on the C2 wiki
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2007, 07:19:07 PM »

Hi Calolyn, I'd like to suggest something, perhaps, a little radical. But it wouldn't hurt to try it for a week I'd think. And in the spirit of self-experimentation it would be very good to know whether or not it works.

I suggested on http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4034.msg37666#msg37666 that hunger reinforces set point. I suspect most folk coming from other diets are used to being hungry, and consciously or not keep themselves hungry when they go SLD. So their set point resists and they spend months wondering what AS feels like and so on.

So the experiment I'd like to see is for a dieter to go SLD and gorge. Really, eat as much as you can outside of the SLD window. Not till you feel sick, but consistently eat until you feel full. And stay full. Don't pick diet foods. Eat what you love. And don't exercise unless you really need to. Go couch potato and see whether SLD will catch you as it has caught real couch potatoes like me.

If you did this you'd be doing what we slobby old non-dieters do when we go SLD. From what I read it seems the potatoes see excellent early AS and the pounds start plummeting from the get go. We look at SLD as a kind of get-out-of-jail-free card. Fat really is a kind of a jail, don't you think?

Anyway maybe this has already been tried and didn't work. I don't know. But if it were tried, and it worked, there'd be a lot of other people who could benefit from kicking back and stuffing themselves. Well, to the miniscule levels that SLD permits you to stuff yourself ...
Fat ---- Me -------- Thin                    (Going back on ELOO)

CarolynF

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »

Thanks, Peter for the thought..I have been on a lcarb, high-fat diet for 5 years and rarely did I left myself get hungry..I would definitely eat..probably too much between 4-6:30 (bad time to eat alot, too).

I do agree with you that a person should eat when they are hungry and will continue to do this.
I have reasonable meals and I do feel full after them..but I have always had to eat around 1100 calories to just maintain my weight as I am hypothyroid..

I am quite close to goal..5 pounds away, but I want to be able to get down to 135 and not creep up, so I'm playing with the SDL plus basically eating 50 carbs a day of veggies/some fruit..

Thanks for your input..I do agree that being hungry will lower your metabolism and that's not a good thing...:)

lynnnriver

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »

Hi, I did see this diet on a thread at low carb friends...I tried low carb...lost a few pounds but found it hard to find time to buy and prepare the food...lost several pounds starving on low fat/low calorie diet...don't want to be thin that bad...became ravenous for fat,though, thought, ... maybe the body needs some fat...gorged myself on eggs, cheese and fatty chicken pieces...thought, maybe go back to low carb...but this Shangri-la thing sounds pretty interesting.

This afternoon I tried the method for the first time...I had some good flavorless expeller pressed coconut oil melted in a cup of warm sugar water in a "flavorless" window of 3 hours. Was very full...later, did get hungry for dinner..ate two more pieces of chicken and a bowl of fiber cereal...extremely full...fuller than I have been in months..maybe it's psychological..should it work so fast...okay, time to stop playing on forum and work on project for Masters degree.......

CarolynF

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »

Lynn:  Maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll try the oil and the sugar together in the afternoon..Glad you had good results...They have said you DO get hungry, but you get filled up quickly, too..

MASHaholic

• "The mind is a powerful tool if allowed to be..."
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2007, 03:12:30 AM »

Thanks for sharing the message all!!! and Welcome!
Start Date 02/22/07 Male 41 years old 6'2" 270 lbs

One Day at a Time...

lynnnriver

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:36 PM »

I'm still working on this...experimenting with the expeller pressed coconut oil and sugar...still waiting for the books...I noticed that coconut oil by itself makes me feel good, and the oil with TB sugar makes me feel bad, but it's easier to take sweet. Is it okay to use Splenda? I know one wants the calories, but I just want to make the coconut oil easier to take....just wondering about splenda...still waiting for the book....

losing-it

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:38 AM »

I'm still working on this...experimenting with the expeller pressed coconut oil and sugar...still waiting for the books...I noticed that coconut oil by itself makes me feel good, and the oil with TB sugar makes me feel bad, but it's easier to take sweet. Is it okay to use Splenda? I know one wants the calories, but I just want to make the coconut oil easier to take....just wondering about splenda...still waiting for the book....

I've used Xylitol, stevia and sugar (I hear Splenda is not too good for you, so I stopped buying that last year - actually, that was the sweetener my husband used since he doesn't like stevia) mixed with coconut oil, and also in water as a chaser. When I was taking CO, I would heat water, as if for tea, melt the CO in it, add a little cooler water and slug it down without breathing through my nose. Then, I would wash it down with a glass of warm water, often mixed with sweetened water - again, Xylitol, stevia or sugar used. I wasn't concerned about getting extra calories, just washing out the taste. I think sugar or Xylitol seemed to work best. Maybe stevia was ok for it, but regular (organic or table) sugar worked best. The main thing was not to smell or taste the oil, since CO is very flavorful and fragrant. I like the CO best of all the oils, but I have facial and ocular rosacea, and it seemed to flare it up.

chellayh

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 07:43:27 PM »

I am thinking of starting on SLD.  My problem is that I go to school 1 1/2 hours away from home and am generally on campus all day.  Has anyone ever mixed their mid-morning dose and drank it 3-4 hours later?  Would the oil go bad in that time?  I tend to be sensitive to glucose spikes, so I definitely need to do the sugar-water-oil.

go2grl

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 08:32:10 PM »

You can take your dose with you - the oil won't go bad in that time.  Just don't leave a bottle of oil sitting in a car to get hot.  And if you don't want to worry about a sugar spike you can do just oil and water. 

Or you have an hour of getting ready in the morning you could consider doing the oil when you first get up. Then you can grab coffee or breakfast an hour later before you head out the door.  Personally I do all my oil at night sometime between 9 and 11pm.  When I first started I did an early morning and an afternoon or evening dose.  I have a bottle of oil at work for those times I want an afternoon dose.
Living La Vida SLD!

MASHaholic

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »

I would concur. I recently did a flight from Kuwait to the states with an overnighter in Franfurt Germany and premade some oil and water... It was fine and I did not have to miss a serving... I also carried a jar of oil for the remainder of the trip and added water as I went... Some here have also mentioned that they put the oil and water on the nightstand at nighttime so they have it first thing in the morning. Good Luck!

One Day at a Time...

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 07:11:34 AM »

mash, how did it go at the airport?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

MASHaholic

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »

It went good. I was able to travel with the oil, and was able to do the oil at my perscribed times...

On another note. I had a physical today and weighed in at 273   :(... I suppose I am not having the effects after over a month and am unsure. I have not opened the SLD book that I was waiting to read when I got home. I have tried to be good on my diet, eating a chicken breast sandwich today with half the bun removed... I have ate tons of salads, but suppose I am cheating in other ways. I will keep trying until it finally takes. I am determined to make this the last diet...

One Day at a Time...

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »

Was your weigh in on a different scale? I bought a new scale a while back. It weighs 7 lbs heavier than my old one. I almost had a breakdown! Now if I lose a pound I say to myself "dummy, if you
hadn't bought that new scale, look what you would weigh now! :lol:
Hang in there mash. You might have to make adjustments along the way, but you will definitely get to goal!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18