sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The other great benefit I've seen [from SLD], the thing that makes it worth chugging my mix of oil and water twice a day in and of itself, is the change I've felt in my attitude toward myself. I no longer feel disordered and tortured and ashamed. I no longer feel that I'm daily failing at something that so many people seem to find so easy and effortless. Now this thing I've fought with my whole life has become so much easier, so very nearly effortless for me as well. It turns out it wasn't a fundamental failure of my essential being after all. Who'd have guessed? -- Daffodil-11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)  (Read 69182 times)

Julia Dream

Re: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 05:59:48 pm »

Thanks! No, it wasn't uncomfortable, just weird...different. I mean, I'm all up for new things. Today, it wasn't as noticable, so I think I'm fine.

AlwaysTrying

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 01:44:01 pm »

Fructose gives me terrible headaches no matter what the dosage.  I was thinking about double dosing in the afternoon.  Don't have a problem with morning hunger.

Londoner

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 02:51:04 am »

Hi,

I bought the book, read the instructions and plan to lose 20-25lbs. I'm really, erm, champing at the bit to get going but I want to be sensible about it, to increase my chances of success, so...

I'm thinking of starting with a tblspn of sugar to be drunk at 11.00 am, then a tblspn of ELOO at about 7.15 pm (we eat supper at about 8.15 pm). From the book and the posts I've read on the forum I'm not sure how many people do both sugar and oil, nor whether this is too much to start with, right out of the blocks.

Also, I will be able to sip the sugar slowly, as advised, but the oil will almost certainly have to be gulped: is this OK?

And last, at which point should I step things up to, say, 1 tblspn of sugar at 11, followed by another at, say, 3.00 pm; then 1 of ELOO at 7.15?  Is this excessive, given the amount of weight I plan  to lose?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

go2grl

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 03:37:22 pm »

Hi,

I bought the book, read the instructions and plan to lose 20-25lbs. I'm really, erm, champing at the bit to get going but I want to be sensible about it, to increase my chances of success, so...

I'm thinking of starting with a tblspn of sugar to be drunk at 11.00 am, then a tblspn of ELOO at about 7.15 pm (we eat supper at about 8.15 pm). From the book and the posts I've read on the forum I'm not sure how many people do both sugar and oil, nor whether this is too much to start with, right out of the blocks.

Also, I will be able to sip the sugar slowly, as advised, but the oil will almost certainly have to be gulped: is this OK?

And last, at which point should I step things up to, say, 1 tblspn of sugar at 11, followed by another at, say, 3.00 pm; then 1 of ELOO at 7.15?  Is this excessive, given the amount of weight I plan  to lose?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Londoner, Welcome!
Your starting plan sound fine.  See how your stomach handles taking 1T for a day or two - then if you want to increase the oil add in more slowly.  I do both oil and SW and found that the first few times I did the SW I got a headache.  So now I'm sure to make a dilute mixture (barely sweet) and haven't had problems since.  If you don't experience problems with the SW or oil you can up your dose within a day or 2.

The rule of thumb that has developed is to do twice your body weight in SLD calories.  If you have to err on one side or the other, err on the side of more SLD calories.  Let us know if you have other questions.   :)
Living La Vida SLD!

mpq

• PA USA
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 04:00:58 pm »

Hi Londoner! Welcome!. I had the opposite effect with SW and ELOO. The oil gave me a headache, but I am migraine prone, so I'm sure that was it. A little advice. When doing your shot of oil, hold your nose until you take the oil and drink some water. I found it to be a remarkable difference, and not tasting is the whole idea.
Best of luck, and welcome to the family!

(wow, that's one big smiley!!)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Jodell

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 06:13:26 pm »

I am diabetic so I don't wish to use the sugar to get started . can I use stevia instead ? what is the object of using sugar anyway ? http://I can't seem to lose weight just watching diet and using no oil but VCO.  exercise 35+ min a day walking . Jo

Ann H

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 11:16:33 pm »

Jodell, you need to get a significant amount of flavorless calories, daily, for this diet to work. "Significant amount" seems to be between 1 and 2.5 times your body weight in pounds (200 pounds = 200-500 calories). Most folks seem to need the upper amount of that number. But stevia is not flavorless, and is verrry low-calorie. I don't think it would work.

Ty going the oil route if you don't want to use sugar. Just follow Stephen's advice about starting the diet a the beginning of this thread. Leave out the sugar and see how you do. There are many other ways to try to get flavorless calories, but oil or sugar are by far the easiest and most reliable it seems, so they should be tried first.

Good luck!

MASHaholic

• "The mind is a powerful tool if allowed to be..."
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:25 pm »

:o

Thanks all for your insight and informative suggestions. I started today and had my first flaxseed oil at 6:05 am as I seem to be more willing to try it first thing. I find it helpful as I usually do some daily morning reading and meditation to clear my mind. I like having an hour where I can just relax and clear my head for the day. I am asking if so early is OK? I see that the norm is 10 am. I am not sure how this will all work, but am positive it can't hurt. I am looking forward to more updates as this all progresses.

I am foregoing the sugar water (fruit sugar) at first due to not finding it, so I will keep the flaxseed going... I take it and immediately flush my mouth with room temperature bottled water while holding my nose... not much taste is any, but I do burp it up a few hours later.
Start Date 02/22/07 Male 41 years old 6'2" 270 lbs

One Day at a Time...

go2grl

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »

Any time of day is ok - some even do a dose in the middle of the night or early am.  They call it alarm SLD.  Welcome!
Living La Vida SLD!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 06:13:28 am »

:o

Thanks all for your insight and informative suggestions. I started today and had my first flaxseed oil at 6:05 am as I seem to be more willing to try it first thing. I find it helpful as I usually do some daily morning reading and meditation to clear my mind. I like having an hour where I can just relax and clear my head for the day. I am asking if so early is OK? I see that the norm is 10 am. I am not sure how this will all work, but am positive it can't hurt. I am looking forward to more updates as this all progresses.

I am foregoing the sugar water (fruit sugar) at first due to not finding it, so I will keep the flaxseed going... I take it and immediately flush my mouth with room temperature bottled water while holding my nose... not much taste is any, but I do burp it up a few hours later.

I'm doing that myself (without the burping).

I find that if I use sugar, I need a quarter cup of sugar and 3.5 tablespoons of oil.  Skip the sugar and I need only two tablespoons of oil.

That has been an interesting experimentation period.

Also found that I can push my set point up a little with ditto (junk) food and let it coast down again.  Or drop down.  If I push it above 175 it drops very fast (e.g. we took a week's vacation and went to Disneyworld.  Like all vacations I gained 3-4 pounds, but by the day after returning home, I had lost all of the vacation weight.  That was interesting, my body no longer is willing to tolerate the weight).

ZM

• Pete on the C2 wiki
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:56:56 pm »

Hi Stephen,

I'm curious about why you recommend starting with just 1 Tbl of oil.

I began with 4 Tbls of ELOO divided into 2 doses/day about 2 weeks ago and experienced immediate AS. I'm consuming ad libitum about 1500 calories per day including the oil. I'm trying to stay full as much as possible for reasons described at http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4034.0 but 1500 cals is all I can manage.

I started at 4T because I read that larger size folk had more success with more oil. I'm 6'3" with a good amount of muscle under the fat suit and I figured I may as well start at 4T, then increase to 5T if need be. There seems no need. I can imagine if AS gets deeper as some report that I might eventually reduce to 3T or 2T. But for now I'm just tinkering with times and dosages to see how things work best.

The last couple of days I've done Breakfast of 1 egg fried in butter followed by fresh juice and liquid B vitamins. Then 1.5 Tbls ELOO 1.5 hours later. At least an hour after that lunch is whatever is handy and as much as I can manage. No red meat but fresh juice with it if possible. Then 1.5 Tbls ELOO in the afternoon. Dinner is generally home cooked and low GI. Then 1Tbl just before bed.

I understand some people's guts don't tolerate the ELOO but for me this isn't a problem using lowerboy's method and a half tsp of sugar mixed in. Apart guts from tolerating oil there any other reason to start with lower dosages?
Fat ---- Me -------- Thin                    (Going back on ELOO)

go2grl

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 10:21:12 pm »

Not to speak for Stephen...but I believe it's all  about allowing your stomach adjust to the oil.
Living La Vida SLD!

MASHaholic

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 02:58:32 am »

I would agree. I started out at 1 TBS X2 per day and eventually pushed up my intake to 2TBS X2 per day. I still wonder if I am not cutting myself short as I may not be AS knowledgeable. I am just not sure. I eat mostly out of habit. The same thing with every addiction I have had. Food seems to be one of them...

OK I am doing the math, but yet i do not understand. The formula listed on this site calls for the person's weight X3 to come up with the total amount in oil calories? ie...

Weight X 3 = Calories in Oil

270     X 3 = 810 Calories?

I am in the Middle east and the calories usually are not listed on things here (or they are in Arabic). What amount would this be if i am correct? Thanks all...

One Day at a Time...

go2grl

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:59 pm »

Mashaholic, it should be your weight x 2...so 540 calories.  You are probably good sticking wtih 4T of oil, which equals 480 calories.  Most oils have 120 calories per T and regular sugar has 45 calories per T.  Hope this helps.  :)
Living La Vida SLD!

MASHaholic

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 05:34:01 am »

Wow!!! It sure did... I think if I am not mistaken that I have finally achieved SA! I stopped by a sandwich shop here and ordered some frie and little burgers and killed the fries (was not on my list to eat) and stopped and ate two of these little sandwiches an hour later (used to call them sliders back home) and have felt satisfied for the last two hours? Could it be that I am there? I hope so! To be honest I feel Full! Perhaps I have had it and just never noticed it?

One Day at a Time...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18