Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)  (Read 94208 times)

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:29:30 AM »

I've been working on different protocols to suggest to people, here is one I started to post on my site when blogger crashed and took the entire original post with it.

First you need to start with a commitment to taking a long, slow approach.

Second this approach is based on oil.  When you use oil you need to realize that all oils are not the same thing.  Your body metabolizes them all differently.  Switching oils is the same as starting over, and for most people, switching oils means a loss of a week or two.  Anyone who reports trying 4-5 types of oil in a couple months should not expect any success.

Third you will start with one tablespoon of sugar, one cup of water and one tablespoon of oil.  To start use a 50/50 blend of canola oil and extra light (not extra virgin) olive oil.  Dissolve the sugar in the water, pour the oil on top, swirl and drink at 10:00 a.m. every day.  No flavor, no cigarettes, no mints, no snuff, no flavored lipstick, etc. from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

Do this for a week.  At the end of the week, if you have appetite sup presion, continue.  If not, then.

Fourth, adjust.  If your appetite hasn't reduced, go up to a second tablespoon of oil.  Do a week at two tablespoons.  If it works, stay at that level, if it doesn't, go up to three tablespoons of oil.  Stay there for a week, if it works, fine, if not, go up another tablespoon.

Fifth, use a food plan to start.  Check out a South Beach recipe collection from your local library.  Use that as a rough guide for the first two months -- using it to avoid ditto foods, to avoid high gylcemic index foods and to make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet.  An easy substitution is to eat eggs and whole wheat toast (dry) for breakfast, fat free yogurt for lunch, sandwich, green beans and salad for dinner.  Diet soda for a snack.  May get a little boring, but what you are after is stabilization and enough bulk and enough protein in your diet.

Sixth make sure you are getting enough water and enough vitamins.  Note how much tea Seth reports that he drinks.  I get a lot of fluids myself, even if I don't drink tea.

Seventh Join oa.org or a similar group (OA is free, which is why I recommend it).

Give this regimen two months, eight to nine weeks, if you have had problems and have decided to start, or restart, the diet.

I'm still working on a second two month program.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

Re: Starting (or starting over if it didn't work the first time)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »

I've got part two up, how to handle months three and four.

http://ethesis.blogspot.com/2006/09/shangri-la-diet-moving-on-to-months.html

dgrillot2000

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »

Third you will start with one tablespoon of sugar, one cup of water and one tablespoon of oil.  To start use a 50/50 blend of canola oil and extra light (not extra virgin) olive oil.  Dissolve the sugar in the water, pour the oil on top, swirl and drink at 10:00 a.m. every day.  No flavor, no cigarettes, no mints, no snuff, no flavored lipstick, etc. from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

Do this for a week.  At the end of the week, if you have appetite sup presion, continue.  If not, then.

Fourth, adjust.  If your appetite hasn't reduced, go up to a second tablespoon of oil.  Do a week at two tablespoons.  If it works, stay at that level, if it doesn't, go up to three tablespoons of oil.  Stay there for a week, if it works, fine, if not, go up another tablespoon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen,

Did you forget to mention the afternoon dose?  Or are you suggesting only taking oil in the AM?

I thought that many started with 2 tbsps from the git go...one in the AM and one in the PM.  I know my friend and I both did.  I have heard some people have difficulty handling 2 tbsp at first, but some do not.

DG

I THINK I CAN. I THINK I MIGHT. I THOUGHT I COULD!  I THINK I WILL!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:00:56 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stephen,

Did you forget to mention the afternoon dose?  Or are you suggesting only taking oil in the AM?

I thought that many started with 2 tbsps from the git go...one in the AM and one in the PM.  I know my friend and I both did.  I have heard some people have difficulty handling 2 tbsp at first, but some do not.

DG

I was just simplifying it, and trying to reduce trouble (or why one tablespoon at first, then a second, etc., with a week between dose increases).

Yes, if you can, at first splitting the doses up, etc., works a bit better.

santosh

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:22:12 AM »

Stephen,

I've been on SLD for one week- I take 2 T of ELOO at night at 11, right before bed(timing wise that works best for me). My appetite is really under control, but I don't feel like I've lost any weight. Pls. help, should I add something?

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »

Stephen,

I've been on SLD for one week- I take 2 T of ELOO at night at 11, right before bed(timing wise that works best for me). My appetite is really under control, but I don't feel like I've lost any weight. Pls. help, should I add something?

Well, most digital scales don't register weight change of less than two pounds in order to appear more reliable than they really are.  Though if your appetite is really under control, give it a while, then add another tablespoon to ELOO or try taking the ELOO with a teaspoon of sugar in half a cup of water if you haven't lost any weight by the end of week two.

lessofme

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:20:06 PM »

O! Dear -- I use two types of oil -- ELOO in the morning and refined walnut at night.  I lost 5 pounds really fast taking the oil at 10:00 and 2:00 and then I didn't lose any more -- we had a family emergency and I couldn't do that so I took it at 6:00 am and 8:00 pm and I lost 3 pounds in 4 days.  Maybe the body likes variety.  Maybe I'll use ELOO only because it definitely hands appetite better for me.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 04:53:00 AM »

O! Dear -- I use two types of oil -- ELOO in the morning and refined walnut at night.  I lost 5 pounds really fast taking the oil at 10:00 and 2:00 and then I didn't lose any more -- we had a family emergency and I couldn't do that so I took it at 6:00 am and 8:00 pm and I lost 3 pounds in 4 days.  Maybe the body likes variety.  Maybe I'll use ELOO only because it definitely hands appetite better for me.

Don't worry, that kind of routine is fine.  The kind of oil switching I'm talking about is doing ELOO for 3-4 days, then Wanut for 3-4 days, then Canola for 3-4 days, etc.

As long as it is working for you, keep it up and don't change.  Different oils at different times of day, but the same each day, is a great idea, less of any one oil for the body to adjust to.

fran

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:59:38 PM »

Hi Stephen,
I am new to the forums and to Sld. I read about it in the Woman's World mag and went out and surfed the book at the bookstore. I have been trying it for about 2 wks, although I have not been faithful or haven't been doing it right because I have had mild appetite suppression and I haven't reduced my calories too much. I guess I was somewhat confused about the flavor free window period. I would drink the sugar water at 12pm and have lunch at 1pm. I guess what I am asking is should  I stop having things right at 11am-that way I have no flavor that one hour then drink the hot sugar water at 12pm and eat at one. Because before I would have flavor right up til 12pm then drink the sugar water and then have lunch. I am a little confused so any help is appreciate.  I am going to try the oil with the sugar water to see if I get a greater reduction in my gigantic appetite. I am 165 pounds at 5ft4in. so I need to lose atleast 25-30pounds to be in my right weight range. I am trying to be patient but it is hard because I have been battling this weight issue since I was a teen and that was about 20 yrs ago. Back in 2001 i was at my heaviest which was 220 because I was a caretaker to my mom who was dying from cancer so that was alot of stress. Through proper diet and exercise i was able to get to 165 which was my weight back in the 1990's. that's why i believe seth is right about the set point because my weight always gravitate to 165 and I can't get it to bulge. I was really strict with diet and exercise from 2002-2004 but now it's like I have gotten so tired from dieting all my life and it's like I am emotionally and mentally drained. I just want to be my right weight just once in my life and to stop being at war with my body. I appreciate your advice and am willing to follow it since I have tried all types of pills and shakes in the past. Just let me know if I am correct about the flavor free time period. Thanks,
Fran :D

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 01:35:40 PM »

hould  I stop having things right at 11am-that way I have no flavor that one hour then drink the hot sugar water at 12pm and eat at one.

Yes, an hour before and after.

TalkingRat

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 02:19:12 PM »

So in that example, the flavorfree window would be 11-1:30 (an hour before starting and an hour after finishing).

terio

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »

Don't forget that you should drink the sugar water slowly, over about a half an hour period to avoid blood sugar spikes.  Your flavorless window starts when you are done drinking the sugar water.

fran

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »

thanks terio for the reminder. one time i dranked it too fast and ended up with a headache and i definetly don't need that again.

Julia Dream

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 08:58:20 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this whole thing, but decided to try this diet, because I don't have anything to lose, and because I would really love to be the weight I actually need to be. So, I've decided to go the Extra Light Olive Oil route. Anyway, I took my first dose of oil, as directed, and (four hours later) my stomach, although not upset, feels full and a bit uncomfortable, as it did when I first took it. It isn't nausea, but it's just a weird rolling feeling I've not experienced before in the past. So, is this normal? As I said, I'm new, so I really don't know. I mean, it isn't a bad feeling per-se...It's just different.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 08:01:31 AM »

It's normal, Julia.  It often takes a few days for your stomach to adjust to digesting the oil.  It will go away in time.  If you're very uncomfortable, try breaking your oil into smaller doses.  Welcome and good luck!

T-Vix

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18