sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The other great benefit I've seen [from SLD], the thing that makes it worth chugging my mix of oil and water twice a day in and of itself, is the change I've felt in my attitude toward myself. I no longer feel disordered and tortured and ashamed. I no longer feel that I'm daily failing at something that so many people seem to find so easy and effortless. Now this thing I've fought with my whole life has become so much easier, so very nearly effortless for me as well. It turns out it wasn't a fundamental failure of my essential being after all. Who'd have guessed? -- Daffodil-11

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study  (Read 1469 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shinju_chan

Re: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:53:59 am »

I've always believed this actually, after I learned about how drugs affect fetuses.  So when people say "it's in my genes, my parents are fat" I always thought about if this could be true.  Thanks for the article, I'm happy that they're studying this.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:27:41 am »

Glad you liked it shinju-chan, I wonder if a big scale study on how the mothers of obese ppl ate during pregnancy were done, would it show results that correlated with this study! I wish someone thought of such a study.  :)

Another article on pregnancy and weight that might be of interest to our younger female members (by younger I mean still looking to start a family), here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070726193820.htm

The first study really doesn't bring anything new, but the second has some food for thought (no pun intended!):

"The second study looked at whether a change in the mother's nutritional balance increased the risk of a premature birth. They found that women whose BMI fell by five or more units between pregnancies had a higher risk of giving birth prematurely than women whose weight remained stable or increased. The risk was significantly higher for women who had already had a premature birth (80% versus 28%)."

( I added the bold print )

So it appears that any major weight change, either up or down, would harm subsequent pregnancies! So the common sensical idea that a woman should get to her healthy weight well before a pregnancy has now evidence supporting it, if I got it right.

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18