sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I do however, still eat more of the sweet stuff than is conducive to fat loss. What has happened in the last 5 days is that I find it no trouble whatsoever to abstain from eating these foods. I can walk past them in the supermarket without batting an eyelid. I also love to bake and I made salted caramel shortbread for my work colleagues this week and whereas previously I would have had 2 or 3 with my cup of tea, plus more the next day, I only had one on the first day and really didn't fancy it the next. What can I say - unprecedented and unbelievable! -- BettieCA57

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study  (Read 1527 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shinju_chan

Re: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:53:59 am »

I've always believed this actually, after I learned about how drugs affect fetuses.  So when people say "it's in my genes, my parents are fat" I always thought about if this could be true.  Thanks for the article, I'm happy that they're studying this.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: Poor diet in pregnancy can cause child obesity: study
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:27:41 am »

Glad you liked it shinju-chan, I wonder if a big scale study on how the mothers of obese ppl ate during pregnancy were done, would it show results that correlated with this study! I wish someone thought of such a study.  :)

Another article on pregnancy and weight that might be of interest to our younger female members (by younger I mean still looking to start a family), here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070726193820.htm

The first study really doesn't bring anything new, but the second has some food for thought (no pun intended!):

"The second study looked at whether a change in the mother's nutritional balance increased the risk of a premature birth. They found that women whose BMI fell by five or more units between pregnancies had a higher risk of giving birth prematurely than women whose weight remained stable or increased. The risk was significantly higher for women who had already had a premature birth (80% versus 28%)."

( I added the bold print )

So it appears that any major weight change, either up or down, would harm subsequent pregnancies! So the common sensical idea that a woman should get to her healthy weight well before a pregnancy has now evidence supporting it, if I got it right.

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18