Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
SLD as Chick Magnet

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SLD as Chick Magnet  (Read 30862 times)

Nufftin

• A work in progress
SLD as Chick Magnet
« on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:17 AM »

I love it how djdawg has the brilliant idea of having a men's only board, and the major topics have been sports, beer, and poops. Not that those things aren't important (especially the poops), but it's so stereotypical of guys to talk around, a touchy subject (dieting as gendered activity). "Women don't sweat, they glow." Men lose weight by working out (active), women lose weight by dieting (passive).

One of the stories out of THE BOOK, was of this guy (Matt?) who, as he lost weight, became much less of a crying post for the women in his office. They were much less likely to come to his desk and talk about their relationship issues, because he had changed from someone who they would never think of dating to someone who could possibly come on to them.

For the men: Does this story ring true for you? Does it only show that women are just as shallow as men?

For the brave female souls who frequent this part of the site: Does this story ring true for you? Are women more looks-oriented that they are given credit for?

For all: What about the "Kevin James Syndrome" on television? For those of you who haven't seen "The King of Queens", Kevin James plays a  overweight UPS driver married to a hot Leah Remini. It also happens on "Family Guy" (Peter and Lois). Plain husbands paired with much more attractive spouses.

Now back to your regularly scheduled fart jokes. :-)

Conquering myself until/I see another hurdle approaching
Say we can, say we will/Not just another drop in the ocean.

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
Re: SLD as Chick Magnet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »

Ah yes, I recognise the case you're talking about -- it's Michael (at the top of this page).

Men and women are primitively wired to look for certain characteristics in a mate, including, among other things, desirable genetic characteristics and healthiness.  Fortunately, when it comes to perceived genetic characteristics, tastes vary, and there's someone for nearly everyone.  For instance, some men like their women to be waif-like thin, while some like a Rubenesque build, and others are more middle-of-the-road.  I've also heard that some people subconsciously look for partners who resemble themselves (out of a sense of genetic affinity), which would explain why some couples look to other people like brother and sister.  And as far as healthiness goes,  I don't think there'd be much doubt that Michael looks much more the part in his "after" photo.

My gut feeling is that, while both genders (unavoidably, because they're wired for it) take at least some account of the other's looks, looks form a less important part of women's assessment of men than vice versa.

As my compatriots here will know, Australia's richest man -- a rather (as far as I can judge) ordinary-looking and flabby man, who inherited the richest-man mantle from his media mogul father who died a while back -- recently gave up his bachelorhood and married ... surprise, surprise ... a model.  I guess that might be the ultimate stereotypical example of what one might cynically suspect as bilateral shallowness. :)

You expect fart jokes?  Well, here's what Google returned when I queried it a while back about a problem that's apparently common among people who take protein supplements.  At least I know I'm not alone. :)

(Oops ... according to Wikipedia, Australia's richest man was previously married ... to a swimsuit model.  And before her, he was engaged for a while to ... a model-cum-actress.  How utterly surprising of all concerned.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:31:00 PM by Tandoori Trilobite »

K-Mac

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

One of the stories out of THE BOOK, was of this guy (Matt?) who, as he lost weight, became much less of a crying post for the women in his office. They were much less likely to come to his desk and talk about their relationship issues, because he had changed from someone who they would never think of dating to someone who could possibly come on to them.

Well I have always found it pretty easy to talk to just about anyone, male or female, but the above scenario is probably true for a lot of women.  I got suckered into buying $100 worth of cosmetics at a department store the other day because the gay man helping me was so darn friendly and easy to talk to.  I've been wondering ever since, if he would have been straight, would I have bought so much?  (I'm not a big shopper and I don't even wear a lot of make up, so this guy was either good at sales and/or really easy to talk to.)  While I think several factors come into play here, I think the fact that you have absolutely no plans to date someone could allow you to speak more openly with them.  (Which is kinda weird in and of itself...don't we want to be able to date someone we could speak openly with??)  Humans are weird.  :lol:

For all: What about the "Kevin James Syndrome" on television? For those of you who haven't seen "The King of Queens", Kevin James plays a  overweight UPS driver married to a hot Leah Remini. It also happens on "Family Guy" (Peter and Lois). Plain husbands paired with much more attractive spouses.

I've often wondered that about TV shows, but I knew a very attractive woman that I worked with who was totally and completely attracted to big guys.  Muscles, fat, it didn't matter.  She wanted a big, strong, teddy bear-type of man.  And she married one.  I think of her frequently when watching King of Queens because her and her husband were like the Southern version of Doug and Carrie.   :lol:

Now back to your regularly scheduled fart jokes. :-)

Cool!

minty

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 05:31:20 AM »

ok, I'm going to generalise and speak on behalf of all the women I have ever known and talked with!

we like men to be sweet on the eye!

:D

So if your cheekbones are more prominent when you lose some weight, and your jaw line is more rugged, you are going to be treated more as a potential love interest than someone who isnt that way. FACT!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »

........So if your cheekbones are more prominent when you lose some weight, and your jaw line is more rugged, you are going to be treated more as a potential love interest than someone who isnt that way. FACT!
Minty, you forgot ...........and if I can get a decent hug without a massive beer gut getting in the way.......

or were you just being more diplomatic than me  :? !?

shinju_chan

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 07:35:07 AM »

I guess for me, "female shallow-ness" means competing with women to look pretty rather than having particularly high standards in men's looks.  I will personally admit that I have a painfully weak spot for intelligence and "smart-looking" men, well-put together clothes, healthy-looking, etc. rather than for generally "good-looking."  I have heard very few men say the same thing about women  :?

In fact sometimes I'm completely turned off by really good looking guys if they look like they know it, a bizarre sort of mistrust I suppose.  I'm curious if any men feel the same way about women who looks really good and know it, but somehow I doubt it  :roll:

falconcy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:04:57 AM »

WOW!!!! You mean I'm gonna become a Chick Magnet, WIKKID!!!! - I owe it all to Seth ;-)

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »

Now just hose yourself down there, falconcy!  The dragon might've already woken up to that possibility, too. :D

Shinju_chan -- I just happened to notice your ticker.  I can recall you joining the board, and I've gotta say it -- you've made damn impressive progress.  Well done!

Magpie

• It's not a sparrow. It's a bird with attitude.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »

In fact sometimes I'm completely turned off by really good looking guys if they look like they know it, a bizarre sort of mistrust I suppose.

Not at all bizarre, Shinju Chan!!  Ever heard of the 'halo effect'? 

It's where we attribute or assume attractive people have positive personality traits just because they are good looking, and as a consequence, very good looking people can often get away with very unattractive behaviour, and they also don't have to work as hard at developing "nice" personalities.  And yes, this is a generalisation, but hey, I studied it in Psychology at University, so don't blame me for the theory.

I've often wondered too if the opposite happens - where people who are very unattractive develop personalities in response to other people's 'rejection' of them.

Shinju Chan, one of THE MOST drop-dead devinely gorgeous-looking men I ever met, (over 30 years ago and I can still remember his face!) , turned out to be one of the most ugly people I've ever known - totally selfish, inconsiderate, unfeeling, manipulative, self-centered....plus plus plus.  He didn't have to be decent and nice, especially to women, as his looks reeled them in like placid fish!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »

reminds me of that country song

She Ain't Pretty, She Justs Looks That Way :D
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

falconcy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »

I suspect that the older we get, the more experienced we are when it comes to thinking about potential partners. In our younger days, we were all pretty naive and hopefully learned over the years from the experiences of our past.

anacara

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »

As my compatriots here will know, Australia's richest man -- a rather (as far as I can judge) ordinary-looking and flabby man, who inherited the richest-man mantle from his media mogul father who died a while back -- recently gave up his bachelorhood and married ... surprise, surprise ... a model

I wouldn't have said "ordinary-looking".  More like downright ugly!

falconcy

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 03:49:48 AM »

Surely you mean Super Mega Fugly anacara ;-)

djdawg

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »

I haven't had a chance to partake in the boards as of late and I'm running right now as usual so I haven't had the chance to read all the responses....but...very interesting thread.

I think the phenomenon of the women suddenly not going to Matt (?) as their crying post has more to do with other factors aside from him losing weight.

Someone mentioned how we are hardwired as men and women and that is definitely true.  With women looks can be important but the things that women are drawn to more are money, power and fame.  I think the loss in weight may have not necessarily triggered the fact that he was "better looking"  (although I'm sure that played a role somehow) but more so that he was now seemingly more in control of himself.  Being in control breeds confidence which equals power. 

Nufftin

• A work in progress
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »

Gosh, if women are drawn to money power and fame, I think my wife made a BIG mistake!  :-)

Conquering myself until/I see another hurdle approaching
Say we can, say we will/Not just another drop in the ocean.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18