Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
questions about anxiety, depression and SLD

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: questions about anxiety, depression and SLD  (Read 11874 times)

zenith

questions about anxiety, depression and SLD
« on: July 02, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »

Hello,
New to the forums today with a question.  I started the SLD four days ago and everything is going pretty well except I notice more anxiety and I started crying in church yesterday, and I almost never cry anymore. I am 53 y/o female and about 25 pounds over weight.
I take Paxil and Buspar and this combination has been perfect for my anxiety/depression/panic disorder for at least the past 8 years.
So, I really don't want to mess with it.  I am also a little hypoglycemic.
I am taking 2 Tbls. of ELOO per day.
Any suggestions?
Thanks so much,
Zenith

terio

Re: questions about anxiety, depression and SLD
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »

Fish Oil!!!  Particularly high EPA fish oil.  There is a lot of research that fish oil fights depression.  I have gone off of prescription antidepressants altogether since starting fish oil.  Here's some good info:  http://fattyacidtrip.com/

zenith

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:51:48 PM »

Hi Terio,
Fish oil!!!!! Okay. Capsules, how much? Give me a little more info please. Do you just eat more fish or take supplements?
Thanks,
Zenith

TalkingRat

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »

I take 6 capsules, Kirkland (Costco) brand, with EPA/DHA content of 1.8g.   Oily sea fish would help, too, if it's wild or at least ocean fed.

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »

I found my depressive episodes decreased when I started taking oil.  My DH (dear hubby) commented the other day that I handled stress much better on the oil.

terio

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »

I take the same brand and dosage as Talkingrat.  You want to aim for 1000 mg of EPA.  I get 1080 mg with 6 capsules of the Kirkland brand.

zenith

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »

Thanks to all for your replies! I will check it out and let you know how it goes.

zenith

TalkingRat

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:26:04 PM »

Terio, if you take what I do, each cap has 0.3g omega3 (180mg EPA + 120mg DHA) -- so that would be 6 x .3 = 1.8g, still under the recommended safe daily amount for fishoil.. 

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »

My anxiety is way down and my mood way up, post SLD. I say fish oil, too. I got tired of the capsules, though. I take one tablespoon of  Carlson's salmon oil, not as part of my SLD regimen. It really has worked wonders...
Running weight tally:

K-Mac

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »

I feel like my overall attitude/moodiness has improved with SLD, and I have suffered bouts of depression in the past.  Zenith, I wonder if it has to do with weight loss in general?  Some of us have had hormonal issues due to the fact that estrogen is stored in fat and as we lose the weight, our bodies are releasing estrogen.  (I've barely had a period since starting SLD, for example.)  Maybe you lost some fat and gained some estrogen just in time for church and you were just over emotional due to hormones?  And I hate to bring up the "M" word, but you're at the age my mother was at when she was going through "the change" and she would cry over a car commercial.  (Don't you just love being a woman?)   :lol:

Caligal

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »

I feel like my overall attitude/moodiness has improved with SLD, and I have suffered bouts of depression in the past.  Zenith, I wonder if it has to do with weight loss in general?  Some of us have had hormonal issues due to the fact that estrogen is stored in fat and as we lose the weight, our bodies are releasing estrogen.  (I've barely had a period since starting SLD, for example.)  Maybe you lost some fat and gained some estrogen just in time for church and you were just over emotional due to hormones?  And I hate to bring up the "M" word, but you're at the age my mother was at when she was going through "the change" and she would cry over a car commercial.  (Don't you just love being a woman?)   :lol:

Hi, just thought I would add to this discussion.   I'm in my 60's, went through the change 12 yrs ago and haven't had any type of HRT for the last 6 - 7 yrs.  The during the second through the fourth weeks of SLD, I had mood swings, headaches, and breast tenderness exactly like I had when I was having my TOM.  Estrogen is stored in the fat cells of most women, especially if you carry most of your weight in your hips, buttocks, and thighs....then of course, since I have been through the change, once the stored amounts were released, I had a few days of night sweats and hot flashes.   All is OK now.   That was my experience.

Cali
CALIGAL
Member since 2006
Restarting Jan 09

zenith

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:05 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the very interesting comments. It all makes sense now that you have shared your comments. I am on Day 9 of SLD and I am not experiencing those things now. It was very weird at the time thought.[/size] I had a hysterectomy a few years ago so I don't think I am going through the change. But the estrogen in the fat cells does make sense. I take HRT.
It is very good you posted your comments, so I will know if I start having more of these symptoms that they will pass.

Update on SLD ride. I had wine and a beer on 4th of July night. The next day I was up two pounds, but I think it is finally coming off now. (water retention).
 I think I will try to avoid drinking for awhile.
Other than that, I can report good AS using two tablespoons of oil per day. One AM and one in the afternoon around 4 pm.
I missed two doses. One on the 3rd and one on the 4th. On the third I was too sleepy to stay up and wait to take it. And on the 4th I had been drinking, so I decided not to take it then.
But I have been back on program since the 5th.  I really like this regimen!
I believe it is going to work well for me.
I appreciate everyone's comments.
zenith

K-Mac

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »

It was very weird at the time thought.[/size] I had a hysterectomy a few years ago so I don't think I am going through the change. But the estrogen in the fat cells does make sense. I take HRT.

My mom had a hysterectomy in her late 30s or early 40s and she still went through menopause in early 50s.  I can't remember what her Dr told her about that, but we were all shocked you could go thru menopause after having a hysterectomy, but it may be worth discussing with your Dr next time you're there.

terio

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

My mom had a hysterectomy in her late 30s or early 40s and she still went through menopause in early 50s.  I can't remember what her Dr told her about that, but we were all shocked you could go thru menopause after having a hysterectomy, but it may be worth discussing with your Dr next time you're there.

If you keep your ovaries, then you will still go through menopause when the ovaries slow down production of hormones.

zenith

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »

I don't have my ovaries either. So, if I am going thru menopause, it is news to me.   :?
I have wondered about that, if you do go thru the menopause in some ways even if you have had a hysterectomy.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18